What's new

New DIY screen in the works (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yesterday I began construction of a new screen. This one is being constructed with 2x2s and 1/4" press-board and will measure 85" diagonal vr my current screen which is 1x4s and blackout cloth and is 80".

I plan to first paint the screen white and try out some filters (ND, CC05m..etc). Depending on how the filters work I will decide weather or not to further paint the screen with the Lowe's gray.

The main reason behind the new (wood) screen is I'd like to counter sink small magnets into the face of the screen, around the edges and place small metal strips on my mattes. This will make installation and take-down much easier then the current velcro system I'm using now.

Here's a couple pics of the project underway...

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/...&postid=164948

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/...&postid=164949

Peace Out~:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What are you using to mount the screen onto the front wall? How heavy do you estimate the screen to be?

Do you think you will have the time to try out various samples and calibrate for each sample? Do you have a digital camera you could use and have it at one setting so that you can compare the various tests?

The one thing I found is that most people have not done fair comparisons between paint samples because technically, the projector should be recalibrated for each sample for a fair test.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
For mounting, On the bottom, I use 1.5" 'L' brackets, first attached to a wall stud then the screen rests on those. Doing it this way hides the bracket behind the screen. At the top I use angle braces which also screw into wall studs. A guess for weight would be 10-12 lbs, if that.

I'm not going to be doing a lot of testing, it's not the reason for the new screen. But, I will try it out on a basic flat white screen and then mix in some filters. I will calibrate each time. But, I am very pleased with the Lowes gray and, depending on the out come, will most likely paint the new screen gray as well.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
Great minds think alike. I'm using that same plan for my masking. I'm working on my screen too. what are using for the screen? I was going to order screen from one of the mfg(draper, dalite, steward) I was looking at the firehawk and it is lite gray with specks of white every where. This is the only screen I have seen with this. do you think that the white specks on the screen help with color. Well I have heard that the gray is very good with blacks and matte white is good for colors. I will be test it out today. I got samples from steward and da lite. They both sent me a high contrast gray(firehawk-with white specks). Draper screen stiffed me:D. it seems to me that the white specks will help with the color and are not very noticeable because of there size. the white specks don't dominate the screen. The gray for the blask is very dominate. Maybe it gives you the best of both worlds. It seems you could mimic the white specks with a airbrush. if you already have DIY screen. Has any of ya'll tried any of these?
great pics Ron. THX

Eric Hahn

Agent
That lookes Great Ron, how do you mount the front? is it just glued, Did you nail it, ?

how does your plank grey compair the the misty evening I read so much about over at avs?( if you have any idea)??

I am looing at making a 80" screen for my l200u as well, so I will be folowing your threads closely, ;)

is all that bracing necessary for an 80" screen?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hey, it's 85" don't sell me short here guys :)

I tend to over-build things, even so on a small scale project like that of my 85" screen. :)

Eric Hahn

Agent
I was not selling you short, I was refering to your old 80" and my 80" if I needed to brace it as much as you did,

I will have to chek your old threads, I think you posted the pics of the can before, I am debating on painting my bo cloth, leaning towards your plank grey, if it doesnt darken it too much, I would love to loose some of the screen door.

thanks ron:b

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
From what i have read is thatthe grey helps rid the screen door. it depends on how far you are sitting too. I have had my X1 setup in my game room about 15ft to the wall. i sit about 13ft from the wall and i can't really see any screen door effect. it should i'm prove when i build my screen. i looks good for it being projected on egg shell colored wall. can't wait to build my screen.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Eric, I did not post a pic of the can, but the paint is Lowe's Valspar Gray Plank Interior Flat (code: 101-21.5, 107-1, 116-1).

What you might want to do, which is what I did, have them mix up a quart and paint a sample piece of BO. Lay that over your screen and compare the two side-by-side.

Eric Hahn

Agent
Thanks Ron, I will go check out the Plank, I have not bought any paint from Lowes, I just give them the code you listed and will make it??

I found this on a different sight, http://www.chriswhitworth.com/paint.htm

Grey plank interior flat 101-17,105-10.5
is this the same even though the codes are different?

sorry to be stupid, I just want to get it right.

thanks all

edit: well, I went out to a lowes and they could not make the formula you gave me, but they could do the other one, I picked up a quart, I may stop at a different lowes to see if I have any different luck, but it is named the same so it may be close???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks