What's new

New DVD Case from the makers of Amarays (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Nexpak, makers of Amaray cases, have introduced their NexCase system:
[c] [/c]
The slogan for it is "Simplify your Security", and presumably would eliminate the need for the security stickers on all three sides of the package.
The benefit to consumers who don't steal seems to be that the theft-proofing design should help eliminate rattlers:
Double interlocking walls on all opening edges and a new Disc-Lock tab keep discs securely in place so they cannot be slipped out of the bottom or side of the case. The NEXCASE also incorporates a patented push-button hub to protect media with an DVD-approved design and user-friendly operation that reduces improper media removal.
They state that it is the "same footprint as our standard Amaray case", and that the "same case can hold either one or two-disc DVD titles". I presume that they can invent versions to hold 3 to 7 discs, if they wanted to.
For more about it, read here. The destination also holds a link to a full press release.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Those security stickers on three sides really drives me nuts. This sounds very good if we can get rid of them.

Ron Birk

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that www.sleevetown.com now has the new Nexpak cases (singles and doubles).
One bad thing about the double Nexpak case (that I would not like at all) ..... No inside clips for a booklet! :thumbsdown:
Since both sides of the case each hold 1 disc, there's obviously no room left for any clips. Not a good thing for the anal among us collectors (like...er...me. :)) I guess you've either got to jam your booklets inside the case without being attached to anything at all .... or just eat your booklets/scene selection enclosures!!
I see that the single case does have the clips though.
I, myself, hate all double-disc DVD cases. (Esp. the double-thick jobs, like The French Connection, Forrest Gump, & ID4, et al.)
I always transfer 2-disc releases to a single-disc case....and then put the 2nd disc in one of these ..... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...732756-7673465 ..... and then slip the extra disc under one of the booklet clips. Saves space and keeps all my cases uniform. You guys should try it! Works fine....and one less hub to break! :)
Kind of hard to tell from the pictures what type of hubs these new cases offer. Sleevetown says it's a "squeeze release" hub. Wouldn't this be similar to the Alpha hub?

Ned

Supporting Actor
David-
You're supposed to be framing/laminating those "collectable booklets" :D
Leaving them in the case would be downright risky.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
You know we don't get those security stickers in the UK and the cases are the same...and I've never seen one fall out or anything...
Am I missing something? :confused:

Gavin_L

Second Unit
and I've never seen one fall out or anything...
theo i think david was talking about, how sometimes people get floaters, dvds which are not secured properly in the case and move around, most likely having the dvd end up with scratches, its happened to me a few times. Don't know if it happens when they make the dvds, or while in shipment.

but anyhow, like the cases, not bad of a idea, espicially save time taking off the security stickers from all sides

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The Nexpak has a link to a high-res image but it's *cough* 12MB. I saved a 200kb JPG here. Also, here are some small, close-up details of the hub and booklet clip:

-Dave

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Theo...
I'll bet you don't see the security stickers, because theft isn't such a huge problem in the U.K. :rolleyes

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Gavin_L: Right, I've certainly had my fair share of floaters - does seem to be common with certain types of cases and it is annoying.
David:
I'll bet you don't see the security stickers, because theft isn't such a huge problem in the U.K.
I wouldn't be so fatuous as to suggest that people don't steal in the UK but the shrinkwrapping stops discs being lifted and the store's own security stops the whole case going walkies :D.
CDs and DVDs from America seem to have these security seals stuck on by the actual DVD producer, which seems slightly insane to me...

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I've only counted 1 of my DVDs to not have the paper goods secured within the case (All In The Family Season 1 Set .... the book just kinda lays between the folds in the case. I'd rather have clips or a pocket....but it's obviously not worth committing harey-carey over. :))
But I see from the blow-up pic above that Nexpak is obviously coming out with TWO different styles of new cases.
That blow-up (with 2 disc holders) does indeed show booklet clips.....but evidently the el cheapo model (called the "EconPak") has no clips on the 2-disc model. ......

Description for the one above........
EconPak Slim Double by Nexpak (the Amaray Company) - the same quality construction you expect from a respected American case maker with a much lower price. The EconPak features squeeze-release hubs front and back for 2 DVDs plus a full clear sleeve for outside artwork. 5 1/4" x 7 1/2" x 9/16" No inside clips, no DVD logo. Black. New!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
CDs and DVDs from America seem to have these security seals stuck on by the actual DVD producer, which seems slightly insane to me...
What Wal-Mart wants, Wal-Mart gets.

How is Wal-Mart supposed to be able to tell that a DVD case has double interlocking walls? So these cases will still have security stickers on three sides. Wal-Mart wants security stickers. And pan & scan.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Can someone explain to me WHY the tightly wrapped shrinkwrap on every DVD isn't enough security by itself??

I see no reason for ANY stickers! Every disc is wrapped!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
David

I worked in video retail for several years. I can get a DVD out of the case (w/o stickers) and have it look virtually like it has never been touched. The security stickers stop people from doing that.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I can get a DVD out of the case (w/o stickers) and have it look virtually like it has never been touched.
I don't believe it! Shrinkwrap would be botched!

Why would you ever have practiced this?

How do you "re-shrinkwrap" it?? Sounds next to impossible to put it back in pristine condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks