New Digital Channel to bring Cable viewing to people via Air waves?!?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jerome Grate, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Heard this about 5:15 am EST, on the business section of the news. I think it was called Digital T.V. and they would show cable channels to customers by using air waves. Anyone else heard about this and have information. Thianks.

2. derek

derek Second Unit

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

"For $19.95, USDTV gives subscribers in Salt Lake City 32 channels, including local broadcast outlets. ESPN, ESPN2, Disney and Discovery Channel are five of the 10 cable networks currently included in the package, but more may be added.
    The service is also available in Albuquerque and is expected to launch in Las Vegas in the next month, and the company hopes to offer service to 30 markets by year's end. About 1,000 customers have signed up in Salt Lake.
    USDTV works by collecting feeds from the broadcast stations and cable networks at a single digital transmission tower, which then uses once-idle bandwidth -- bought from the stations -- to spray the signals to standard UHF/VHF antennas.
    Customers must buy a $99.95 set-top device to decode the channels. USDTV says a strength of its system is its support for high-definition programming. In the Salt Lake market, six of the local stations broadcast high-definition signals."

This could be a boon for HDTV viewers currently subscribing to cable systems that don't support HDTV. Heck I don't have a HDTV system yet and with that kinda pricing I'd be tempted to drop cable at the sacrifice of some channels I don't watch anyway.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Damn it, I had a good reply all typed out but the cable modem went out while I was typing and Internet Exploder lost the text I had typed so I can't resubmit it.

Short version: this is a subscription SDTV multiplex. They're using the same digital TV airwaves that could otherwise be used for more and/or better quality HDTV. So I wouldn't call it a boon for HDTV, although it may be a boon for digital TV in general.

They say 32 channels in Salt Lake City but from the website it looks like all but ten of them are local broadcasts that are free to anyone with a digital tuner, and it's a stretch to call it a total of 32 because it counts the SD/HD simulcasts twice. The ten subscription channels are mutliplexed by four of the Salt Lake City TV stations: KJZZ, KULC, KUWB, and KSL. KJZZ alone has five of the channels in addition to its own programming, that's six 480i channels in one 19 Mbps stream. Of the four stations, only KSL (NBC) transmits HDTV, and it multiplexes just one of the subscription channels.

Since these stations are reselling their bandwidth, the revenue will be taxed 5%.

Copying to the clipboard before clicking Submit...

4. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

With the FCC gone crazy, I don't think this could have come at a worse time. [​IMG]