What's new

new denon universal in the works (1 Viewer)

Kristoffer

Second Unit
This is what I found about the new Denon 1400 on the Japanese website using Babelfish...
Its a little sketchy, but you can sort of make it out.
Among others things it says it will have progressive scan;

Corporation ƒfƒmƒ“ (DENON) with this time, we sell the universal player DVD-1400-N who can enjoy various digital audio familiarly. DVD-1400-N, DVD AUDIO/VIDEO, super audio CD and CD, corresponds to colorful digital format playback such as video CD, MP3, WMA and JPEG. The AV foam/home theater of treble quality high picture quality of course shows real value, as a nucleus of the foam/home entertainment system from channel audio 2 to multichannel audio. Such as loading the 192kHz/24bit audio D/A converter and loading the pure direct function, technology of the upper-class machine transferring which actualizes high picture quality treble quality playback is thrown in loading and audio system of the progressive circuit in video system. In addition, high grade such as correspondence to digital speech compression system MP3 and WMA which you cannot miss in ƒ}ƒ‹ƒ`ƒ`ƒƒƒ“ƒlƒ‹ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒh playback, record to CD-R and CD-RW, with loading and the personal computer etc. of bus management function such as setting of ƒXƒs[ƒJ[ƒRƒ“ƒtƒBƒOƒŒ[ƒVƒ‡ƒ“ and ƒo[ƒ`ƒƒƒ‹ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒh which actualizes 5ch common sound field playback with the speaker of 2ch it loads also function. The movie and the concert etc. Kousei small image and the appearance impression are enjoyed with the treble quality which overflows. DVD and super audio CD etc., the leading edge of age charm of ƒnƒCƒNƒIƒŠƒeƒBƒTƒEƒ“ƒh which goes is done until heart it goes, skill. It starts pulling universal player DVD-1400-N, DVD-Audio/Video and super audio CD etc. charm of the leading format is left, the place where without, of a familiarly the world newer foam/home entertainment builds.
* Universal player In addition to DVD AUDIO/VIDEO, super audio CD and CD, playback of colorful digital format such as video CD, WMA, MP3 and JPEG is the possible universal player. < Video > * Loading the high picture quality progressive circuit With the system which makes the image playback of high picture quality possible in comparison with the interlace system which is used with general television broadcasting and the like with the amount of information of approximately 2 times, it portrays progressive system, faithfully even to the material feeling which subject has, it actualizes the picture which does not have the flicker which the contour is clear. The knitting machine corresponds to the high picture quality DVD playback of progressive system of this 525P output. High picture quality it can enjoy the picture with combination with the progressive correspondence TV. * Loading the high accuracy video decoder and high-speed high accuracy 54MHz video DAC In order to acquire the faithful reproducibility of the field picture, it recovers at high accuracy the luminance signal (the Y signal), the Cb signal and the Cr signal of the color component signal with the video decoder. Furthermore, this digital signal while it is Takasina rank in order to output, enormous image information D/A loading the high-speed high accuracy 54MHz video DAC which can be converted with some amount to spare. Until it guarantees the reproducibility whose very little level is high, goes into detail being faithful, to image and the field picture which ƒLƒŒ are good and will be clear Kousei detail it actualizes the playback of image. * Higher picture quality equipping the D terminal which corresponds to image. In order high picture quality to output image, the component D terminal (D2 image correspondence) it equips. Image of the high picture quality whose ƒLƒŒ is good with clearing due to the transmission of the image signal whose quality is high, is reproduced. < Audio > * The treble quality design which begins the 192kHz/24bit D/A converter The dynamic range, loading the D/A converter of the 192kHz/24bit correspondence which is superior in Signal-noise ratio and distortion factor quality. Furthermore, the treble quality Takasina rank design which in the audio circuit which includes DAC is cultivated with the CD player of DENON is administered, the quality which is superior even in CD playback is acquired. * Speaker setup at the time of multichannel playback is possible In ƒ}ƒ‹ƒ`ƒ`ƒƒƒ“ƒlƒ‹ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒh playback ƒXƒs[ƒJ[ƒRƒ“ƒtƒBƒMƒ…ƒŒ[ƒVƒ‡ƒ“ and the delay time which cannot be missed (*) setting is possible. As for setting while inquiring about test tone, it is possible to set. * As for setting of the delay time as for super audio CD it is not corresponding. * Loading the pure direct mode which holds down the interference from the video circuit It is the function which furthermore plays back music with treble quality. The aural signal of analog stopping the indication of the image signal output panel which is easy to interfere, it is possible to output sound. It is possible to change with the pure direct switch of the substance panel. * Dolby digital/DTS decoder loading By the fact that you connect to the 5.1ch audio input terminal of the AV amplifier, Dolby digital/at the time of the DVD disk playback which is recorded with DTS, the cinema and, the sound which is the appearance impression and the kind of force which are in the hole can be enjoyed. < Other merits > * Adopting aluminum front panel Adopting the aluminum panel where rigidity is high in front panel, has the high-class impression. Face design of combination with DENON AV ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒhƒAƒ“ƒv which was standardized produces the atmosphere which is refined in the interior.

DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW correspondence. It corresponds to the playback of MP3 & the WMA format, and the JPEG file It corresponds to digital speech compression system MP3 and the treble quality speech compression format WMA which are used in digital transmission, car audio and the portable memory player etc. of music. Because it corresponds to CD-R/RW playback, playback of the CD-R/RW disk which records the file of MP3 and the WMA format which are downloaded from the personal computer and the like is possible. 0 reproducible disks: DVD and DVD-R/RW (Video) (*), DVD+R/RW (*), CD and CD-R/RW (*) 0 corresponding formats: DVD-Video/Audio, super audio CD, CD, Video CD, MP3 and WMA JPEG (the Kodak picture CD is included) * Such as the disk whose entry circumstance is bad cannot be played back, part there is also a disk which. * The Kodak corporation picture CD correspondence * Equipping four direction cursor keys in front panel Other than remote control four direction cursor keys are equipped even in the player itself. Even with kind of when remote control there is no labor assistant it can do most operations such as menu and setup operation with the substance. * Ounce clean display functional loading While looking at the picture, it loads the ounce clean display function which can do various operations and setting. Picture indication Japanese and English change being possibility, from, makes easy to operate. * Loading the abundant function which enjoys DVD to full The multiple sound which has been stored to the DVD disk, choosing favorite mode from subtitle, and image angle respective colorful information adjusting to image including the DVD performance which it can play back, zoom playback of 2 it equips the colorful function which expands, the enjoyment of DVD such as the zoom function whose times 4 times is possible. * Equipping colorful playback function When playback one time after stopping, re-starting, it starts playback from the position where it stops "ƒŠƒWƒ…[ƒ€ playback", "slow playback" and "repeat playback (between A-B, chapter, the track/truck and the disk)", "random playback" and "program playback" and so on, the playback function which can be managed colorfully is loaded. * Equipping the abundant output terminal - Something related to video/composite terminal: 1 system, S image output terminal: 1 system, D2 image output terminal: 1 system - something related to audio/digital output terminal: 2 systems (light 1, COAXIAL 1), analog voice response terminal (L/R): 1 system, analog multichannel voice response terminal (FL/FR/C/SL/SR/SW): 1 system
< Video section > Composite output/output level: 1C$vp-p (75 ƒ¶ loads) S image output/Y output level: 1C$vp-p (75 ƒ¶ loads), C output level: 0.286Vp-p (75 ƒ¶ loads) Component output/Y output level: 1C$vp-p (75 ƒ¶ loads), Cb and Cr output level: 0.7Vp-p (75 ƒ¶ loads) < Audio section > Voice response/2Vrms (1kHz/0dB, 10k ƒ¶ load), (front/center/ƒTƒ‰ƒEƒ“ƒh/ƒTƒuƒE[ƒn[) frequency characteristic DVD: 4Hz? 88kHz (192kHz Sampling), 4Hz? 44kHz (96kHz Sampling), 4Hz? 22kHz (48kHz Sampling), super audio CD: 4Hz? 100kHzCD and Video-CD: 4Hz? 20kHz Signal-noise ratio/DVD and CD: 115dB total height harmonic wave distortion factor/0.003% dynamic range/DVD: 100dB and CD: 98dB < Main function > Video D/A converter/10bit/54MHz audio D/A converter/24bit/192kHz & 1bit/2.822MHz (super audio CD) decoder/Dolby digital, DTS, MLP and MP3, JPEG corresponding disk/DVD and DVD - R/RW (Video), CD, CD - R/RW corresponding format/DVD - VIDEO/AUDIO, super audio CD, CD and Video - CD, MP3, WMA and JPEG (the Kodak picture CD is included) multiple function/multiple audio function, multiple subtitle function, multiple angle function, viewing restriction function, marker function and compression functional playback function/repeat playback, repeat playback, random playback, program playback, slow playback and scene between A-B Sending scene resetting playback and continuation playback memory functional image output terminal/composite output 1 system, S image output 1 system and 1 system of D terminal (D2 correspondence) digital voice response terminal/optical 1 system, coaxial 1 systematic analog voice response terminal (L/R)/1 system, analog multichannel voice response terminal (FL/FR/C/SL/SR/SW)/1 system < In addition > Power source/100V 50/60Hz electric power consumption/13W maximum external size/435 ~75 ~211mm mass/2.2kg

