New Dish ViP622 HD Dual Tuner MPEG4 DVR now in my HT

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RAF, Feb 23, 2006.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

As a point of information: I've updated my HT web site to include material discussing my experiences and impressions of my newly installed Dish ViP622 HD MPEG4 DVR. Dish started broadcasting NY locals in HD this month and there are now over 30 HD channels. There is a link in my signature.

In addition, we've created a new "MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA" here that we are encouraging you to use to discuss details of your own personal home theaters and its equipment if applicable. Check it out and read the "Welcome" message to see how it fits in to the entire HTF experience. Enjoy!

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hey Robert:

Went to check out your MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA and got this message:

As you can see...I was logged in...the message even told me so! And, there was no form at the bottom for me fill out.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

OOPS! Mike (and others), I apologize,

Seems like I may have jumped the gun a bit on the new MEMBERS HOME THEATER AREA. The new area has not yet been opened to the general membership (only moderators can see it until it's finalized.) If you can't get to the link I posted in my previous message try again a little later.

But my HT web site is up and running.

Sorry about any confusion.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    After some local dealer research a short Q&A e-mail with Robert last week (thanks again Robert!), I ordered a 622 today and it should be installed @9AM Friday. In the meanwhile, I'll be running some RG6 from my outdoor antenna to pick up my locals in HD.

One thing I found out about upgrading to Dish HD, is you have to jump through friggin hoops to do it. [​IMG] Timeline goes something like this.

Monday, May 8: On my way to work. Stop in at local convienent Dish dealer to inquire about upgrade pricing ONLY for ViP622. Assistant manager cannot find any information in the store. He goes online and cannot find any there either so he starts making phone calls. I run out of time and politely excuse myself to go on to work.

Tuesday, May 9: Stop in again on my way to work. Discover after I left the previous day, assistant manager did not persue any further information on the 622 upgrade pricing. Start making phone calls again. No one seems to know so he calls Dish customer service and navigates for close to 10 minutes to reash a csr. They give him a web site address which does not exist. He calls them back and the previous csr is out to lunch so the process is started all over again with a different csr. A new URL is produced which requires my account number. I do not have it with me since I am on my way to work and was only curious about price. I tell the asst. mgr. I am tied up the following two days but will return Friday with my account number.

Friday, May 12: Leave my house @11AM. Arrive at dish store @11:15. The assistant manager is out on a business call so I begin anew with a salesman who is not privvy to the discussion I have been having with the assistant manager. The salesman doesn't know the URL that the assistant manager went to so he has to start making phone calls to Dish customer service to find out. About 11:30 he asks for my account number, which I give him. He enters it and asks for my current equipment model numbers. I do not know that and he says we can proceed no further until I produce some numbers. So off to my house I go. With a 15-minute trip each way it is a tad after noon when I return to the store with my model numbers. The assistant manager is back and the salesman I was dealing with has just left for lunch. I have to jog the manager's memory for him to remember why I'm there. He only talked to me two days that week, why should he remember who I am? I tell him I have my account number and equipment model numbers. He cannot remember what the URL is for the page he needs so he, once again, calls customer service. (You'd think he would have written it down somewhere.) I suggest he use the pulldown menu from his browser's address bar and goto it from there, but for some reason their software is set to automatically clear the history each time the browser is closed. By 12:15 we're back online and entering numbers. It's then the assistant manager tells me, "I can't upgrade you."

I ask why and he tells me I didn't purchase my equipment there originally so he can't upgrade me. I tell him I don't want him to upgrade me, I just want a price so I can cost-justify it to my wife. He tells me he cannot quote me a price because he cannot upgrade me. No further explanation. He then asks why I came there if I didn't originally buy my equipment there. I tell him I didn't know I had to go where I originally bought my equipment and besides, that store is 20 minutes out of my way and his store is convinently located on my way to work. He suggests I go to the other store and says he cannot help me. I politely thank him for wasting my time and leave. It's too late now to drive 15 minutes back to my house then another 20 minutes past to go to the other store so I go on in to work.

Saturday, May 13: I have to be at work at 11AM today so I leave extra early and drive 20 minutes the wrong way to the store where I originally bought my equipment. They are closed so I curse quite loudly and shake my fist at the building as I drive away.

Monday, May 15: I have to be at work at 2:30 so I leave my house at 11:30 to go to the inconvenient store. I pull up and find they have slipped out and closed up for lunch until 1:00. Since I have a 45-minute drive to work I would normally leave my house at 1:15 so I do not have time to wait around for them to return. I curse loudly and shake my fist at the building as I drive away.

Tuesday, May 16: I arrive at the store about 9:30AM and talk briefly with the owner about upgrading to the 622. His first question is "Did I originally buy my equipment there?" because he cannot upgrade me if I did not. I tell him I did and want a price to upgrade. He then tells me he cannot quote me a price because he has to request the upgrade from Dish and they will give him the price within 24 hours. It would seem they determine each person's price on a case-by-case basis so each price could be different. I give him my information and go on about my business. Surprisingly, he calls me about 11:30 and tells me he already has the price and goes over all the fees and options, so I go ahead and order a 622 with the HD and VOOM packages.

It looks like the damage is going to be $300 to upgrade to the 622 but I will get $25 back for each of my two 311 receivers. Then there is a $78 fee to upgrade my service plus the install fee for the 622 which should run close to $50. Then the HD package will be $10.99 and the VOOM HD package is an additional $5.99 plus I have add HBO and Cinemax to my current package if I want HBO and CMX HD. After all is said and done, the equipment and install should hit for $426 + tax and my monthly dish bill will be around $90. I'm gonna be broke but it should be worth it!

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi RAF
    Cool
    I have 2 611s and 2 211s on order, they should be here on Friday.
    I only wish I had HD locals. My local Fox affiliate doesnt even OTA HD yet.
    Regards
    Gregg

6. Clinton McClure

Clint
    I finally got the 622 in and hooked up. Robert, I have two questions.

1. Does yours get very warm? Mine in out in the open and it gets hotter than my XBOX 360.

2. Does yours stutter (looks like it momentarily hangs then skips a couple frames) after it's been on for a couple hours? Mine started doing it after a couple hours of being on Discovery HD. I changed channels to several other HD stations and some SD stations and the stuttering kept getting worse until the lipsync was about 2 seconds off. This was on live TV, not recorded programming. I had to shut the receiver down and reboot it to fix the problem.

7. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    So Clinton,

Did you ever get the issues with your new 622 figured out? Give us a blow-by-blow commentary on what you had before versus your new HD equipment and programming. What tv do you have all of this hooked up to? General impressions?

Chris

P.S. Clinton, your sig links take me to www.w3.org?

8. Clinton McClure

Clint
    Thanks for the heads-up Chris. The sig links are fixed now. Must have happened when Parker changed to the new software.

The 622 still gets pretty warm. The other problems have gone away and not resurfaced. The only issue I have with it now is the HDMI is not working. I can connect the HDMI cable and select that input on the TV but I get a NO INPUT SIGNAL DETECTED message. I have it hooked up to a Westinghouse LTV-32w6 HD via component and the HD channels are jaw-dropping. SD looks about the same as it did on my Dish 311 receiver so difference there. I don't have any other component which hooks up via HDMI so I cannot be 100% sure if the problem is in the 622 or the LCDTV. I have a hunch it's in the 622 because it did not work correctly on the first HDTV I bought (a cheap Ilo) which died less than a month after purchase. I contacted dish and they claim it's a problem with my display and Westinghouse says it's the dish box. I'm not too worried about persuing an exchange anytime soon, mostly because of the hell I went through just to get the first 622.