New DVD Player and Auto Scaling Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mao, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Mao

Mao Auditioning

Okay, so I'm due for my third DVD player...I've got a Hitachi 53" widescreen set and I'm told I must go Progressive Scan with component cables.
    I'm pretty dumb on tech issues and I keep hearing about auto scaling and no one I know seems to know what planet I'm from when I mention it? [​IMG]
    Can anyone explain it in laymen's terms and recommend a player, either available now or rumored to be on the horizon, that is both progressive scan and does auto scaling (without me having to do anything but push the "play" button)?
    Thanks for your input!

2. Mao

Mao Auditioning

Anyone?

3. Mao

Mao Auditioning

Anyone know if the Hitachi 53" locks into full mode when fed a progressive signal?

Right now, I'm using a boring old S-Video connection and always have the choices of 4 screen modes...

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The Panasonic RP91 is availble now. It does progressive scan, dvd audio, and auto scaling for non-anamaphoric dvd's. I'm not familar with your hitachi set, but if it does not lock into full you can use your tv's zoom modes to scale up the image, although it will not equal the 91's scaling abilities. There are also some other players out there that are lest costly that are progressive scan and scale, but the 91 is still considered by many to be one of the best, if not the best, available. I would suggest you do a search for scaling, as this topic as been discussed in depth.