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the translation. It talks about no time delay for SACD....does that mean it will output a pure DSD signal with no PCM conversion??

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I finally got Acrobat Reader installed on my new computer, so I was able to view the .pdf for the Denon '1200. Yup, it looks like the '900/'910. DVD-Audio is a major upgrade to the '1200, on paper, however, I wonder how the '1200 will perform as an audio component. I have my concerns there. If the '1400 will be designed in the same vein as the '1600, that may be the ticket for me, though I don't need SACD.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
If the '1400 will be designed in the same vein as the '1600, that may be the ticket for me, though I don't need SACD.
Keith,
all you need is one killer app and you'll start wanting it. ;) I though i'd not want SACD until PF released Dark Side of the Moon on SACD.. then I had to search for a universal player to replace a month old DVD player :P

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Uhm....

I am still curious how that stand alone SACD player only available in Japan sounds compared to something like the Sony SCD777es or even something like Denon's own forthcoming 5900. It's to bad Denon never made the SA-100 available here in North America, but 33lbs...wow!

Reg

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
With all the problems Denon is having with their players (up to and including the 2900) they better damn well get their asses in gear to make sure these even newer players are ready out of the gate instead of giving us rush jobs and then lip service.

One thing to do would be to give Secrets a working design prototype so they can give Denon engineers feedback before they release it to the public. Wow! What a concept!

Dan

David S

Stunt Coordinator
"With all the problems Denon is having with their players (up to and including the 2900)"

Dan - specifics?? Had my since day 1 and outside of 2 rentals that 'stuttered" during play, the 2900 is solid!! BM?? In listening, I've never heard a lack of bass. Sure the test tone was -10 low, but no lack of bass with the tunes?

How long did you have the 950 in your system and what kinds if problems did you have?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Dan- Shoot man, I remember all the problems that normal DVD players had when they first came out. :)

Some wouldn't play all CDs, a lot of them had lip sync problems, etc.

The 2900 isn't perfect, but it is *still* a step up from the Yamaha and all the Pioneer based players IMO.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
They still have the CUE problem, wrong implementation of bass management and channel levels for DVD-A and SACD (the excuse that they were made for their own receivers' 5.1 inputs is b-llsh-t; there have been countless articles by industry professionals talking about how to do it right), some stuttering with SACD's, runs hot, overly steep video frequency roll off (yes, it can effect detail), etc. Some of these things the Denon's have had from day one and they still haven't fixed them.

