What's new

new DIY project. Need HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Rob alva

Grip
Hello to everyone & thanx for coming to my rescue. In the past I've had some serious HT subs, but none were enough for me. List includes: Velodyne HGS-18 (currently own), Earthquake Supernova MKIV (a beast), two SVS 20-39CS+ w/s1000 (clean but not enough).
I want a sub that is relatively small (preferably not larger than my HGS-18), hits as hard or harder than the Earthquake, and looks good doing it (aesthetically pleasing)!
I obviously need to build my own sub! I was very pleased with the output of the Earthquake, but I just wished it went as low & played as clean as the SVS's.
Bottom line: What sub or subs should I get?
What amp should I buy that can drive them?
Where can I get info/plans to build it?
Remember the subs I've owned, I really want one that does it all. I was thinking about an enclosure with 2 Brahma 12" or 15" drivers!! Am I asking for too much? Probably so, but that's just me. Thanx for all of your input.
Rob

A

Anthony_Gomez

Sounds like the Stryke HE 22" cube should do it for you.
You will need to EQ it though. The new Tumult would be nice, but it needs a larger box.
You can actually get a deal on an aready build HE system with amp!
Link Removed
Link Removed[1].jpg
You just need to get the EQ. I would suggest soemthing that has a rumble filter such as the Art 351 or Rane PE17 (both at SVSubwoofers.com)
Note: I heard this system at the BassListMeeting a bit ago (it was properly EQed by John Koval with a Rane EQ iirc) and this thing put out some serious bass!..and clean bass to boot!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Have you heard of infinite baffel subs? Not everyone can accomidate them, but besides what Anthony has suggested it may be your only other option.
Here is a link to an FAQ and a bunch of pictures of various IB installs. If you have an appropriate attic, basement, garage or other room this could be your answer. Four Tumults in this configuration with a good EQ should be ridiculous. Eight of these should be silly too (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=118185&DID=7)
Link Removed
Link Removed

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
8 Tumults? They'll put you away for talking crazy like that, soldier... and here I thought the 12 "Dancing Shivas" poject was impressive :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, if 20L of Vd can't keep him happy he'll have to go to huge basshorns. But considering his size constraints I guess he'd be SOL if 4 Tumults can't keep him happy.

This all assumes his theater is in a room with an appropriate adjacent space.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What do you find lacking in your current Velodyne? Not loud/deep enough? Same with the SVS pair?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, a single Brahma 15 in a 2ft^3 (18" external cube, double walled MDF) enclosure with a QSC PLX3400 and an LT circuit should be equal to or greater than dual HGS18's.

Brian

Rob alva

Grip
Anthony, I actually called about the Stryke HE 22" cube. You are absolutely right. That is something that just "might" do it for me. It looks like an all business Earthquake Supernova MKIV 15 except with two 18" pr's. AWESOME!!!! Unfortunately they had just sold their demo model, which btw looked beautiful.

Dustin, at this time I do not plan on staying in this house so free-air subs will have to wait until I buy my next house with a dedicated HT room. Then I will "DEFINATELY" go that route, because they look so clean yet the sky's the limit in bass output!

4 Tumults is a little insane fellas. I'm not "THAT INSANE" ......yet! LOL! I am trying to find more info on these soon to be released Tumult subs. All of this new, "eye-opening" info you guys are giving me is great. My first look on the Stryke HE 22" cube still has my jaw dropped!! If the Tumult is superior and looks as good as the Stryke sub, I am sold! I will be putting my "near new" Velodyne HGS 18 series II sub on ebay very shortly.

Jack, the Velodyne is a good all-around sub. It plays almost as low as the SVS pair, but moves you a little more. Plays lower than the Earthquake, but does not move you like the Earthquake does. I was almost satisfied with the Earthquake, only it sounded like a lot of rumbling rather than clean output like the HGS & SVS.

Brian, what is a QSC PLX3400 & a LT cirquit? I am aware of the Brahma & love its characteristics. Do you know if anyone offers a kit including this sub?

Thanks to everyone coming to my rescue. This info has been monumental for me. I will NEVER...EVER, EVER, EVER...BUY an OEM sub again! I am still open to ideas but the Stryke HE 22" sub is a show-stopper & unless the Tumult or Brahma can top that, I will probably end up with it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

The QSC is an amplifier. LT stands for Linkwitz Transform. If I have a chance later I can provide a link but I'm short on time right now. Otherwise, Jack Gilvey or Tony Gomez will be along and provide one for you.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks