What's new

New Diva owner wondering if I need a new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I just took delivery yesterday on a set of Swan Diva 4.1, C3 Center and R3 surrounds. I have a Hsu VTF-2 sub on the way as well.

My current receiver is a Sony STR-DE925 that's a few years old. Do I need to look at upgrading this. These are the first set of "real" speakers I've ever owned. Previously I was mixing fronts I got for free with Boston Accoutics center (VL7 I think) and BA Micro Dipole rears; so this should be quite an upgrade and I want to do things right this time.

If I need to look at upgrading my receiver soon, I'd like to keep it below $500.

All suggestions and help are appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Without question, I would upgrade the receiver. I would save up and get something for more than $500 msrp also.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Brook,
I was using a Sony STRDE 945, the newer version or your receiver, with my Divas, and it was really pretty poor. I paid $500.00 for it, but a Denon 2802 or H/K 325 for the same price (street) will improve things immensely for you.

steve mm

Agent
hi i am a proud diva owner also 6.1-5.1-2.1-c3 and also the same sony.the best thing in the world you could do is dump the sony i would try a denon or nad you wont be sorry

PomingF

Second Unit
Brook, if your Sony has all the formats/features you need and has preamp outs I suggest you look for a new or used 2/3 channel amp to take the load of the receiver's amp section. I bet this would beat the sound of any new $500 receiver.

PF

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I went from a STRDE-845 to a Sony 5ES and noticed quite an improvement in sound. My Divas really started to sing once I upgraded my receiver.

The amp suggestion is also a good idea, I would have done that but the 845 did not have preouts.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brook, if your Sony has all the formats/features you need and has preamp outs I suggest you look for a new or used 2/3 channel amp to take the load of the receiver's amp section. I bet this would beat the sound of any new $500 receiver.
HIGHLY unlikely. One of the biggest weak points for the Sony DE line after it's amp section is the poor quality processing. They just don't cut it for music, IMO.

I would recommend listening to offerings from Marantz, Harmon Kardon, NAD, and Denon. The mention of Sony ES is also a good one, and the 3ES can be had for much less than MSRP right now.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Remember also that the ES series has a 5 year warranty and its amps meet its' specs. If anything this provides you a bit more piece of mind when comparing the bunch.

The 3 or 4 es should fit the bill.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I agree completely with John Garcia and his list of receivers above are in the right order for music (my opinion).
Did you or have you compared the divas to other speakers? Have you heard the axioms? Do the Divas blow Bostons or others out of the water?

Can you tell I'm thinking of upgrading? I would love the Divas but they're over my budget and am thinking of the Axioms. Any opinions/suggestions...anyone?

By the way, the HK receivers at JandR.com are very well priced- the 520 is at $650, the 320 is $500 I would also look into used seperates at reputable dealers as another option.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the help. I'll start looking around at other receivers. I kind of figured I'd need to upgrade it.

I'll be using the system almost exclusively for movies. I almost never listen to music at home.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Good Luck with the search :emoji_thumbsup:
I think any of the above suggestions will show a clear improvement over your current receiver.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
In one of the threads there was talk of getting the HK 520 for $577 shipped from onecall.com. That would be sweet with the Divas.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Po-Ming,
The entry level DE Sony's don't have any preouts, and their amps suck. It's too bad because their processing is pretty good, and they really give you a lot of features such as full bass management and analog outs that are hard to come by in that price range.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Guess I'm in the minority but I 'm not so sure you will get any audible improvement by buying a more expensive receiver or even separates for that matter. Your existing Sony is probably more than adequate to drive your new speakers. Might want to check out the current issue (no. 28) of The Audio Critic. In his very favorable review of a 5.1 set up using Monitor Audio's top of the line Gold Reference 10 speakers (cost of $4,000), reviewer David Rich reports he achieved outstanding sound quality using a Sony STR-DE675 that cost a mere $275.

That pretty well mirrors my experience. Have found that even my cheap $100 Pioneer receiver sounded equivalent to my more expensive Luxman and/or Classe components.

Bob

James D

Second Unit
Bob-I don't mean to be questioning your hearing, but I just can't believe that you can't hear a difference between your $100 Pioneer receiver and Classe separates. At the very least, the Classe should sound much more dynamic and authoritative. If I were you, I would take the Classe to an authorized dealer and have them check it to make sure that it is functioning correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks