New Denon DVD Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Alcasid, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

FYI, Denon just updated their web site with info on their new DVD players. They posted a manual for the 9000 and put up a final spec sheet for the 3800 and 1600. I'm not positive but the 1600 looks like a rebranded Panasonic but I can't tell which one from the specs. Anyone care to guess?

2. Jordan Jensen

If I am not mistaken, it is an RP56.

3. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Wow- that 9000 looks like the Holy Grail of DVD players- is its price going within any sense of reason?

Andrew

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

[​IMG] WOW...those new players look and sound (spec-wise) very impressive!

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I doubt it's a rebadged Panny RP-56, since the Denon 1600 also includes DVD-A with bass management. It appears more likely to be an updated RP-91 with bass management. If I were to pick up one these players, it would have to be the 1600, since the others are pretty much out of my price range. BTW, I hear the DVD-9000 will also be SACD compatible as well (The official Denon site specs on this one aren't yet finalized). It's amazing that the DVD-9000 nearly weighs forty-pounds!

Reg

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Reggie,

The 1600 is a reworked RP-56. It's no major task to add DVD-A to the RP-56.

Denon has said (in another forum) that the RP-56 is the basis for the DV-1600.

Regards,

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks John,

I stand corrected. However, can you please explain to us why Denon continually uses Panasonic designs for their DVD players? Is Denon incapable of making a DVD player with its own firmware or identity? I'm curious, because they appear to be leaders when it comes to receivers, but their DVD players have so far been someone elses!

Reg

8. Ron Alcasid

ReggieW,

Denon does design it's own DVD players. Just take a closer look at the hi end 3800 and 9000, they are unique designs. However, at the low end it's probably not profitable to build something completely original since that side of the market is more price sensitive. That's my theory anyway.

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I agree Ron. I do notice that their two flagship models (3800 & 9000) do appear to have their own identity. Your theory does make sense.

Reg

10. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

What's so surprising in one company rebadging another comapny's unit?

Yamaha DVD510 and 520 are rebadged Philips. Their mid-end player used to be rebadged Panasonic.

Even esoteric players such as Theta is rebadged Pioneer (including the chroma bug too).

Marantz DVD changer is a rebadged Pioneer.

and the list goes on

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ron hit the nail on the head. At the entry level price points, there is little to no point in "rolling your own" solution.
    As you escalate in price, the opportunity and ability to do so is
    David -- quite a number of higher end players are based on OEM versions of players. Theta and Ayre start as Pioneer OEM units, but they are highly modified.
    The Camelot Roundtable is based on a Panasonic player, as are the EAD players.
    Very few high-end companies have the financial and human resources to develop their own DVD players from the ground up.
    Regards,

12. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks John!

It may just be cheaper to pick-up the next generation DVD-A player coming from Panasonic. I'm sure you will spend a little more money on the 1600 because of the Denon name, whereas a Panny RP-56 with DVD-A would probably have a msrp $200.00 lower than the Denon's.

Reg

13. Ron Alcasid