What's new

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
Honestly, I've been one of the most optimistic people thinking the Exclusive line would resume at some point, but when the entire 2020 passed with nothing I'd pretty much thrown in the towel and joined the "it's Toast" regiment.
Last BD exclusive was Romney Marsh in Oct 2019 and while we've seen 8-10 month gaps, once it hit 15 I relented to the obvious and certainly was shocked to see this show up.

So ANYTHING released that looks like the old true exclusives is incredibly important to see. Honestly I screamed a bit into my computer last night when I signed into DMC to see what the new FT was going to be only to smacked in the face with a 1st Time on Bluray and TBC Cover on the front page. It was just so unexpected, I literally got a bit emotional (how sad to be honest it's come to that) and I'm not even a huge TBC fan, but it gives a big lift to my spirit to see it showing up.
Over the past few weeks, Priscilla on facebook had actually left some hints on a few posts that two exclusives would be coming, but given that the DMC facebook people don't often distinguish between "true" exclusives and rehashes/repackaged products, I was trying to keep my expectations in check. It's nice to see that the line isn't dead and that even some Fox product is in play (even though the Fox titles I would want probably aren't - I can't see DMC exclusives of Jeanne Crain titles). While it's not a title I was clamoring for, The Black Cauldron has been a highly requested movie since the beginning of the line so some folks should be happy with this announcement. I hope to see more announcements over the coming months, and hopefully Disney won't be so stingy with the Walt era titles (The Happiest Millionaire, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Summer Magic, The Shaggy Dog, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, the classic era shorts, etc.).

Incidentally, in previous years, early spring is about the time the first new DMC announcements of the year were made. In a way, Disney is sort of on time.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
I would have bet money that Priscilla was talking about Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 given her past track record

The exclusives have been all over hte map in release schedule since almost day one. Every year they seem to do something different. My thinking back in 2018 when they released double their typical and running into 2019 that they were emptying their holster so everybody could be pulled to work on getting Disney + off the ground and late 2019 and early 2020 would be barren. I figured by the end of the year they'd resume, but they're about 6 months later than I expected.

A couple years ago I thought Cruella would be the takeoff point from 101 Dalmatian Signature and likely the Glen Close pair as Exclusives, but Cruella kept gettting pushed back further and further. Finally with its release in sight AND these exclusives I can only hope that that means something good for the live action pair after Cruella releases either theatrically or at least when the disc comes out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A couple years ago I thought Cruella would be the takeoff point from 101 Dalmatian Signature and likely the Glen Close pair as Exclusives, but Cruella kept gettting pushed back further and further. Finally with its release in sight AND these exclusives I can only hope that that means something good for the live action pair after Cruella releases either theatrically or at least when the disc comes out.

The release date for Cruella as a theatrical/Disney+ premier access title is May 28. That's only 38 days from now. If there was going to be a disc release of the Close movies in combination with that date, we would already know by now. I think it is more likely to be in combination with the Blu-ray release later in the year.

David Norman

Premium
The release date for Cruella as a theatrical/Disney+ premier access title is May 28. That's only 38 days from now. If there was going to be a disc release of the Close movies in combination with that date, we would already know by now. I think it is more likely to be in combination with the Blu-ray release later in the year.

We didn't know about the 2 exclusives from today until release day so it's possible they could release anytime in the summer. DMC has never been very forthcoming with these exclusives though for a while DMR would give a couple week heads up sometimes. As often as not, we didn't know until a day or two ahead (or even on release day). End of the summer seems to be a decent guess for a Cruella Disc -- 8/10 or 9/7 given DMC FT cycles

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If Cruella follows the same pattern as Mulan and Raya and the Last Dragon did, the Premier Access paywall on Disney+ will drop +/- 90 days after release, and the disc release should be before then. Raya was released theatrically and for Premier Access on March 5, the Blu-ray will be May 18 and the "regular" non-premium Disney+ debut is June 4.

If Disney is going to do a release for the Close Dalmatians films, I think it will be announced at the same time as the disc for Cruella is. And I'm not convinced they would have to be DMC exclusives, although they could be. I think people going into stores to buy Cruella might very well do an impulse buy of a Glenn Close 2-pack if there is one sitting next to it on the shelf, whereas being a Club exclusive would limit access and therefore wouldn't be as susceptible to impulse buying. We'll see what happens.

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I ordered what I thought would be my last DMC order the other day, resigning to what I thought was the fact that Black Cauldron would never be released. I was planning to close the account once my package arrived. So, you're welcome.

The lady on the phone was fortunately able to add this to my order, and I was able to talk it down to 9.98 (60% off) even though it's a pre-order, as the page for the SKU was showing the discount even though it wasn't eligible in my cart.

So stoked, I haven't seen this since I was little on VHS. It was one of my favorite tapes.

:banana:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So stoked, I haven't seen this since I was little on VHS. It was one of my favorite tapes.

Speaking as someone who previously upgraded from the VHS to DVD, it is an extremely different experience to see it in widescreen. It was made in 2.35:1 long before that was a standard for animation like it is now. You're going to see a lot more in the frame in the widescreen ratio.

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Speaking as someone who previously upgraded from the VHS to DVD, it is an extremely different experience to see it in widescreen. It was made in 2.35:1 long before that was a standard for animation like it is now. You're going to see a lot more in the frame in the widescreen ratio.
Sounds awesome!

It probably doesn’t exist, but wouldn’t it be awesome if this included the rumored uncut version? One can dream

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack

Not only 2.35:1 widescreen, but large format Technirama (Sleeping Beauty is the only other animated film shot this way) printed to 70mm.

As for the legendary deleted scenes, the closest we’re going to get to an uncut version of the film for the present is this collection of YouTube videos “investigating” the scenes, which includes a partial reconstruction of the Cauldron Born sequence (the videos also reveal that at least one sequence was rearranged to occur earlier than intended in the editing):

David Norman

Premium
I ordered what I thought would be my last DMC order the other day, resigning to what I thought was the fact that Black Cauldron would never be released. I was planning to close the account once my package arrived. So, you're welcome.

The lady on the phone was fortunately able to add this to my order, and I was able to talk it down to 9.98 (60% off) even though it's a pre-order, as the page for the SKU was showing the discount even though it wasn't eligible in my cart.

:banana:

DMC CS at its finest.

It's seems odd that this is listed as a preorder. I can't find anywhere on the site that lists a release date and DMC Yellow Border exclusives virtually never get listed until release day. Valiant is also listed at checkout as a Preorder.
Nothing in my order confirmation gives me a date either.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For whatever it's worth, this YouTuber says the release date will be May 4. There's a screenshot of what he says is a catalog that shows the date.

May 4 is 13 days from now, so if that's right it probably won't be too long before they actually start shipping them.

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
DMC CS at its finest.

It's seems odd that this is listed as a preorder. I can't find anywhere on the site that lists a release date and DMC Yellow Border exclusives virtually never get listed until release day. Valiant is also listed at checkout as a Preorder.

I suspect it was just a database glitch since I ordered it immediately after I heard the announcement. It was a stroke of luck, b/c my bank cancelled the transaction, flagging it as potentially fraudulent, so I got an extra day to add items before it went to shipping.

David Norman

Premium
For whatever it's worth, this YouTuber says the release date will be May 4. There's a screenshot of what he says is a catalog that shows the date.

May 4 is 13 days from now, so if that's right it probably won't be too long before they actually start shipping them.

Well, about 5 minutes after I posted I got an email saying my order shipped so who knows. I guess when it's your own exclusive you can do what you want.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I guess when it's your own exclusive you can do what you want.

A street date doesn't exactly mean as much with a mail-order exclusive as it would for a release being sent to stores or other internet vendors. Even if it is out right now, nobody is going to get the disc today because it takes time for the discs to go through the mail, especially if Disney uses media mail. Street date would be an issue if Best Buy had to know what date to put out the discs on their shelves. Since this is only coming from Disney, as you said, they can do whatever they want. Also, both The Black Cauldron and Valiant are available n Disney+ in HD right now anyway. So it's not like the disc has brand new content that needs to be held back until a particular date.

It was a stroke of luck, b/c my bank cancelled the transaction, flagging it as potentially fraudulent, so I got an extra day to add items before it went to shipping.

Why would your bank think that a charge from DMC is potentially fraudulent? If you have been a member before, which your previous posts indicate that you have been, then the bank should have records of multiple previous charges from them. Obviously, it worked out for you in this case. But if you order from DMC regularly, it seems odd for that to be flagged. I'm not inquiring into your financial issues as that is none of my business, but this just seems funny (as in unusual, not ha-ha funny.)

Last edited:

Chewbabka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Why would your bank think that a charge from DMC is potentially fraudulent? If you have been a member before, which your previous posts indicate that you have been, then the bank should have records of multiple previous charges from them. Obviously, it worked out for you in this case. But if you order from DMC regularly, it seems odd for that to be flagged. I'm not inquiring into your financial issues as that is none of my business, but this just seems funny (as in unusual, not ha-ha funny.)
You can ask them... it’s the second time it‘s happened with the same card. So when I called I gave them a different card (from a different bank), and it went right through. So who knows.

The card has always been finicky, especially at gas stations. I definitely prefer caution on their end to me potentially being liable for something I didn’t buy... but this card bordered on problematic when I was younger, it was my only card, and I was traveling. Fortunately I’ve moved up in the world since then haha.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Hulu doesn't get to control that film because it is not a Hulu exclusive. It was put on Hulu at the same time as its "wide" theatrical expansion as a response to COVID but it's not something that they financed or own. So that's a different situation as compared to films that were actually developed for Hulu. They have subscription streaming exclusivity (meaning that it won't appear on a competing service like Netflix), but you could also buy or rent it from services like Vudu or iTunes or somewhere like that.
Besides, Disney is the majority shareholder, and the sole controlling partner, in Hulu. And it's been reported that Comcast has agreed to sell its stake in the service to Disney over the next couple of years.

So, for all practical purposes, Hulu is a subsidiary of Disney.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry

I was going to ask if anyone knew what the official "street date" was, because I couldn't find one mentioned on the site, either.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
A street date doesn't exactly mean as much with a mail-order exclusive as it would for a release being sent to stores or other internet vendors.

True enough. But I like to know for my own obsessive/compulsive reasons. As a long-time bibliographer and discographer, I like to know the official release date of things. I've all but given up on film release dates, because of all the varying release dates around the world, local special premieres, and film festival screenings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw