New digital cable box and my brain fart...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Pummill, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

This is a copy of a Receivers/Seperates/Amps reply that I just posted. Seems to fit in this section also!!

Let me share a brain fart I had the other day. Time Warner just installed a new digital box, the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100.

The installation technician just hooked it up like the old analog box, L + R for audio, cable coax for video. Well of course I switched it to S-Video and Digital audio. The picture was vastly superior, but no sound!!

I checked my connections and everything looked fine. Still no sound!! So I got on the phone to the cable company, but the gal I was talking to didn't seem to know what my problem was. As she put me on hold, I figured out what I had done wrong!! I had disconnected the analog L + R audio, assuming that the digital out carried all of the channels siginals. You know what they say when you ASSUME!! The channels under 100 are analog, over 100 are digital. I really enjoy the DD 5.1 that HBO has on some of their movies.

Now for my next problem, My Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX has ran out of digital inputs...time for a new receiver!!

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

YEah thats what time warner did when they installed our DTV here. With the regular coax cable hooked onto my tv the picture was ok, but then I switched to s-video and its a huge difference.

3. MikeEdwards

MikeEdwards Auditioning

Yep, mine's the same way. Scientific Atlanta box only puts out DD 2/5.1 channel on the Digital channels. Shame. I wish everything was digital and the rest wasn't crappy analog. I'm paying a damn fortune between that and Roadrunner

Anywho, i'm happy with the Onkyo 595 I finally got after 1 month backorder.. ugh

Mike E.

New Guy (but doin home theater since 1993)

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Welcome to the HTF, Mike!! [​IMG]