New DVD-A releases-anyone tried yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Burgoyne, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I noticed several new dvd-a releases at the store: Wishbone Ash, Count Basie, Trey Anastasio (sp?), Neil Young Harvest, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Alanis Morrisette...any others?

Anybody tried any of these yet? Any opinions on the quality of the recordings as well as the material?

I remember liking Wishbone Ash back in the 70's, but I don't particularly remember this album or songs.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Brian,
    Neil Young's Harvest is IMO reference quality, even though the original recording goes back 30 years.
    Trey Anastasio is also very good, with varied styles throughout.
    I have only skimmed the Alanis Morrisette disc, and don't have any feeling about this one at this point.
    I heard one track of Linkin Park's Reanimation disc at CEDIA, and just picked up a copy of it recently for a better listen down the road. The one track I heard is highly agressive in surround utilization.
    Regards,

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I purchased both the LP Reanimation and Disturbed Believe DVD-A discs today. These are the first DVD-As that I've purchased. I'm very pleased with both of them. Reanimation is one of my favorite CDs to have come out so far this year, and I am normally not very much on remix albums. The surround mix makes heavy use of the rear channels. The Disturbed disc does as well. Both discs include some videos (Points of Authority, Forgotten and one other on Reanimation and Prayer on the Disturbed disc) as well. Neither of them are anamorphic, unfortunately. Even so, they make very nice system demo discs! And the sound quality of both is superb. I have listened to the Reanimation CD at least 100 times on my system. The hi-quality mix on the DVD-A is a big leap ahead of the original CD.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have never been a big Neil Young fan, but I am paying attention to all the positive comments concerning Harvest. For $14.99 at Circuit City, I may pick it up. The LP-like jacket is nice, but I do wish it had been released in a Super Jewel Box.

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Neil Young Harvest is excellent. If you like his music get the disc. It is the best it has ever sounded.

I also have picked up Count Basie Basie Swings. Be forwarned that this disc is multi-channel only but very well done. The surrounds are used strictly for ambiance as they should be IMHO. Vocals and Instruments come from the front channels very clearly. The title is a bit misleading though, because only 3 (i don't have the disc in front of me may be 4) of the tracks actually contain Basie himself with recordings from the 40s. These tracks sound very flat and undynamic compared to the other tracks recorded by his Orchestra after his death more recently in the 80s and 90s. But on the whole this is an excellent recording with a mix of old and new.

J

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I was thinking about registering but when somebody asked about Linkin Park I figured this was a good time to do so.
    I've had the dvd-audio version for two weeks now, and it is awesome (unfortunately I don't have a dvd-audio player so use my Panasonic DVD-R31 dvd-video player to play it using the Dolby Digital track). If you are of the "purist" music group, i.e., the performers & instruments HAVE to be in front of you, then you'll hate this disc. But for me music is all about hearing those performers & instruments clearly-wherever the artist wanted them-and multichannel is a great way to do this.
    Anyway, Linkin Park has mixed this album to fully utilize all channels. And if you have heard Reanimation you know it's an aggressively performed album, and this "immersive" surround mix fits it perfectly. But it's not done in a gimmicky or overbearing manner. Voices/instruments are sometimes heard directly in one ear, sometimes in midair, or to the sides. Though most of the time the music mostly emanates from the front channels, with the surrounds doing "fill-in" duty. And by fill-in I mean they actually reproduce voices/instuments and not just ambience, something which I think is a waste of time/equipment for most music. And thankfully, the main vocals always come from the front (which is good-along with the powerful music this group depends heavily on lyrics and vocal styling to deliver their message).
    The LFE channel? It's definitely given a workout. A good sub is needed to get the most out of this disc.
    And get this: Bob Ludwig did the mastering for this disc. No wonder it sounds so good.
    All navigation menus are fully animated, with stereo music. One of the group members was an art major in college and it shows everywhere on this disc. Note: the disc immediately starts playing by itself-no need for the TV to be on. And stops completely by itself too (not even the menus are on the screen anymore; just the player's dvd logo is displayed).
    Disc includes a stereo Dolby Digital track.
    Videos: all are well-done & not just thrown together because they were free. The one for "Points of Authority" is excellent: a computer-animated robot vs. organic alien war story (if you like science-fiction you'll enjoy this one!). All music videos have full 5.1 channel Dolby Digital soundtracks.
    If you like music ITSELF, you will really like this album. It is a lot of fun to listen to. Well, considering the band's subject matter, maybe "fun" isn't the right word. I guess "powerful" is a better adjective. The engineers and band have used the dvd-audio format to its fullest here. It was well worth the $20 at Best Buy. And the two teenagers I had listen to this dvd-audio album announced it was "f****n' awesome". A pretty good stamp of approval I think :^).
    LJ

7. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I finally picked up the Linkin Park disc and it is quite active in its surround mix. If there was one disc that screamed for a very active surround mix, it would be this one. My biggest dissapointment is that it's only a 24/96 mix in both stereo and surround.

8. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

The Neil Young disc is interesting to say the least. A lot of it is acoustic - so the 5.1 mix gives the music a new presence - the listener inside the guitar? Check out the needle and the damage done.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The Disturbed disc is fun. Not reference quality or anything, but a pleasant alternative way to listen to the songs.

I need to check out that Basie disc.

Haven't gotten Harvest yet.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I just got back from my local Best Buy where they know me (I'm a "regular" there :b) and brought my Linkin Park dvd-audio to see if they would let me play it on their mini-HT system made up of a Yamaha receiver & a full-size (i.e. no little cube-type speakers) JBL 5.1 system. And since I don't own a subwoofer (or a big screen TV) AND after months of trying to explain dvd-audio to some employee-buddies there I thought why not just let them actually hear it? Luckily this is an old Best buy where they still HAVE a real HT demo system.
    Anyway, WOW it sounded awesome! The acting store manager was in his late 20's and passed by several times and never said a word, and this thing was turned up LOUD. During my informal little 1 hour demo many people stopped and listened-99% guys-and get this: a guy around 14 was litening, left and 10 minutes later came back with the "Disturbed" dvd-audio. Neat! And when we played the videos on that big-screen TV, especially for "Points of Authority", we really drew a crowd. It was really fun. And all the employees in the area were asking about what was playing and could they use their dvd-video player or Playstation 2's to play it (yes!!!).
    Holy cow this was waaaaay easier to "explain" dvd-audio this way than sit & flap my jaws about it for 10 minutes: that way, all I got was a blank look with eyes glazing over near the end [​IMG].
    It sure was fun showing people this and they really did enjoy it [​IMG]
    Lastly: also checked out my local Circuit city. They had a brand new dvd-audio demo kiosk set up (with dvd-audio discs for sale for about $15 each) consisting of a Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver, a carousel Panny dvd-audio player (both silver, looked really nice) and-wow-a really slick Polk Audio 5.1 speaker system w/beautiful black piano gloss finish on all speakers. It sounded very good. It even had a 7" LCD monitor screen too. Go check it out.
    LJ

11. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think that kiosk at CC might have come from a Warner rep.
    I know Lasers Edge got one that way that sounds very similar in setup (panny stuff, side racks for DVD-As, LCD screen). It does catch your eye.
    Anyway, I love Neil Young and I think the Harvest disc sounds great. I love 5 channel, though I think I have different sonic expectations for non-live stuff. I don't need to feel like instruments are placed in front of me. I often enjoy good headphones just as much (which put the stage in your head instead).
    To me many good 5.1s are like the headphone experiece except the headphones are giant [​IMG]. I feel surrounded by a good 5.1 mix as though the music is everywhere and has a full sound to it. The music is just present, period.
    So with that in mind I would give an extra glowing review to Harvest. I did go through the 2 channel as well, which sounded good to me. But I didn't A/B it with the CD.
    One extra with this disc (not that albums have to have extras, but it can be cool) that is very good at putting me in the mood of the album are 2 interviews. One is with Neil out in a field listening to playback of a track down the hill in the barn. With the 5.1 it feels like you are on that hill with him hearing that playback echoing off the hills of his farmland. It's just a cool moment, period. And here it is caught on film for us to experience with him.
    It just fits and feels right, it makes you want to start the album up again and appreciate it in a new way. I'd love to see more little 5 minute extras of that quality.
    Alanis I listened to a couple of times, but I didn't really sit down with it yet and give it proper attention. It sounded pretty solid though. I had more trouble with that menu, btw. The Harvest controls threw me for a second, but once I understood the basic layout they made a lot of sense.
    Too bad about the REM, Fagen and Yes delays.