What's new

NEW Disney Movie Club Exclusives 4/20/2021 -- The Black Cauldron 30th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sure.

I just feel like this release is vastly overdue anyway. Regardless of what the street date is, we should've had this several years ago. Especially since there aren't going to be extras that they had to make, there's no reason Disney couldn't have put this disc out ages ago. So I'm just glad it's getting here. Better late than never.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It feels like they're now going to say, "See, we told you the DMC exclusives were on hold because of Covid, and you didn't believe us!"

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Sure.

I just feel like this release is vastly overdue anyway. Regardless of what the street date is, we should've had this several years ago. Especially since there aren't going to be extras that they had to make, there's no reason Disney couldn't have put this disc out ages ago. So I'm just glad it's getting here. Better late than never.
Given that this got an upgraded DVD for the 30th, it’s rather confusing that this hasn’t come. You’d think it would have gotten a wide release then alongside the DVD. The 30th anniversary branding here makes one wonder whether this was the plan and for some reason it was scrapped. The authored disc image may well have existed since that DVD came out for all we know. Will be interesting to see if the disc menus conform to the exclusives pattern or if they’re unique.

Is there any indication whether this will have the special features from the 30th DVD?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It feels like they're now going to say, "See, we told you the DMC exclusives were on hold because of Covid, and you didn't believe us!"

I'd be fine with that explanation/excuse as long as it means we go back to 8-12 releases per year and it's not just a one-off thing

I sort of think the 30th Anniversary thing might be a bit of a tell that they were planning on releasing this in 2015-2016, but something/somebody inside stopped them;

I'm still believe the official street date is 4/20 just based on past history despite what the site says. I literally can't think of any other of these True BD Exclusives that were ever released mid DMC cycle,

My unofficial list -- the % at the end was the RT score for the items I could find. I still find the 2018 unloading a bit odd and still stand by the speculation that half of those were slated for 2019 and the 2019 were supposed to be 2020 releases until getting Disney+ took all the employee resources and they just unloaded everything they had nearly ready to go.

BLURAY
2014 (4)
Computer Wore Tennis Shoes 45th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray 50%
The Apple Dumpling Gang 40th Anniversary Blu-ray(TM) 56%
Herbie The Love Bug 45th Anniversary Blu-ray 75%
Herbie Rides Again 40th Anniversary Blu-ray 80%

2015 (10)
Old Yeller Blu-ray(TM) 100%
Pollyanna 55th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray(TM) 83%
Return To Oz 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray(TM) 55%
Swiss Family Robinson 55th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray(TM) 80%
Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo Blu-ray(TM) 67%
Herbie Goes Bananas Blu-ray(TM) 40%
Escape To Witch Mountain Blu-ray(TM) 76%
Return From Witch Mountain Blu-ray(TM) 44%
Davy Crockett 60th Anniversary Two Movie Set Blu-ray(TM)
Treasure Island 65th Anniversary Blu-ray(TM) 100%

2016 (7)
Blackbeards Ghost 80%
The Absent Minded Professor 81%
Operation Dumbo Drop 20th Anniversary 31%
Boatniks 45th Anniversary
Son of Flubber 86%
Monkeys, Go Home!
The Strongest Man in the World

2017 (7)
The Last Flight of Noah's Ark 40%
Cool Runnings 75%
The Mighty Ducks 15%
D2 21%
D3 20%
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids 75%
Honey, I Blew Up the Kid 44%

2018 (15)
Jungle 2 Jungle 20th Anniversary 19%
Snow Dogs 24%
Saludos Amigos/Three Cabelleros 75th Anniversary 80%/88%
Rocketman 20th Anniversary 22%
Mighty Joe Young 20th Anniversary 52%
Freaky Friday (2003) 15th Anniversary 88%
Freaky Friday (1976) 40th Anniversary 71%
Parent Trap (1961) 89%
Parent Trap (1998) 20th Anniversary 86%
Holes 15th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray 78%
The Three Musketeers 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray 36%
The Journey Of Natty Gann Blu-ray 100%
Piglet's Big Movie Anniversary Edition Blu-ray 71%
Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search For Christopher Robin Anniversary Edition 38%
I'll Be Home For Christmas Anniversary Editon Blu-ray 23%

2019 (8)
A Goofy Movie (1995) 44%
An Extremely Goofy Movie (2000) 63%
In Search of the Castaways (1962) 64%
20000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) 89%
George of the Jungle (1997) 57%
The Black Hole (1979) 40%
The Thanksgiving Promise (DVD) (1986)
The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (1964) 92%

The Black Cauldron (1985) 53%
Valiant (2002) 32%

rojobin

Grip
Real Name
Bob
I think it has been available on Disney+ since launch. For people who are 4K equipped, the 4K streaming version would probably still be better than a 1080p Blu-ray. But since I'm not 4K equipped, I'll be quite happy to add the Blu-ray disc version to my collection.

