New documentary of The Beatles is coming

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_E, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

With the Beatles Anthology LD box set being the most thorough to date, (and extremely cheap from Pioneer at closeout), is there a point?
    Until this becomes a DVD box, there's no point going anywhere elsewhen you have the LD box.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

What Keith said.
    Jim
    ------------------
    NUQULER??
    "Because Texas is his adopted home state, that's why."

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    While they're at it, I'd like to see ANAMORPHIC DVD's of Help! and A Hard Day's Night.
    ...and perhaps a restored Magical Mystery Tour. The current DVD is hideous.

5. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    Patrick if you can play R2 Hard Days Night is out in Germany with a new Anamorphic Transfer and 5.1 English dolby for about $16.00 before shipping
    kd

6. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I wish they would release The Compleat Beatles on DVD! I think that is probably the best documentary done on The Beatles...even better than Anthology.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Gary, that is great news! I'll be getting mine. No, I don't have an LD player, and can't figure out why that was even mentioned, unless they were trying to 'dump' on the whole topic.
    Glenn

8. Chris Molanphy

Oh, shoot, shoot, shoot...[sigh] I will probably buy this, sucker that I am, but this is really not acceptable at all...
    Rob is absolutely right that The Compleat Beatles is the greatest documentary ever compiled on the Fab Four, superior to Anthology in its succinctness and its lack of involvement by the group members (who, on Anthology, ultimately whitewash a lot of history -- McCartney especially -- and are often fuzzy, unreliable narrators of their own story).
    Several of us on the HTF, Ron included, have been eagerly awaiting the DVD release of The Compleat Beatles, and Ron and I even asked MGM during their last chat with us what its status was. Offering very little information, they curtly replied that Compleat was not -- or at least, no longer -- their property, hence no plans. This mystifies me, as the videocassette I have worn down from years of overplaying is clearly an MGM cassette, and I tend to doubt this would be one of the titles acquired by Warner in that complicated late-'90s video-rights studio swap.
    I had resigned myself to never seeing Compleat on DVD, rationalizing that if, say, Paramount was having trouble releasing movies like Grease because of complicated music rights, no way would MGM be willing to take on Capitol/EMI/MPI/Apple Corp./Michael Jackson to try to rerelease a documentary chockablock with Beatles songs. And if what the MGM folks said on the chat was true, whoever now holds the rights to the documentary probably wouldn't have the resources to take on that mob and see to its rerelease, either.
    AND NOW THIS. [​IMG] Having never seen this Biography, I can't attest to its quality, but I have to guess that it's either:
    • a "replacement" of sorts for Compleat Beatles, full of Beatles songs -- which pisses me off, 'cuz then why couldn't they just release Compleat? or
    • a slickly-produced made-for-TV cheapie, like those E! True Hollywood Story things, which often can't get the rights to the music/TV/movies they're profiling and have to slickly cobble together public-domain materials and look pitiful for it.
    Someday, I know somebody on eBay will hear my prayers and dub a copy of the laserdisc (the only digital format Compleat has ever been released in) onto DVD-R and sell it to me for $100. So help me God, I would pay that. I've been waiting that long. Guess I'll keep waiting. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    CMM
    [Edited last by Chris Molanphy on November 10, 2001 at 05:06 PM]