What's new

New Denon DVD players (1 Viewer)

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they fixed the chroma upsampling bug. That would make these players flawless.
Remains to be scene, but Denon reps swear the new crop of the players are chroma-bug free. I don't see a reason not to believe them though, the recent DVM4800 doesn't have it.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone explain the 3800's:

"4:3 Shrink and Zoom Controls"?

I've been waiting to see if Denon has fixed the supposed scaling problems on the 4800......but I might be persuaded to eye-ball a 3800 instead!

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
I'm think about getting the 3800 but I've had many issues with the 2800. I went through three players before I got one that worked and recently that one started acting flaky and it is now in the shop. I have a Denon receiver that has proven to be extremely reliable, which is one reason I went with a Denon DVD player. Also, my local dealer has been very gracious in handling all the issues I've had with the 2800. So is it time to dump Denon?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to the 3800. I hope they have all the bugs worked out! Although I have a friend with a 2800 who has had zero problems.

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
Besides the price difference what are the main feature differences between the 3800 and 9000?
The 3800 should sell for $1200 and the 9000 for $3000.
Must be some BIG differences.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I don't know, but that sucker (the Denon 9000) almost weighs 40 pounds! The components in that mother must be made of steel or something.
Reg:D

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
The 3800 would have been the perfect player. But Denon seem to reserve the "Denon Link" for the DVD 9000 :angry:
So what is this good for if you are willing to spend the $$$ for the AVR 5800 Upgrade and then again will be forced to buy and extrem DVD-Player to get a use of it?
I hope they rethink this feature and add it to the DVD 3800 too. Else this is neither :emoji_thumbsup: nor :thumbsdown:

keith fox

Agent
Whats with the the SRP on the DVD9000 ?
$3500 :frowning:
I think this makes the Pioneer Elite DV-47A "Universal" DVD Player that also includes SACD in addition to DVD-Audio for $1200 well worth looking at. Hopefully Pioneer got their
act together in the progressive video dept.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
The question is: "Is the Denon 9000 worth $3500?" I know that opens a can of worms, BUT how does the 9000 compare to other products from say Theta, Muse, Camelot etc?

If you have the green in your back pocket and the Denon sounds and looks better than the Pioneer then...... Listen to both in the same environment and then make your decision. I'd rather have a component that does a great job with only a few features than one that has many features and is lousy.

rw

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
If the 3800 has 4:3 scaling, I can restart the movie in the same place where I stopped it (this is a very big selling point for me), and it truly doesn't have any chroma error or flicker error or push to the left or what not, then I have a new DVD player to purchase.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Keith,

I visited Denon's site and they make a point of say that the Chroma bug is non-existant on the 9000, but omitted saying so for the 3800. Or did I miss something. ??????

I'll be glad when the dealers in my area get these machines (March '02 for the 9000) so that I can take a close look and listen for myself.

rw

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon site does mention the 3800 uses the ESS Vibratto ES6038F MPEG decoder, same as the 9000, which they claim has no chroma upsampling error. The video spec for both machines look very similar, if not identical.

Andrew P

Second Unit
I remember last year at this time when Denon introduced the 2800 and it sounded like the holy grail of dvd players. I sold my dvd player (because of the paper specs) and I was burned because the player had many issues (most of all a soft picture).

I am hoping these players are great (they sure sound good), but let your eyes be the deciding factor in March or April.

Andy

JakubV

Auditioning
Hi,
I find same problem about Denon specification of new DVD players.
Denon specify on www.denon.com for DVD9000 and 3800 following:
..Top audio performance, featuring Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz PCM 1704 Audio DACs..
but PCM 1704 DAC supporting only 96kHz/24bit - see
Burr-Brown PCM 1704 DAC :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Denon continue non seriously reporting about product, example DVD 2800 -
denon specify
Highest resolution Analog Devices 54 MHz, 4:4:4, 12 bit Video D/A Conversion system
But DVD2800 use for interlaced output/composite/svideo Analog Device ADV7172 video DAC - 10 bit with 8 bit input, 27MHz :thumbsdown:
and for progresive output use ADV7196A video DAC - 11 bit with 10 bit input, 54MHz, but NOT 12 BIT !!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
(I testing one player in last september, open player and find those chips: ESS4408F, SiI503, ADV7196A and ADV7172)
Do you have somebody idea about this non serious behavior?
:confused: :confused:
Jakub from Prague/CZ
www.dvdbase.cz

ReggieW

Screenwriter
In fairness to Denon, their website did state that their specs were not finalized and subject to change (we have already seen dates pushed back, and the new Faroudja driven 1600 DVD-A player has yet to even be listed). For example, it has become known that the DVD-9000 will handle SACD as well as DVD-A, but there is yet no mention of it on their site as of now. I will be glad when the specs are finalized, as the DVD-9000 does not yet appear to be worth three times the value of the DVD-3800 from what they have listed imho, though the 9000's SACD compatibility does push things up a notch.
Reg:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks