New DVD magazine out: "LOOK"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricSchulz, Mar 17, 2005.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I was at the doctor today, and while I was waiting, this magazine caught my eye: "LOOK". It's published by Entertainment Weekly, and was dated Spring '05. Slightly larger than a typical magazine, glossy pages, full color. Nice graphics. Interviews, set visits for films in production, pieces on current and upcoming releases. There was a 'pullout' on heavy paper (like 'The Must List' in EW) that had major DVD releases for March and April listed. Lots of DVD reviews, and a seperate section for TV on DVD. Nice magazine, but no really in-depth articles. Could not find a price or subscription info before I went to see the doctor. Anyone got any more info on this?

Mods: if this is not a good fit for this forum, feel free to move it elsewhere.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

This is a trial publication from EW. I got one as a subscriber and the form inside said that launch will be determined by the response to this issue. Either way, I thought it was a great magazine. It had tons of great stories and almost all of them were worth reading through... rarely does that happen!

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I even checked EW's website for info...none! Google found references to the original Look magazine. Thanks for the info!

4. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

There was a magazine called LOOK in the '30s and '40s. Also oversized, main competetor to Saturday Evening Post. Interesting.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

But does it come with a DISC?

6. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

That's where Ralphie hid the Red Rider sales pitch for his mom to see.

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

No, it does not. It's not a DVD-centric magazine. While it does reference DVD's quite a bit, I would classify it more as a movie magazine.

8. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael

Exactly.

I got the issue as I subscribe to EW but I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to give EW feedback on it.

9. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Well since they say that they would like to hear what people think and to send comments to [email protected] I would start there.

I sent in my subscriber card. I love the magazine and would say it is 50/50 movie/dvd content. There are a lot od dvd review and they are really interesting. The cover claims there are 145 dvd reviews. They also focus a lot on tv on dvd releases.

10. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

If you take part in the FRONT ROW panel, we should be getting a survey on it.

11. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I was at Barnes and Noble tonight and it was for sale in the Pop Culture area, $3.99 cover price. I'm gonna pick it up.

12. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

I bet it was used to hide certain other publications by a great number of boys waiting while their dads got haircuts at the barber shop, too. [​IMG]

13. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Being a semi-dinosaur, LOOK to me is still linked as a name to a long defunct magazine--it was actually around a long time, always in LIFE's shadow (LIFE now being a ghostly supplement in newspapers). LOOK lasted well into the '70s, always a fixture in libraries and newsstands. I assume ETW (which I'm a charter subscriber to!) figures the vast majority of subscribers have no memory whatsoever of the original LOOK.

They are....almost wrong. What was their alternate magazine title? LIBERTY? COLLIERS? [​IMG]

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Sounds like a good magazine. I've been a longtime EW subscriber and have never seen it.

Another good DVD magazine out there, GIANT magazine. It just published its 4th issue this month. It is a cross between EW, Premiere, and a smarter, non sleazy MAXIM. It is all DVD, movie, music, book reviews and interviews.

One of the issues had a profile of some celebrity (forgot who) with a sort of map to their home entertainment center, complete with a listing of every DVD they owned. Very cool feature.

The new one has a reunion interview with the cast of OFFICE SPACE and a piece by Joe Bob Briggs on Japanese horror films.

Great magazine. One of the only ones that I can say I read just about every word in it. Every article is terrific.

15. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael

Well I already knew that EW wanted to know what people thought which is why I wondered how I was supposed to tell them. Maybe I'm misreading you but the wording you chose came off as a smartass.