They even stated in pre-release PR statements they would have Secrets give the 2900 a run down before its release, but they never did and gave them the player a little bit after it was released to the public where some of the problems were found out. We shouldn't have to be the QC testers, Denon should be.

Dan

David S

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, do you own a 2900? If not, you seem to take this WAY to personal.

CUE problem - for me, I'm way too engrossed in the movie, sound, and the top-notch video to even see a cue problem. How long does one even last in a DVD that is rolling. See, I don't think pausing the DVD, taking a picture with a Dig camera, and post it on the net means all that much.

BM - I'm "managing" just fine. The 2900/Outlaw 950 suffers no lack of bass during actual playback. Agree the test tone is to low, but played around a little, dialed it in just right, and Miles Davis KOB could not sound sweeter (well maybe on vinyl, but that something else).

3 months in - nary a stutter. 0 on SACD and DVD Audio, 2 on rented videos.

Overally steep roll-off - all I've read in EVERY review, users and mags alike is that the detail on the 2900 is incredible. Read them, watch the player, and if more detail is needed, adjust the player and set. Me, never touched it!

Sorry all for turning this into a 2900 defense, just Dan's comments struck me as way similar to the whole love em/hate em Outlaw saga - which I own, and I thought Dan did too???

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
David S,

I do own the Model 950, but in order to not get duplicated bass to your subwoofer you have to do two things: leave all bass management and time delay OFF on the player and then flip the analog BM switch for 5.1 analog on the back of the 950 to ON. That is a fixed 80 Hz rolloff.

If you have things sets up differently then you may be thinking the BM "managing just fine" is just the fact that with the toggle switch in the OFF position the Model 950 it allows full range response from the 5 main speakers (and that part's ok) and then duplicates the 80 Hz and below frequencies in those channels and blends them with the LFE .1 channel. Hence the "double the bass" syndrome. A known design bug that has yet to be fixed. It can many times deceive you into thinking you are getting more bass than you actually "should" be by "loading" the room via sub and main speakers.

I got fooled once or twice myself when playing with a friend's Pioneer Elite universal player and my Outlaw.

The only way things worked correctly was when I switched the DVD-Audio and SACD speaker settings in the player to LARGE, sub to ON and then used the 80 Hz BM switch on the back of the pre-amp. The BM of the player was then taken out of the equation (so whether its BM was faulty or not had nothing to do with anything at that point).

It's not that I have a personal beef with Denon (I bought a lot of stereo and CD equipment from them in the mid 80's that still work just fine), it's just that I am overly disappointed that this $999 universal, which was supposed to be (and promised to be) thoroughly tested before launch, still had fixable problems that weren't addressed, and they hadn't gotten useful feedback from Secrets until after it had hit the store shelves because Denon didn't give them a 2900 until then (too late to do anything with what they found in their tests). Then we got some wacky channel level adjustment download to "fix" the problem and then some lame excuses as to why the levels were way off in the first place.

I really had wanted to buy this unit, and thought it might be a great way to get into SACD and DVD-Audio without overly compromising the DSD playback with a PCM down-conversion.

To make a long story even longer, I finally decided to wait out the format wrangling and picked up a Pioneer 563A universal via the great OneCall/HTF deal. Yup, I know it's not perfect either and nowhere near the build and sonic quality of the Denon (and quite possibly converts one or more channels of DSD to PCM), but I couldn't resist the call of its "cheapness." :D And, I didn't invest much so I could weather the storm in ease until the kinks are worked out on these players.

Keep it real! :)

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
News flash! From some reports on the AVS Forum it looks like the Philips inexpensive all-in-one SACD decoder is sending unconverted DSD signals to the Burr Brown DSD/PCM DAC's (supposidly the DAC model used will take both formats) on the 563A. Perhaps it doesn't convert at all!

Too bad they didn't filter, isolate, and dampen the thing in order to have a more noise free output than what you get. Then it would have possibly been a price vs. performance champ.

Hopefully more conclusive tests will follow.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks