new DirecTV DVR connection

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robb Cadigan, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Robb Cadigan

Robb Cadigan Auditioning

I just upgraded my original DirecTV receiver to an HD DVR. Unfortunately the new outputs are a little different.

I'm running to a Marantz projector. Originally, I was doing this through a RGB cable connection, but the new DVR has no RGB output. It does have the HDMI output, however.

Is there an adapter to connect the HDMI/DVI cable to my RGB cable? If so, is this a good idea, or should I just set up a component connection with three cables. Or is there another route you suggest?

I hesitate to buy a HDMI/DVI cable to connect directly to the projector as it would have to be a pretty long cable and I already have the existing RGB cable.

I'm new at this and unsure what connection will give me the best picture, esp in HD.

Thanks so much for any help and advice!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The people who have compared HMDI to component have said there is very little difference. If you want to use RGB, you will need a transcoder to convert the signal which will probably cost more than the long HDMI cable. Depending where you buy, you can get some 20 to 30 foot HDMI cables for around $50.

-Robert

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

edit - sorry, misread the post