What's new

New Denon DVD Players (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Sep 13, 2006 10:30

New Denon DVD Players to Feature HQV Video Processing Engine

SAN JOSE, Calif. --(Business Wire)-- Sept. 13, 2006 Denon has announced the introduction of two new DVD players that will feature HQV processing. The Denon DVD-3930CI (MSRP $1499) features Realta HQV(R) processing, and the DVD-2930CI (MSRP $849) features Reon-VX HQV processing.
"In 2005 we launched our flagship DVD player, the 5910, featuring HQV processing, and it received rave reviews and won almost every single industry award, including Digital Entertainment Group's 'DVD Player of the Year,' and 'Product of the Year' from Audioholics.com and Electronic House magazine. With this incredible success, it only made sense for us to move HQV processing to the next level of our product line," said Jeff Talmadge, Denon's Director, Product Development and Systems Integration.

The Denon DVD-3930CI offers many of the same leading-edge characteristics as Denon's acclaimed flagship player, the DVD-5910CI, including Silicon Optix's Realta HQV video processor. Key to Realta's image-enhancing power is its ability to perform over one trillion video-processing operations per second. Realta features no-compromise deinterlacing, 3:2/2:2 and advanced cadence detection, motion-adaptive noise reduction, 1024-tap scaling, detail enhancement, and advanced keystone correction.

Denon's DVD-2930CI is the first DVD player to feature the new Silicon Optix Reon-VX HQV processing. Reon-VX features no-compromise deinterlacing, 3:2 and 2:2 cadence detection, motion adaptive noise reduction, powerful scaling, detail enhancement and advanced keystone correction.

"Both the Denon DVD-3930CI and DVD-2930CI do the best job in the industry of taking regular DVDs and having them approach high definition quality. While high-definition players have just been launched, the format war continues, and the first players have had their share of issues. These players offer a great alternative to the HD players, delivering close to HD quality for your existing library of DVDs," continued Denon's Talmadge.

For more information on HQV processing, please go to http://www.HQV.com

About Denon

From its beginning in the 1930s as a supplier of professional recording studio and broadcast equipment, Denon has become a world leader in the manufacture of the highest quality audio, audio/video, and software products. Denon is recognized internationally for innovative and groundbreaking products and has a long history of technical innovations, including the development and first commercialization of PCM digital audio. Additional information is available at http://www.usa.denon.com.

About Silicon Optix

Silicon Optix Inc, a privately held fabless semiconductor company, is the leading supplier of advanced video/image digital processing integrated circuits (ICs). The company's products are driving three unique technologies into a broad range of markets: a patented, powerful, array-based programmable DSP for digital video, industry-leading software algorithms from Teranex and proprietary eWARP(TM) geometry processing. Its mission is to leverage these innovative technologies into ICs that will enable the next generation of digital video/image capture, transmission, distribution, editing, storage and display solutions, with an initial focus on large area digital displays including front and rear projection. Silicon Optix is headquartered in San Jose, California, with operations in Hanover, Germany; Orlando, Florida; Taipei, Taiwan and Toronto, Canada. For more information about Silicon Optix, please visit the company's Web sites at http://www.siliconoptix.com and http://www.teranex.com.

"

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes - but it's Denon's official CEDIA press release. What I really found interesting was the Denon reps comments "While high-definition players have just been launched, the format war continues, and the first players have had their share of issues. These players offer a great alternative to the HD players, delivering close to HD quality for your existing library of DVDs," continued Denon's Talmadge. " So it is just not consumers who are frustrated by the format war.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've been using the Denon 2930CI for the last couple of weeks. It's a very, very impressive player. I've used or demo'd a lot of players and it's better than any of them (including the Denon 3910 and the Toshiba HD-A1 at 480p component or 1080i HDMI upscaling). I've never seen such picture depth and color rendition with standard DVDs on my display. As far as deinterlacing, it scores 130/130 on the HQV benchmark test (one might expect this since the player's chipset and benchmark disc is from Silicon Optics, but impressive none the less).

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know how the new DVD-1930Ci is? I'm looking for a new DVD player that does 1080p. Is the 2930Ci with the Silicon Optix Reon-VX HQV that much better to justify the $500 price difference?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Since the 1930CI uses Faroudja, macroblocking will be a possibility -- no issue with Silicon Optix. The Reon also offers 10 bit processing (like Realta) so that may be of benefit, as well. AS far as how much better the deinterlacing and scaling is with the 2930CI, I can't answer. It may be worth $500 to some people, but not others.

I'm more curious as to how much better the 3930 will be over the 2930. These two players seem to be a closer match in terms of video performance --- based on specs anyway. I'm going to have to demo a 3930.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Nobody is talking about the audio on these players. Why? I have the 2900, one of the biggest reasons I got this unit several years back now was because of the excellant audio for a universal player.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I only care about video and only listen to music in my car. I guess I could compare the the DACs of this player to my Yamaha receiver for movies (since I use digital optical for movies), but haven't felt like going through the hassle of hooking up to multi-channel and I'm happy with my receiver's sound.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Well I was all set to get the Denon DVD-1930CI but the wife said go ahead, get the 2930CI. Hey, who am I to argue. The store said about 2-3 weeks(special order) because they only have up to the 1930CI in stock. I also ordered the new Sharp Aquos LC46D62 LCD HDTV which I also have to wait for. I hope the wait will be worth it and the combo will give me a fantastic picture.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Wesley, I posted the "Star Wars" issue on the AVS forum. I'm not sure if what I'm encoutering is CUE or not -- but it's not seen on other players I've used.

boe_d

Grip
I purchased the 1930ci and it wasn't in the same league as my old Sony 9000es. I'm not sure if the issue is converting hdmi to DVI (even though I used a very high quality cable) or if the issue is with my Mits WS-65813 and the 1930ci. I tried the 2910 last year and it looked much better using DVI to my TV. I tried using the component out from the 1930 to my TV and although the colors were more vibrant - it was a muddy picture.

I tried tweaking and calibrating and that helped but it still couldn't get my picture as good as my old Sony. My old Sony though is missing many features for playback formats that I purchased the Denon for. I'm considering the 2930 but I haven't heard any comparisons from anyone who has tried the 1930 and the 2930 on large sets to compare (I mean 55" or larger - the 1930 looks fine on my little 35" CRT) I also haven't seen any comparisons from anyone who used both the 2910 and the 2930. Either of these reviews would be appreciated.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Did you fully calibrate the 1930CI with a reference disc such as Avia or DVE?

The 2930 is definitely better than the 2910 (and 3910 for that matter).

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the problem is the Mits display. Never use DVI on a Mits CRT.

regards

Gregg

hinkley50

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I just got a denon 2930CI and hooked it up today. I tried it using hdmi but the quality was not what I expected. The compenent video actually looks quite a bit better. I have a Samsung hls5087w. I did not set it up with a reference disk. Would this help a lot or is there something else going on? Could it be the quality of the hdmi cable? The cable is a NXG hdmi cable and it goes straight into the tv right now. Should I try buying a different cable or any other ideas? I have changed the format to each one of the options and even tried auto which usually puts a movie in 1080i. Just doesn't look as good as it should. Thanks for the help!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The set up discs are to optimize a particular DVD player for your display. I would guess the best resolution to use would be whatever is native to your display. If you have spent $$$ on a nice display and DVD player, why not spring for a set-up disc (perhaps $35 ?) that you can use over and over?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

You definitely need to use a calibration disc and you need to calibrate each input/scanrate you use with the player. Experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks