New Denon 3802 - Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Bartlett, May 13, 2002.

1. Gary Bartlett

Gary Bartlett Auditioning

Greetings -

I recently purchased a Denon 3802 receiver and have a couple of questions about its use.

First of all, I am having difficulty getting it to recognize Dolby 5.1 from a JVC XV-511 DVD player. I have it connected using the optical link, and while the display of the DVD player indicates that the disk is 5.1 - the display on the 3802 doesn't have the Digital light lit. I have been able to receive 5.1 input from a Direct-TV receiver - so I have to feel that the Receiver is working. I have also done the basic things like switching the cables and input ports - but can't get it working. Is there anyway short of returning the DVD player for service to determine if it is in fact outputting the 5.1 signal. For what it is worth, I get nothing when attempting to listen to a DVD that has been encoded with DTS.

Second, I would like to use the speaker from my TV (a Hitachi 60SBX78B) as the center speaker until I am able to get a separate center speaker. I was thinking that I could just take the pre-out for the Center speaker and feed it into the TV (the TV has a Dolby setting that indicates use the TV as center only). Does this sound correct ? Apologies for asking this prior to trying it out myself ( I will probably give it a try tonight).

Finally, I was surprised that the 3802 does not support on screen display via the Component Video connections. Is this the case with most receivers out there ? This is a bit of a PITA, and I don't really understand why this limitation exists.

Thanks in advance, I have learned a bunch from reading through the messages in this forum (and plan to learn a bunch more in the future).

Gary

2. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Have you gone into the setup menu of the receiver and selected the optical input for the dvd as opposed to coaxial?

3. Gary Bartlett

Yes the receiver is setup to use the Optical link (which is the only connection I am using between the DVD player and the receiver). Also, I am getting sound (except when I play a DTS disk) - but according to the lights on the receiver - its not Dolby Digital.

4. Gary Bartlett

I was able to figure this out (with the help of a salesguy from the store where I bought the receiver) - the problem was the DVD was configured to output PCM only. After changing to Stream/PCM I am now getting Dolby Digital and DTS.

I did not realize that in order to enter setup mode for the DVD player, I had to remove the DVD.

Gary

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Keep us posted, I have a 3802 also. Mine is in rear output all the time(push the 6.1 button on front). Also I prefer 7 channel stereo with 7 full range speakers. I was going to say to check that digital was selected for your input, but you got the other common fix. Be sure to check you dvd setup without a dvd once in a while. They will dump to factory preset which is analog. I may get a sub one of these days.[​IMG]