What's new

New Denon 4806, minor problems. (1 Viewer)

Had my 4806 for a few days now and having some minor problems.

First, does the on screen display work through HDMI? I sat there playing with it for over an hour, and for the life of me I couldn't get the OSD to work with HDMI. Finally dragged out some old component cables, and it worked great. But one of the reasons I wanted this AVR was so that I could just have one small HDMI cable going to my projector (Panny AE700U, which should be able to display any rez the 4806 puts out).

Second, I've tried the MultEQ a few times now with both one position and 6 positions. It really opens up the soundstage and sounds very nice, I do like it, but for some reason it's destroying the bass. On all of the curves it's punching up everything above 500hz or so by 6-9db, while leaving the bass region pretty flat. It even gave my sub -12db, and it was pretty balanced before according to the SPL meter.

I've been trying every setting I can find, changing the fronts from large to small and back, changing the crossover point, changed it to LFE+Main for the sub, tried 'front', audyssey, flat, etc but the bass always seems a bit lacking.

I'm really used to feeling it in the LFE heavy portions of DVDs.

Speakers are: Klipsch KLF-30s for mains, RC-7 center, RS-7 surrounds, Velodyne 5000S for the sub. With (4) 12" woofers in the KLF-30s and the 15" in the Velodyne there's certainly enough potential for bass.

Everything appears to be wired correctly, all the speakers respond where they're supposed to and the sub output is going to the proper input on the sub, I'm just at a loss. No speakers are wired out of phase, I rechecked everything 3 times.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Bill

Have you looked over at the AVS Forum? There is a huge thread about the 4806. Your issues have probably been answered.

Yep, posted there on the 4806 thread.

Just spent another couple hours dinking with it, and finally got it working properly.

For some stupid reason, MultEQ set the subwoofer to a shocking -12dB. I ran through Avia about 20 times and the SPL was waaaaay off for the bass region, so much so it didn't even make a difference if I turned the subwoofer off!

I checked all the connections another 15 times, started sending test tones out of the 4806, the sub was definately hooked up and connected properly, it had to be as in the MultEQ setup I clearly heard the sub responding.

Started juicing up the sub from -12db, finally stopped at -1db and the SPL meter was reading a flat 75db on test tones going from the fronts to the sub.

FINALLY it sounds correct, I just don't understand why MultEQ would intentionally destroy the bass and set levels so far off for my subwoofer? I know it doesn't EQ the sub like the HK 635, but damn, -12dB?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks