What's new

New DirecTivo report (long) (1 Viewer)

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Evidently I lucked into getting the Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV with TIVO unit from CC last week. The salesman told me that they were hard to come by, they only had one in the store and the whole region was having trouble getting them. He had one because a customer had called just before I got there and had changed his mind. As a new DirecTV sub. I got free install for 2 rooms and a 100 buck rebate, plus 3 free months of HBO & Cinemax.

A week before the BB in Fairfax Va., had several, or so I thought. Maybe CC is having a supply problem

When the installer got to my house he too was surprised that I had the unit, he thought the work order might be a mistake. He also was a bit stunned at my main setup. I have a 50" Toshiba sitting inside a solid oak cabinet, about 30" off the floor. The components go below the TV. I have to swivel the TV on the pedestal to get behind it.

He ran a new coax for the 2nd tuner and used the existing Dish network coax for the 1st. He also used the Dish coax for the bedroom recv. Nice guy, he charged me 10 bucks to install the multi-switch since CC didn't include that on the install and he ran a mirrored line from my living room to the kitchen for the TV in there.

Now for the good stuff.

Everyone here has said good things about this DirecTivo unit and I find it to be true. The picture quality has been great, sat signal strength of 97 & 98. The unit is fairly easy to use, the channel guide is informative and easy to navigate. My wife hasn't complained yet ;) Within a couple minutes I was recording shows and having a great time.

I really like to start recording something with commercials, surf some channels and then come back to what I was recording and zap the commercials ;)

The List that shows what you have recorded is a whole lot better then tape. No more guessing what you have on which tape. Like Kingpin, I have the 1st show somewhere on 1 tape and the 2nd show on another. Tonight's will be on the Tivo.

Anyone that has thought about going to a digital recording medium, I highly recommend this one.

MikeS.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I was looking at that unit yesteday when I was in CC, seems like a very nice unit indeed and at $250, very reasonable too!

As far as the TiVo subscription cost is concerned, I was under the impression that the all-in-one DirecTiVo units required a $5/month charge, in addition to whatever you're paying for DirecTV. The salesman told me though, that if my DirecTV bill is over $80/month that there would be NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE at all for TiVo....can you confirm this? anyone?

Vin

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Vin, like Jeff said, with the premium package no Tivo monthly charge.

CC discounted the unit to 199.99 then added a $100 rebate for the unit, the free install/new customer package. With tax, 2 receivers, an 18" round dish, a multi-switch and install my total out the door cost was $322.

DirecTV gave me 3 months free HBO/Cinemax and since I was going with the full blown premium package they knocked my first 3 months down to $66 something.

My suggestion, go for it.

MikeS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks