What's new

New design posted - Sassy! (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Nice design:emoji_thumbsup: what was the total cost of the project? And if you had to classify the sound would you say they are nuetral, dryer sounding, or are they sound a bit to the warmer side of nuetral? And yes I'm jealous you designed your own speakers and I have not;)

How long does a design like this take?

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Shawn,

The woofers are about $50, the tweeters about $25, from Madisound. With PE 18ga coils (16 copper foil on the woofer, 'cause PE doesn't stock 1.8mH/18ga coils) and Dayton caps, cost would be $210/pair w/o the optional trap, $240/pair with the trap. This is drivers and XO only. You can save about $15 if you can find an 18ga 1.8mH coil (Madisound has one, but I've never used their house coils). You can expect to spend about $25 more in misc. materials (MDF, binding posts, hardware, but not veneer).

This one took me about 10-15 hours to design. That doesn't include 100's of hours of listening/evaluation.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I am also looking at making boxes for about $100-$125/pair. The ones above were original made for sale, but I like them a lot. I do have some of the same veneer left over.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, I smell another custom speaker shop opening up. It's actually a great idea Dan. Have a couple different models at different price points and build to suit and(what I want to do) also offer custom installation. I want to start something similar up here eventually. Got to get my degree in electronic engineering first among other things.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I have no interest in selling whole speakers. It's more work, more investment, more risk, and no appreciable increase in profits. The money is in the boxes, and there are a lot of people who want to build speakers but lack the tools and knowledge to build the boxes.

And custom install? $15/hr for pulling wire in somebody's 110-degree attic? No thanks!

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Dan,

I charge up to $60/hour to run wires in attics. either that or I install wire at $6 a foot. But yes they can be very hot. Much hotter than 110 degrees. Your right about the boxes. I was thinking on more of a retail plateau with fully assembled speakers in a show room. But that is also a very high investement that most don't have or willing to take.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
You got skills Dan. I would build my own if I had the technical know how.

By the way, isn't calling a Mini 2-way a "Bose Killer" kind of redundant.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks