New DirecTV system questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, May 15, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hi,
    We've had DirecTV since June of 97 and so far we've been loving it. One of the drawbacks was that our local channels were not on the satellite so we had been using an outdoor OTA antenna to recieve them. In the past few years, the quality of our reception has gone from good to awful. Many channels simply don't come in at all. I was looking into possibly getting "lifeline" cable but I came across some info regarding new locals on the DirecTV 5 satellite. Apparently, the locals for Hartford are on there. What kind of hardware would we need to recieve them? Right now we have a regular 18" Dish with a single LNB and a single Hitachi 2nd Gen DSS reciever. I believe we'd need a new dish/lnb but would we also need a new reciever? My parents are very interested in the prospect of getting locals in a clear manner without having to pay for basic cable is very interesting to me (and more importantly my parents who are fed up with the antenna). I'm only here for a few months but man do I miss my free cable at school when I have to watch Fox with snow and a rolling picture [​IMG] Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You need a "plus" model receiver. I'm not sure what generation had the "plus" features though. All it does is send out a 22Khz tone to cause the switch on the dish to get the signals from the 119 satellite. You will also need a 18"x24" dish (with a built in switch) since your locals will be on a different satellite than the core programming. Call D* and ask if they have any deals for the eliptical dish. You may get it at a discount or free if you agree to keep your programming for another year.

-Robert

3. Alex Giese

Alex Giese Extra

I don't know if you need to replace anything, but a 18"x24" dish is not needed for local channel reception. I have just a regular 18" dish and I get the locals. Go to dbstalk.com or dbsforums.com for more info on this.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Alex,
    It was announced months ago in a DirecTV press release that the new locals added this year (including Hartford, CT) will be on the 119 satellite.
    -Robert

5. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Dave:

Give DirecTV a call and talk to them just to confirm what Robert says. Maybe they even have an upgrade plan for those who need the oval dish and plus receiver.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Over at TiVo Community, in the DirecTivo section there is a thread about Hartford locals. One guy called and ordered an 18"x24" dish and a multi-sat capable receiver for under $100. He even listed the phone number, department and CSR he talked to. Give it a try.
    -Robert

7. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice all. I found out that our UPN channel is NOT on the DirecTV lineup. This is a big deal because they broadcast a bunch of Red Sox games. I think we might just opt for lifeline cable as it will give us the channels for a similar additional cost and not require getting new hardware. Thanks for the info though. I never thought I'd see the day when some of the awful channels we have here would be on a Satellite [​IMG]