What's new

NEW Disney Movie Club Exclusives 4/20/2021 -- The Black Cauldron 30th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Point taken, but you did yourself a favor skipping Chicken Little. It laid an egg so rotten, Edith Massey wouldn't eat it! ;) If you hated Home on the Range, you will loathe that. You might actually find more amusement from a rerun of Cartoon Network's Cow and Chicken.

The difference is that The Black Cauldron was not motivated by greed, contempt for tradition, and seemingly deliberate ignorance of all the lessons from its aftermath and the company's relatively rapid recovery from it, but by reverence for it and a desire to shake off the perception that Disney = kids only. Even their outright butchery of the film in post-production could not keep the animation department from flourishing anew with subsequent films. To throw all that away to copy their competitors was unconscionable. It didn't even have to be this way, not just in Disney having two CGI studios (then shutting down Blue Sky) at the expense of the type of animation on which they built their entire legacy. Nothing else they have done, be it live-action film production, TV, theme parks, the myriad of acquisitions over the last three decades, or the mountains of merchandise with the characters' likeness, would have been possible without it. Also, remember that The Jungle Book was almost the end of the line; if that had failed (and The Sword in the Stone, despite its charms and flashes of brilliant character animation, was not considered a moneymaker, so that was a distinct possibility), we would have gotten nothing. Why should the animators have just packed up, gone home, and rested on their laurels just because Walt was no longer around? Thankfully, they didn't.

But why did they even cut the animation budgets in the first place? Sleeping Beauty, ironically, cost so much money that it cost more than it made and counted on its 1970, 1979, and 1986 reissues to eventually turn a profit. Some artistic compromises were necessary just to keep the division open and so there'd still be Disney animated movies.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Speaking as someone who previously upgraded from the VHS to DVD, it is an extremely different experience to see it in widescreen. It was made in 2.35:1 long before that was a standard for animation like it is now. You're going to see a lot more in the frame in the widescreen ratio.

Indeed. WOW. This looks phenomenal (talking both the animation, composition, and digital transfer.

It looks fantastic. FILMIC (shocking!). The surround mix is more active than I expected, in a very good way.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
If there's anything good that can be said about The Black Cauldron, its that the film marks the defacto end of the Disney Dark Age. It had to be, the film was rock bottom for the studio. It was only up, up, up from here until the studio began another slow downward spiral with Pocahontas that lasted 10 years.
Lilo & Stitch (2001) was amazing. It did very well for them.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Pocahontas suffers by comparison because it was the next Walt Disney Animation Studios film to come out after The Lion King, and there was really nowhere to go but down from that. Pocahontas was also released just months ahead of Toy Story which of course revolutionized animation. But Pocahontas and the other films from its era that followed it have more to offer than some people would suggest. Personal taste is obviously totally subjective and some people aren't going to like those, but I think they have value.

Back to The Black Cauldron release...

It looks fantastic. FILMIC (shocking!). The surround mix is more active than I expected, in a very good way.

I'm so glad you're pleased. My copy is in the mail and I'm excited to get it later this week.

Is the Trick or Treat short upgraded to HD, or is it the same transfer as the DVD? Either way, I'm glad they took the time to retain some of the extras from the most recent DVD. But it would be really cool if they made the effort to bump that up to HD.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Is the Trick or Treat short upgraded to HD, or is it the same transfer as the DVD? Either way, I'm glad they took the time to retain some of the extras from the most recent DVD. But it would be really cool if they made the effort to bump that up to HD.
Yes, it is. Nice fine grained transfer. There Are some speckles and minor print damage. The title cards are window boxed. But all in all, it looks very good.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Reissue print again?

As opposed to what, exactly?

I haven't seen the disc yet because mine is still on the way in the mail. However, I would think it is probably the same transfer of the film as is currently available on Disney+ in HD. I don't think they would spend the time to give physical owners something different.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
As opposed to what, exactly?

I haven't seen the disc yet because mine is still on the way in the mail. However, I would think it is probably the same transfer of the film as is currently available on Disney+ in HD. I don't think they would spend the time to give physical owners something different.
The original RKO version. The 70s Buena Vista print screws up the opening.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Oh, I thought you had gone back to talking about The Black Cauldron again. It has been a long time since I saw Trick or Treat so I either didn't know or possibly forgot that there is more than one version of that. Thanks for making me more aware. Like you, I would guess it is probably the same as on the 2010 DVD. But someone who already has the Blu-ray will have to confirm that.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe

image.jpg

Edit: going further into the video though, the paint brush gag is missing here.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Oh, I thought you had gone back to talking about The Black Cauldron again. It has been a long time since I saw Trick or Treat so I either didn't know or possibly forgot that there is more than one version of that. Thanks for making me more aware. Like you, I would guess it is probably the same as on the 2010 DVD. But someone who already has the Blu-ray will have to confirm that.
There are at least three versions of Trick or Treat. Not as many as say...Three Little Pigs, but still it was a pretty common reissue (burlap or otherwise).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know that under normal circumstances, Disney Movie Club discs don't contain extras. That's why I retained my DVD of Holes despite upgrading to the Blu-ray. The DVD contains a couple making-of featurettes and two commentaries, so I wouldn't want to give that up.

When news first broke that The Black Cauldron was coming, I expected to do the same thing: upgrade to the Blu-ray for the HD presentation and retain the DVD for the extras.

Then came the news that the deleted scene and Trick or Treat have actually made the transition to Blu-ray. That means the only bonus features from the 2010 release that are absent are a still frame gallery of concept art and two DVD games.

I personally couldn't care less about the absence of the games. I've never played them.

The art gallery is very nice and includes images that probably won't resurface in the future. I do like concept art and that sort of thing. However, since the other extras I care about are on the Blu-ray, I'm not sure how often I would put in the DVD just to look at the gallery. I wish they had kept the gallery too, although can't really complain because it is surprise enough that we are even getting this movie on Blu-ray.

So I'm debating whether I want to retain the DVD just for an art gallery or if I should pass it along to someone else who can use it. I do know a friend who would still make use of the DVD if I don't want t.

For anyone else upgrading from DVD on this title, what do you plan to do with your old disc?

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
What would you do, sell it on ebay for $2? Might as well find a spare 2 disc case or even just stick it in a paper envelope and shove it in the existing snap case.

that’s what I did with my VHS ;)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't have the DVD, so it's moot for me. If I did, though, I might donate it to my local library (so others can have the benefit of watching it), or donate it to the local Goodwill (so someone else can have the benefit of owning it).

Well, actually, I'd probably trade it in to Bull Moose.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I see the Blu-Ray of THE BLACK CAULDRON has now started showing up on eBay, but at pretty
outrageous prices. There's no way I'm joining the Disney Movie Club, so I guess I'll just wait
until the eBay competition brings the asking prices down a bit. I look forward to seeing it, but
it's not as though I don't have other films to watch in the meantime. Nice to have it available,
though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There's no way I'm joining the Disney Movie Club, so I guess I'll just wait until the eBay competition brings the asking prices down a bit.

Even if you aren't a DMC member, If you know anyone who is, they could probably order it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks