New DirecTV Tivo 2???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulXH, Aug 14, 2002.

1. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

Anyone hear anything about a release date for the Direct TV Tivo 2???

2. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

No dates, but the specs on price are as such:
    Unit (first released with 40gb drive): $199
    Monthly Service (no more Lifetime): $4.99
    Monthly Service if subscribing to Total Choice Premiere: $0
    I think they will sell a ton of these.
    Check things out over at: www.tivocommunity.com

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I personally don't get why anyone would want a TiVo Series 2 at the current prices.
    I just bought my first DirecTivo (replacing my Stand alone) and without the Series 2, I have everything I need for much cheaper.
    The Sony T60 DirecTivo is $79 with the standard dish, (and $179 with the oval dish). It comes with 35 hours. I put a 160GB HD in it, to make it 156 hours total. I just put a TurboNet card in it for $69 so I can access it from my computer, and download updates via broadband. Grand total, $327 for a Sony DirectTivo @ 156 hours, and internet access.
    Boo ya. [​IMG]

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

Where??? Is this price for new customers only? Many people looking for these are not new customers which is who the tivo2 will be geared for.

5. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

The $79 price tag is from www.orbitsat.com.
    Yes, it's for New Customers only, but if you already have a DirecTivo, then you don't even need to buy the unit! One less thing to buy.
    Just add a hard drive and/or TurboNet card to your existing unit, and you're set. Upgrading (by adding a hard drive) works with all existing TiVo models, and allows you to set the price/size of the HD you want to add. It's a win-win.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Right now it is very hard to find a DirecTiVo available to existing DirecTV customers. The $99 lowball price for new customers is subsidized by DirecTV and requires commitment for one year. I don't think the expected $199 price for Series 2 has that gotcha and it could be available for less with the gotcha for new customers. The first gen DirecTiVo was $399 when it was introduced, so they are making progress on reducing the hardware cost.

Don't be so casual about advising people to add hard drives and network cards. Opening the case voids the warranty.

7. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Wayne, I'm casual about it because I've done quite a few upgrades and know what I'm doing, and consider it nothing more involed that upgrading a PC.
    Yes, it voids your warranty. There are complete How-To's and FAQ's out there to assist users in these upgrades. The best FAQ out there is Hinsdlae's How To with complete software backups and even the option where users can send in their exisiting untis, and he will upgrade the units for them.
    I'm simply offering users a choice as to their upgrade path. You can buy a new Series 2 TiVo for an expected cost of $199. For that same price, you can add a 120GB HD and a Turbonet card and have your existing TiVo up and running, with all your favorite shows, etc intact. This option will ALSO add approximately 120 hours to your TiVo in the end for the same price.
    Just offering a choice. Read the FAQs for details, your milage may vary.

8. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Hmm. I am thinking about doing this. I can cancel mine sub and have my girlfriend sign up, right? I think I'll wait until football season is over, but this sounds like deal.

How long do you have to wait until you get to re-activate a subscription and get to be a 'new subscriber'?

10. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

does anybody have any idea if directv will ever offer a tivo / hi-def box? this i feel would be the ultimate in convenience. hell, i'd almost be willing to buy one even if it down-converted hi-def when recording to the hard drive...as long as the original feed was untouched.

kevin t

11. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Dave, I think they go by phone number as the Unique customer ID. Different people can live at the same address over time and be different customers, but a number belongs only to 1 person at a time. You would need a new phone number to do what you want.

Kevin, the only HD box comming is from DISH network. Or you can use your PC with a high def tuner to record over the air broadcasts. Other than that, its tape.