new DVD and HDTV using HDMI - poor image quality

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John_Graz, Aug 29, 2006.

1. John_Graz

John_Graz Stunt Coordinator

I just got a
    Samsung HDTV HL-S5065W 50"
    Widescreen DLP® w/ 720p Resolution

Model: DVP5960/37

Philips DVD player (1080i) with HDMI digital video and audio connection. Turn up your experience with HDMI and USB connection. Step into another home entertainment arena as you immerse yourself with high definition video (720p/1080i).

I set it up using the 2 HDMI; 1 for the HD Cable and the other or the DVD player.

When I play a DVD the image is very grainy and poorer quality than my other non -prgressive scan DVD on my other 50 in big screen (non HD).

I must be overlooking a setup or a tweak. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi John - The Phillips DVP5960/37 is one of the lowest cost Upconverting DVD players available, at under $70 . How much quality were you expecting from a $5-$10 conversion chip? Most good Upconverting DVD players start at $100-$150 (or well over $500 for that matter)... You may want to consider returning this unit in favour of a more reputable Progressive Scan DVD player, which can certainly be found for under $100. Alternatively, try using the Component output on this unit and see if you get a more favourable image without any upconversion.

3. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

May want to double-check your connections and the DVD player output mode/set to 720p

4. John_Graz

John_Graz Stunt Coordinator

The component output helped alot but still not that great. It let me switch to 16:9 format. I will take your advise and try a higher cost unit...