New DMB CD & DVD Out today! Did anyone get theirs yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Cerce, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

I'm stuck at work for two more hours before I can go out and get my own copy. If anyone has picked up either the CD or DVD let me know how you like it (ie: sound quality, content, picture quality etc). [​IMG] or [​IMG]

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I'm also waiting for a review of the DVD. I wasn't very impressed with the video quality of the bonus DVD that came with Busted Stuff. I'm hoping the real DVD will be much better.
    I ordered the CD, but I don't have it yet.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

The pic quality on this DVD is better than on the bonus DVD that came with Busted Stuff (it's still definitely shot on video though, not film and not high def). And they use a lot of annoying effects like split screening w/ cheesy left/right panels...you'll have to see it for yourself and decide if you like it. I liked the cinematography of Listener Supported much better (as well as the set list). My two main wishes still remain unfulfilled as far as a live DMB CD/DVD goes:

1. No version of Grace is Gone (yes it was in Warehouse Five #2 but he messes up in that version).
    2. No Cry Freedom (although the Luther recording is good, I want a full band version, maybe with some nice improvisation).

Sound quality is good although the bass/drums arent' as high as it was during Warehouse Five #2. I think DMB live is definitely led by the percussion/bass section, and the more Stefan/Carter I hear, the better. Not "overcooked" mind you, just representative of what you hear live.

I love the Big Eyed Fish / Bartender mix, although Dave's voice gives out a couple of times on BEF, and you can see him and Carter have a laugh about it on the DVD. Oh and the Everyday/#40 (or is it #36? I keep forgetting) mix is awesome.

As others have said (or maybe criticized is a better word) there is a lot of "Everyday" songs on this setlist, and most "diehard DMB fans" didn't like that album very much. I'll leave it up to you to decide. There is a very long version of Angel which is good (featuring an extended female vocal solo, one of the lovely ladies I think, I haven't watched that song on the DVD yet).

Is this worth a purchase? For any fanatic who must have all things DMB, obviously yes. For the casual fan? Maybe stick w/ Listener Supported and if you like that, move on to Folsom Field. I think the band was more "on" for the Listener Supported recording (definitely less mistakes, most of them by Dave) and like I said, I can't stand the cheesy splitscreen effects on Folsom Field. I think LS was recorded professionally by the PBS crew (I think it aired on PBS first) and Folsom was recorded seemingly by those cameras which float and hover around during their live sets, so it's quick cuts from one camera to another to the crowd to the splitscreen and back again. It's like Michael Bay edited this DVD.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Thanks, Carlo. I think I'll be happy with just the CD.

5. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Carlo's review is right on, although I was only able to watch half of the disc last night. My copy had a blemish which caused it to skip, so I returned it to Circuit City today on my lunch break.

The execessive amount of cuts (changing camera angles) is annoying, especially in the first couple songs. It is neat to have video of an outdoor show, however. The disc is a good representation of how DMB sounded in 2001 on their stadium tour. Folsom Field was actually one of the smaller venues they played that summer.

I'd say Red Rocks is still the best live CD and Listener Supported is the better DVD, but this is still a must have for the fans. For Carlo, or anyone who wants different live recordings, check furthurnet.com. DMB allows taping and free distribution of their shows and many of them are very good quality. Just download the .shn files rather than .mp3 and ask around for particular shows. Nancies.org has all the setlists. I recommend their show this year (april?) in Rosemont IL at the Allstate arena (Saturday Night). Great show, great recording.

6. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

Thanks for the replies. I really enjoy the "Listener Supported" DVD and will probably buy the new DVD too. I agree. I like the less gimmicky DVD presentations of live performances because I enjoy watching close-ups of the musicians while they are jammin'.
    I did purchase the new CD and I really enjoy it. There are several songs that I have not heard on any other live CDs, but unfortunately there are 5 duplicate songs from live in Chicago, 1998. With so much material there is no excuse for duplicates. The sound quality is excellent, especially for a live performance. This is something I really appreciate about DMB live albums. They typically sound great and remind me of the live performances I have attended. [​IMG]

7. Rob-Gr

Rob-Gr Agent

Let me say this, the video editing really pisses me off. For christ's sake, I have add and my attention span isnt as short as the video editors. On the first song alone, they must have gone to that dumbass widescreen with 2 small pics on the left and right which are the same pic doubled most of the time 200 times. Everytime they focused on Dave and I thought " ok, I can watch Dave Play and sing.", theywould cut to the crowd, overhead shots, the band the widescreen form, and other crap. This really annoyed the hell out of me. Just show Dave and the band, I know the concert is outside in front of thousands of people, I dont need to see it every 10 seconds. The next couple of songs were still annoying, so I stopped watching and just listened and I was impressed with the way dave and the band sounded. I finally started watching again at what would you say and I was impressed with the editing on that song. All along the watchtower was absolutely amazing. It sounded great, and the video only added to it. I was totaly stoked with the headphones on, the stereo cranked loud and All along the watchtower on. The first blam flash ( you know what I am talking about if you have seen it ) scared the shit out of me. This was one track where the video editing added to the audio experience, as should have all the editing on all the songs. This song was pure Dave doing Dylan with a splash of Hendrix. I give the sound and dave and the band an A. I give the video quality an A-, and the video editing an F on the first few songs. I havent watched the rest of the dvd, so I cant comment on the video editing of the other tracks. Overall, this dvd is a b+. The background singers were sometimes too much on some of the tracks and the dvd would have been better without them. Dave should have more input on his dvd releases just like he does with his cd releases. I cant imagine he would be happy with the video editing. The next dvd should focus more on Dave and the Band playing with no backup singers and more still shots of Dave jamming on the guitar. It must be noted that that goofy widescreen with 2 small pics on either side could have been used to good effect with Dave in the middle and other members of the band on the left and right at crucial moments of the songs when they were all jamming. A great performance marred by shoddy video editing.
    Rob