New Denon vs 1600 vs cheap

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Lee, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

I'm looking into buying a progressive scan DVD player to get the most out of my new Panasonic 47wx53. I've always intended to get one I just figured I'd wait awhile for my funds to recover, and in the meantime use my Xbox w/HD pack. However now I'm definitely noticing where the picture is sometimes lacking on DVDs, and while to some degree I'm sure pro calibration would help, from what I've read it sounds like a good DVD player makes enough of an impact that getting one in the near future is worth considering.

So here are my options.

Denon 1600 - Seems like a sure thing from all the user reviews and the Secrets reports. I considered a Panasonic Xp-30 on Ebay, but I've heard the Denons are a little better in picture, and I'd like DVD-A if possible, and with the 1600 down to $330 and the ebay Pannys at least $250, it seems like the Denon is a better deal.

New Denon - I've heard a couple different things on the new Denons. I've heard the 1200 is a replacement for the 1600 (which the features make sense for) but I've also heard its closer to the 900 (which I've heard doesn't look as good as the 1600). And of course there isn't much in the way of reviews of the 1200 and other new Denons, and the 1200 is $400 new. In case I didn't mention, I'd like to spend as little as possible w/o sacrificing quality, so I'm looking for a good deal, but still trying to get the most for my money.

Other Cheaper Option - I briefly considered the Pioneer 563, but it sounds like the video doesn't compare to the Faroudja chip players, and SACD isn't really worth that to me.

So I guess the big question becomes, should I just get the Denon 1600 as a sure thing or is it worth waiting to see how the new players are, or if something with the newer FLI2310 chip comes out in my price range? I'm not sure if there are any improvements w/the newer chip or newer players that would be worth waiting for in my situation, but then that's why I'm posting. Thanks in advance.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Your mileage may vary, but PQ wise, a Panasonic RP62 or CP72 will give you just as good picture quality as the 1600. The 1600 is built on the same panasonic architecture as the RP62, CP72, and RP82. With the RP62 you get no DVD-A, but with the CP72 you get DVD-A and a changer. You'll get better sound quality on DVD-A with the 1600 because it has burr brown dacs and bass management.

The RP62 can be found online as low as $100 and i've seen it on closeout at a tweeter for even less. The CP72 can be found online for around $200.

3. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

Hmmm, that's very good to know. I did want better DVD-A but frankly the more I think about it the video is the most important thing and right now I can't afford to be picky about features that I see as a "bonus." I may have to consider the RP62, otherwise maybe the CP72 as a changer would be nice and I would enjoy DVD-A. Thanks for your help, Stephen.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have read that SOME NEWER RP62's do not have the Faroujda chipset. There are certain serial numbers to look for, but i'm not sure what they are. A HTF search would probably turn up some helpful results because I have read in the past which serial numbers do and don't have it. That said, the vast majority of RP62 units DO have the faroujda chipset.

ALL of the CP72's have faroujda.

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

It has been said that RP62's that have an A in the serial number have the Farjouda, and those with a B do not. The XP30 yields the same video quality as the Denon 1600, but the Denon is better audio wise.