Now the only Animated Classics in the Walt Disney Animation Studios canon that have not been released to Blu-ray disc are Make Mine Music and Melody Time. Plus the extended cut of Pocahontas which only ever appeared on DVD needs to be restored.
This one❓

Attachments

• song-of-the-south.jpg
    song-of-the-south.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 16

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Is there any indication whether this will have the special features from the 30th DVD?

Doubtful. The DMC exclusives I've gotten haven't had any special features. It was especially annoying that the 2-disc DVDs of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Swiss Family Robinson each had an entire second disc of extras, none of which are available in the DMC Blu-rays. At the very least, they could've re-pressed those extras disc and included them as is with the BDs.

I assume the same is true of the 2-disc releases of The Parent Trap, The Love Bug, Old Yeller, and Pollyanna. I have the DMC BDs of the last two, but not the 2-disc DVDs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Song of the South is not and never has been considered an Animated Classic In terms of inclusion in the Walt Disney Animation Studios official canon. It is a live-action feature with animated elements.

The WDAS official canon includes:

1) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2) Pinocchio
3) Fantasia
4) Dumbo
5) Bambi
6) Saludos Amigos
7) The Three Caballeros
8) Make Mine Music
9) Fun and Fancy Free
10) Melody Time
11) The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
12) Cinderella
13) Alice in Wonderland
14) Peter Pan
15) Lady and the Tramp
16) Sleeping Beauty
17) 101 Dalmatians
18) The Sword in the Stone
19) The Jungle Book
20) The Aristocats
21) Robin Hood
22) The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
23) The Rescuers
24) The Fox and the Hound
25) The Black Cauldron
26) The Great Mouse Detective
27) Oliver & Company
28) The Little Mermaid
29) The Rescuers Down Under
30) Beauty and the Beast
31) Aladdin
32) The Lion King
33) Pocahontas
34) The Hunchback of Notre Dame
35) Hercules
36) Mulan
37) Tarzan
38) Fantasia 2000
39) Dinosaur
40) The Emperor's New Groove
41) Atlantis: The Lost Empire
42) Lilo & Stitch
43) Treasure Planet
44) Brother Bear
45) Home On the Range
46) Chicken Little
47) Meet the Robinsons
48) Bolt
49) The Princess and the Frog
50) Tangled
51) Winnie the Pooh (2011)
52) Wreck-It Ralph
53) Frozen
54) Big Hero 6
55) Zootopia
56) Moana
57) Ralph Breaks the Internet
58) Frozen II
59) Raya and the Last Dragon
60) Encanto (currently scheduled for release this Thanksgiving)

Last edited:

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Doubtful. The DMC exclusives I've gotten haven't had any special features. It was especially annoying that the 2-disc DVDs of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Swiss Family Robinson each had an entire second disc of extras, none of which are available in the DMC Blu-rays. At the very least, they could've re-pressed those extras disc and included them as is with the BDs.

I assume the same is true of the 2-disc releases of The Parent Trap, The Love Bug, Old Yeller, and Pollyanna. I have the DMC BDs of the last two, but not the 2-disc DVDs.

Right. But given the history I described (and the 30th anniversary branding), I’m wondering whether we’ll get a disc that was intended to be released alongside the DVD five years ago.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

The difference in this case is Black Cauldron had next to no special features on it except for a trailer and a deleted scene so its not like you're missing much. Its that black sheep status again.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sounds awesome!

It probably doesn’t exist, but wouldn’t it be awesome if this included the rumored uncut version? One can dream

Probably not, but that doesn't automatically mean it's gone forever considering all the other films they made whose scenes they played musical chairs with.

Also doubtful. When have any of the others had them?

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
If only this title had been DMC's very first exclusive 4K UHD release. My copy of the new BD is on the way according to the email notification I received today.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If only this title had been DMC's very first exclusive 4K UHD release.

I understand the desire for it, but my guess is they probably don't think the market is big enough to do 4K exclusives. As you probably know, their selection of 4K animation is limited to newer films, Pixar titles and their biggest modern classics. The oldest animated film to be released on physical 4K is The Little Mermaid, which is obviously in a different class of popularity than The Black Cauldron.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Song of the South is not and never has been considered an Animated Classic In terms of inclusion in the Walt Disney Animation Studios official canon. It is a live-action feature with animated elements.

At least they're mostly consistent with separating their Animated Canon.

The Hybrids like SOTS, So Dear to My Heart, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Pete's Dragon, The Reluctant Dragon, etc have never been on the list and neither has something like Victory Through AirPower (65 minute WWII film which has more animation and some of the Compilations like 3 Cabelleros and possibly Fantasia). The latter may hit a bit of a wall like SOTS since there is a bit of propoganda cheering on of the war effort and possibly some Japanese/German issues which may not be terribly well accepted these days. At least the latter was included in the WD Treasures set and Reluctant Dragon actually has a Bluray release as part of Ichabod/Fun and Fancy Free disc

It's also noted that Disney Animated Canon can be a bit fluid from Country to country leading many people to believe the list is a bit more marketing oriented than really useful-- the UK and AUS lists are a bit different. The WILD, but not Dinosaur is part of the UK, and WINNIE THE POOH 2011 is excluded. In AUS, most of the compilations are left off as is WINNIE THE POOH. In some of the other EU countries, several of the hybrids are even part of their Canon.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's also noted that Disney Animated Canon can be a bit fluid from Country to country leading many people to believe the list is a bit more marketing oriented than really useful-- the UK and AUS lists are a bit different. The WILD, but not Dinosaur is part of the UK, and WINNIE THE POOH 2011 is excluded. In AUS, most of the compilations are left off as is WINNIE THE POOH. In some of the other EU countries, several of the hybrids are even part of their Canon.

The list I posted represents all of the animated feature films which Walt Disney Animation Studios itself is responsible for producing. Disney distributed The Wild for some other animation company. If Disney wants to include different things for marketing purposes, that's their business. But my interest In the list is what films Walt Disney Animation Studios itself produced rather than whatever Disney's marketing interests are. In that sense, the United States canon is the complete and correct one.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Of course if you want to get picky -- Dinosaur was pretty much outsourced (or in-sourced) to a different department than WDAS. It wasn;t original considered a Disney Animation release internally and was retroactively added to the canon well after release in order to help market downstream

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I understand the desire for it, but my guess is they probably don't think the market is big enough to do 4K exclusives. As you probably know, their selection of 4K animation is limited to newer films, Pixar titles and their biggest modern classics. The oldest animated film to be released on physical 4K is The Little Mermaid, which is obviously in a different class of popularity than The Black Cauldron.

It is available in 4K via streaming.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course if you want to get picky -- Dinosaur was pretty much outsourced (or in-sourced) to a different department than WDAS. It wasn;t original considered a Disney Animation release internally and was retroactively added to the canon well after release in order to help market downstream

You are correct. They added it in 2010 so that Tangled could have the distinction of being #50, which was mentioned in its opening logos. Without Dinosaur being added, Tangled would have been #49 and Winnie the Pooh would have been #50.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Victory Thru Air Power was considered more worthy of a Walt Disney Treasures DVD release than Song of the South.*

So was a Disneyland episode with Wernher Von Braun.

Let that sink in.

*Victory's director, H.C. Potter, was almost the director of Song of the South until Walt replaced him with Harve Foster, who did second unit work on Gone with the Wind and whose subsequent directorial work was almost exclusively in TV until his death at the age of 54.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Victory Thru Air Power was considered more worthy of a Walt Disney Treasures DVD release than Song of the South.*

So was a Disneyland episode with Wernher Von Braun.

Let that sink in.

*Victory's director, H.C. Potter, was almost the director of Song of the South until Walt replaced him with Harve Foster, who did second unit work on Gone with the Wind and whose subsequent directorial work was almost exclusively in TV until his death at the age of 54.

The Song of the South issue is not one of “worthiness.” It’s a PR issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks