New Downloadable Map for RtCW!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Flynn, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

2. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

That says it's the last unlockable map, I hope they decide to make some more.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And how would they get them onto the CD, JamesH?

It's good to see them admit it's "unlocked" rather than downloaded.

4. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

BrianB,

He said he hopes they make some more.

Does that mean they have to be on the cd? No it doesn't.

[​IMG]

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

My point was they haven't made any "extra" available to begin with, Bryan, as you know fine well. The three extra maps have been sitting on the disk since its release, just not made available.

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Edited for civility.

9. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes Stunt Coordinator

Too bad this map has bugs in it where sometimes grenades won't work and sometimes the documents won't return after they're taken and that person gets killed. Otherwise it was a fun map.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Fine, Bryan.

11. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Personally, I think we've been duped on the RTCW "download-able content". The way I see it, since these "DLC" maps were on the disc THE WHOLE TIME, I could've (and should've) been playing them since day one. Instead, to satisfy us with bogus DLC, we're made to wait 'til they get around to giving us a 4 block code to unlock 'em. It leaves a bad taste and IMHO, it's setting a bad precedent.
    Anyway, as far as the new level, it's pretty fun, but glitchy as hell![​IMG] After a while, grenades won't work, packs (ammo & health) will disappear, you won't get credit for your kills, etc. This level has the potential to be the site of some epic battles, but they need to fix these problems.
    All this DLC controversy and all we get is a buggy level.[​IMG]

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

No, Dean. It's just with RTCW, the downloads for each map are a huge 4 blocks (ie next to nothing). For other games, like Splinter Cell & Mechassault, the downloads are much bigger (especially SC) as it's grabbing the physical maps/data. With RTCW, you're essentially downloading a little file to tell the game to unlock a map that's already on the disk.

There's been some hypothisising that the new Ghost Recon is doing something similiar because of the numbering of the maps, but there's nothing concrete to base that accusation on.

13. Joel Hurley

Joel Hurley Stunt Coordinator

-I completely agree with Leo, RTCW has set a bad precedent that I hope is ignored/abandoned by developers. The problem though is that a developer could just say "Alright. you gamers feel cheated by having content on a disk as 'unlockable,' fine, in the future we'll still keep finalized content from you and then make you sit there and wait for it to download." Which is better?

-The issue is, if content is already finalized why not include it with the original release. This is where the issue gets gray. Some prefer having content released overtime as is keeps the game fresh. Others feel they are being cheated, "Hey I paid for this game, why should I wait till you say I can play it."

-For the sake of disclosure, my preference is that I'd like the content from the start if it is already completed. But my real issue is that I feel the door is open for developers to abuse or misuse this content distribution. For example, with games like RTCW, Battlefield 1942 etc., one of the stronger draws for me is having a wide variety in maps. I generally like to change maps often. And as developers realize they can just hold back content and still sell games they may be more inclined to release very little content at launch. I'm not spelling doom and gloom over the policy, I just feel there is potential for abuse/misuse, and I hope it never becomes an issue.

Note, altough I enjoyed RTCW (traded it in for credit toward KOTOR) I felt there was a lack of variety in maps, game modes etc. Maybe I'm spoiled by PC gaming, but I don't think so, I feel that there could have been more content. The inital release of RTCW should have been equal to (release + all of the unlocked content to this date.) That would have been a better starting point. And then there should have been new content after that.

14. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

RTCW KICKS ASS!!!

But to the topic at hand. The new level is awesome, but it's has some serious problems as stated. But the glitch is also fun. If you take a Panzer and shoot it at the window in the front hall (where the flag is). The missile will bounce off the wall and all around the room, it's just too cool. You can also shoot the missile and the ground in front of you then you can fly like superman. I love it.

16. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Maybe the new level is set in an alternate universe.

It is pretty frustrating though when the docs just plain disappear.

17. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes Stunt Coordinator

I read on some gamesite today that eventually the free download stuff willbe switching to pay-to-download new stuff. My concern is if they do this download content that unlocks stuff already on the disc and they want you to pay for that. Now that would piss me off.

Ken H

18. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Got to go through the new map with Jeff, aka Grooving, today then played a bit with some HTFers. Ahh, the good old days. I could use a bit more Wolfenstein in my life.

New map should play well. More dynamic than barn, though whichmap isn't, and prettier to boot. Can't wait to play it with you guys.