New Denon AVC-A11SR Announced with support for the new DTS 96 kHz/24-Bit format-

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Spero D, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

As well as THX processing for DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete and also DPL-II [​IMG] This unit is equivalent to the US AVR-4802 that will be coming out, though I don't know if the AVR-4802 will offer the support for the new DTS format as it is not mentioned in the AVR-4802 PDF. Read the news at-
    Area DVD from the German IFA Audio show.
    To translate use Babelfish HERE.
    Spero D.
    [Edited last by Spero D on August 23, 2001 at 08:29 AM]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

What is

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

quote: You'd be incorrect in that assumption. It is an entirely new format.[/quote]
    Great. I'm usually up on these things, but this is a development I missed. When was it announced? I'll have to see if http://www.dtsonline.com) that DTS has developed it's own algorithm to compete with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP). If so, then will the new DTS format offer any real advantages over DVD-Audio? Will new hardware be required?
    As I said, I thought DTS was supporting the DVD-Audio format. Given the difficulties DVD-Audio has had difficulties gaining market penetration, especially with a lack of software (I realize it's still early), is the market really interested in another higher-resolution PCM format? Maybe DTS could churn out titles faster than Warner and would not use watermarks. Maybe DTS would allow use of a digital output for its new format (i.e., to meld with the Denon component that is the subject of this thread). All of this would help its cause, but I'm still not sure that such a new format will gain acceptance. Should be interesting. Personally, I would rather see DTS support DVD-Audio. Two high-resolution formats (DVD-Audio and SACD) are enough, especially when I question what the new DTS format will offer over DVD-Audio.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on August 23, 2001 at 09:00 AM]

5. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Keith,
    the new DTS 24/96 format is not intended to compete with SACD/DVD-Audio - it is an extension of the current DTS/DTS-ES format.
    ------------------
    My DVD collection