New Doctor Who titles coming in 2004!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Howard Glenn, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Howard Glenn

Howard Glenn Stunt Coordinator

According to Gallifreyone, BBC America has informed them that two new releases will be available during each quarter of 2004.

The first two titles announced are the classic Patrick Troughton story The Seeds of Death and the anniversary episode The Three Doctors. There is no offical release date announced yet.

It will be interesting to see how the packaging looks for The Three Doctors, as the Region 2 release comes with the Corgi replica of the dooctor's car, Bessie.

Howie

2. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I'd like to see full season box sets for all of the many many seasons. Sure, it'd cost as much as my video set-up, but at least I'd have one of my favorite shows on DVD! And for the episodes that are old and they lost most or all of the footage, I'll take storyboards and audio. They can get some of the "Doctor"s to read the scripts.

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee are all dead, unfortunately; and those Doctors are the ones with the missing episodes.

Two per quarter are not enough, to be sure, but I for one appreciate mixing up the releases - However, there are not nearly enought Peter Davison episodes being released, IMHO.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Not enough Colin Baker episodes released either.

Frankly I can't justify paying $20 for one story when there are season box sets of other shows out for $40 or $60 or $80. They're gouging Who fans with this trickle-out release schedule.

They should release the whole Trial of a TimeLord season as one box.

5. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I'm torn on this issue. Season sets are very desireable, but since there are so many, it makes sense from an economic standpoint to buy just individual episodes. Yet, due to the serialized nature of the show, I'm sure many fans would like to pick and choose longer runs from their favorite eras. I could see myself buying seasons 12, 13 and 14, simply because I'll probably end up buying more than half the stories from that period anyway.

As for the lost shows, I'm always hesitant to buy reconstructions/audios because I'm hopeful that someday the missing pieces will be found.

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Also, aren't they putting these out as they are being restored? Probably isn't a cheap process, either.

Jason

7. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    These discs are already out in the UK as part of the show's 40th Anniversary. A huge amount of work has gone into them and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with them when they arrive.

A commentary has also been recorded for the John Pertwee story "Terror of the Autons" so expect that sometime in late 2004.

8. Howard Glenn

9. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

10. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Go here to see all the work they put into these releases.

Doctor Who Restoration Team

Well worth 20 bucks each (Unless it's a 2 Disc Set then it's a little more - BUT still worth it).

Andrew

11. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Double Post!

D'oh!

Andrew

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Cover art and full specs for The Seeds of Death and The Three Doctors are available in the TVShowsOnDVD news article I published last night. Release date is March 2nd. Seeds is 2-disc and lists at $34.98, while the 1-disc Doctors is $24.98 SRP. For full details, please visit the article. I regret that restrictions keep me from linking the graphics directly in here, but I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Red Dwarf fans will also find an announcement for #'s 3 and 4 in a separate article I published.

There ARE indications that The Doctor Who TV Movie will see a USA release in the year 2004. Nothing is finalized, but the possibility for release is there.

13. Howard Glenn

Matthew,

Enemy Within was the title assigned to the movie by producer Philip Segal during production work on it back in 1996. I've always referred to the movie as Enemy Within and have it labeled as such in my collection. As an eternal optomist, I've always assumed there would be more new episodes, and referring to the latest title as "the movie" always annoyed me.

I think many Dr. Who fans are hoping that when the new series begins, the story will pick-up right where the movie left off...if not, it will be the first time a new round of Dr. Who has been presented without a regeneration sequence. I want more Paul McGann!

Howie

14. Howard Glenn

Dave,

Forgot to say thanks for the info! I'm still hoping there will be a collectors release of The Three Doctors similar to the Region 2 version with Bessie attached.

Howie

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The Restoration team is somewhere beyond dedicated and into the realm of above-and-beyond, but $20 is still too high, and they never seem to get price cut.

I'm still waiting for Black Adder to go on sale, and it's been at least two years.

16. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Howard - Thanks for that. I've never known where that title came from.