What's new

New DVD packaging threat ! (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
With Warner slowly abandoning its snapper packaging, you might have thought it was safe to go back in the water.

But no ! My last two R2 Universal purchases - the PSYCHO COLLECTION and HULK - have both had packaging where the discs actually overlap i.e two hubs to one side of the disc.

This is pretty horrible aesthetically but the worst part is the actual hub itself. In order to keep the discs attached, they've used those (and excuse me as I try to describe them ) really rock-hard hubs that don't give at all when you push them. They're sharp, too, so not only do you risk snapping the disc as you try to prise it free, you also get a heavy circular indentation in your thumb. Foul and very, very stupid.

Anyone else encountered these monstrosities ? Is this what the future holds ?!

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Keepcases! Keepcases! Why must they keep trying to reinvent the wheel (or hub so to speak)? Leave well enough alone! I'll bet these are a cent cheaper to buy than the others. Probably saves them a lot of money.

Real Name
Anthony
No, the hubs themselves don't overlap, just the discs.

Two hubs, one above the other, a disc on each - so you have to remove the top disc in order to get to the one beneath.

It's nasty, Dave, believe me!

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I have yet to encounter these, but if I do it will be returned.

All these studios get so fancy in the packages and don't understand that most collectors just want standard keep cases.

I will not be buying the Alien box set for this reason. I don't want to fold out 5.5 feet of digi pack to get at the disc. When the individual DVDs come out in January I may get those if they are in keep cases. I got rid of my origional Bruce Lee box set because it was a pain to get the discs out and that was only 5 discs. :angry: :thumbsdown:

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Randy: Why don't you buy seperate keepcases, go to dvdcoverart.com and get some of the superb custom art available there to replace the digipacks??? Almost all digipack sets will be converted to standard keepcases there, and you just have to go to a print shop or order printouts at dv-depot... Problems like this do indeed have an easy solution...

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
In the case of a keepcase with a badly-designed hub, like what you are describing with the Hulk, I would just replace it with an Aramay case. I have 5 banks on hand for just such a problem

And I hope Warner contines to put big releases in keepcases.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

I have been doing this with all my snappers and digipacks, but it gets quite expensive and I still have close to 100 to convert.

With the Alien Quadrilogy ttat would still leave the 9th disc without a cover unless somebody does a cover for that one also.

I have plenty of spare keepcases on hand including slim doubles and other multidisc cases. so that is not a problem.

I have been ordering 25-30 covers at a time but I always seem to be adding more digipacks that need converting.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
OK Randy... I KNOW that someone at dvdcoverart will do matching covers for the entire set, including the extras disc - he says so on the forum! :)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
I just for the life of me cannot picture what you are describing with the "overlapping hubs" thing!
David, I believe this is what he's describing (as taken from the Man Show S1 V2 set)...

(I've not gotten around to making a set of thinpak covers to match the 1st set yet).

I've also seen some cases that do this in a 4 pack (two on each side).

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
Well, before I was 50/50 on the Man Show discs, my mind is now made up. That's horrendous. Why don't the just put a flipper in the middle like the Star Wars disks?

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
OK....
:thumbsdown:
So if we are lucky enough to get an insert, it will cover up one of the discs too?

Methinks I need to get a good color printer and jump on the custom case/cover bandwagon should these atrocities catch on.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Looks fine with me. The only way they'd get scratched is if there was sand or something on the disc that got wedged between the two.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Wait...there's a Psycho Collection? Does it include all four films? OAR? Anamorphic?

If so, does anyone know of any plans to release it in region 1?

Oh...yeah...about those cases...don't like 'em.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Does anyone know where I can get blank cases? I would like to start using the DVD cover art site to replace my snappers. When I look online, most of the sites require large orders. I just want to pick up individual cases and one or two of the 6 DVD cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks