New DVD/CD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matthew_rm, Jul 23, 2002.

1. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

-my bedroom system
    I now have a Denon 2802 (love it) and Klispch RF3 II's. I also own a Sony NS300 DVD player. (Sony rears)
    I do not have a high end TV.
    I want a new player for DVD's and CD's and anything else it will play. Music is the biggest reason for this. I want better. Warmer, cleaner. For around $500 CDN, what should I get? I would get a changer.
    Movies work fine on my Sony. So a CD ONLY player would be fine[​IMG]
    Thanks for any replies[​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matthew, for CD changers, consider:
    * Sony SCD-CE775 SACD/CD changer: It has been discontinued with no replacement being announced. You might still be able to find one, however. SACD is an excellent format and worth considering in a purchase.
    * Sony CDP-CA70ES CD changer: A few years old now, but it is still in production.
    * Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer: A step-up model from the 'CE775, it has been said that this model has been discontinued as well. Build quality and sound quality are better than the 'CE775.
    * Marantz CC4000 CD changer: A solid value, though I find the sound to be too warm.
    * Denon DCM-370 CD changer: Another solid value. Build quality could be better.
    As for DVD changers, see www.crutchfield.com for a good selection. Sony's new DVP-NC615 and 'NC655P look to be good values. Neither play SACDs. You might be able to find the Sony 'NC650V DVD/SACD changer, which has been discontinued. As with the 'CE775, a replacement for the 'NC650V has not been announced.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Matthew, I just bought a Marantz CC-3000 5 cd changer and have it hooked up to a Pioneer D811S receiver. It works well and is quieter than the lower end Sony I have in another part of the house. As for sound quality, I tested it with both the analog outs and the digital coax out to the receiver. I have a pair of CSW Newton M50 bookshelves hooked up as the mains. The differences were pretty minor but the analog outs have a slightly fuller and warmer sound. It was a good value for $200. They also have two higher end models in the same line that are going for $250 and $350 respectively.

good luck,

--tom