New Denon 1403 Specs From Denon Site!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jul 1, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Here it is folks:

Dolby Digital Pro Logic II/dts A/V Receiver • Dolby Pro Logic II, with Cinema and Music Modes • Dolby Digital and DTS decoding • 24 bit DSP processor • 5 equal power amplifier channels • 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms,

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Reggie,

Thanks for posting this. I'm also anxiously awaiting the announcement on the new 1803 receiver. I can't believe nothing changed on the 1602/1403 receiver other than the price and the number on the front. Maybe it has come off a different manufacturing line? Cheaper to manufacture? Retailers will have to drop their price more than $100 to get consumers to purchase the 1602 clearance models - otherwise, there is no benefit in getting the 1602 over the 1403 for someone who is interested in those receivers.

3. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Here are the differences I see:
    1602:
    • One Optical digital output for recording
    • "S" & composite video switching
    • Banana plug compatible speaker terminals all channels
    1403:
    • No digital output mentioned
    • Composite video switching (No S-video switching)
    • Banana plug compatible speaker terminals Front, Center Channels

4. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Bring on the Denon 3803 [​IMG]
    Love to see the specs on this!

5. Shaun Lynde

Shaun Lynde Auditioning

6. Wayne Ernst

Shaun,

Thanks for your excellent work at locating these additional documents. I thought the 1803 was going to be bumped up to 90 w.p.c., but I guess they kept it at 80 and just added the 6th channel. Some other interesting points on the 1803:

-> DTS NEO:6
    -> Adjustable subwoofer crossover points: 80, 100 and 120 Hz.
    -> DTS-ES Matrix and Discrete decoding.
    -> Redesigned remote control. I wonder if it has improved?
    -> Multi-zone output.
    -> Pre-outs to add an additional amplifier for 7.1 sound.

I don't think there's enough of an improvement to move from an 1802 to an 1803, unless you need the 6th channel for a rear surround.

However, I'm still greatful to see the specs as I've been awaiting them.

As Greg has indicated, bring on the 3803. Yeah baby!

7. Wayne Ernst

I've also found a vendor listing the AVR-883 (which should be the equivalent of the AVR-1803) for $327, but it's back-ordered:
    NxGen Site for AVR-883 - $327.00
    NxGen Site for AVR-683 (AVR-1603 equivalent for $261.00.)
    NxGen Site for DHT-683XP (New home theater in a box for $421.00 including the AVR-683 (AVR-1603 equivalent)).
    I've checked their shipping charges before and they are quite reasonable if anyone is ever considering them. They've been a pretty good vendor of computer products, but I can't speak on how well of a vendor they are for audio products.

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Shaun,

I think I will also wait to upgrade my 1802 to a 3803 when it arrives. I have an 1802 and feel the bump up to the 1802 isn't much of an improvement besides that 6th channel as well.

Reg

9. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

The 1803 is tempting me to wait a month and save a couple of bucks instead of getting the 2802. The only thing holding me back is the lack of preamp outs, as I'd like the flexibility to slowly make the move to separates without jumping in and getting the pre/pro and amps all at the same time. I may drive down to the A/V store and pick up the 2802 tomorrow now that I've seen these specs. (The angel sez: Colin, do not be hasty with your purchase, as you will regret it later.)

I definitely will, however, suggest that my dad invest in the 1603 when he wants to upgrade. (We don't have room for the rear surround channels here.)

The interesting thing, though, is it appears that both the 1603 and 1803 have component video switching now.

I'm disappointed that there's no back panel photo on the 1803 infosheet.

10. Denis K

Denis K Agent

Anyone know when specs (or product) will be available for a 2803?

11. Denis K

Denis K Agent

Oops, sorry. Should have searched first. Looks like the info on the 2803 will be available around the same time as the 3803... still several months out.

12. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

Colin,
    I think the 1803 will have full 7.1 pre-outs just like the 2802. The copy under the heading, "Single-Channel Surround Back Power AMP for 6.1 Surround and 2-channel Pre-output for 7.1 Surround" is identical to the 2802's product sheet. In the specs it only lists a subwoofer pre-out, which contradicts the earlier text. I think this is just a typo and this document is not in its final draft (at least I hope so [​IMG]). Do you think they would only put 2 pre-outs for the rear-back channel?
    The link to the 2802 product sheet is http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/28023final.pdf
    (the file name is also another clue that the 1803 info found is not yet final)

13. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

All this is moot now that I just ordered the 3802 from 6thave.com. That deal was too sweet to pass up. The 2802/3802 break is the most significant one in Denon's line, I think. Not only do you get 7 amps, but I believe the construction and chipset goes up a notch, too.

14. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

(I meant the lower end of the line, sorry. I don't want to talk about the 4800/5800 stuff.... yet.)

15. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Congrats on your purchase Colin! I'm glad that I could help you get a great deal. I actually think that the $699 price is below cost or at least near it. I don't know how they could be making any money. You'll be glad that you got the 3802 over the 2802. Again congrats and I hope you have fun setting it up.

BTW, what receiver are you coming from? Also do you plan to setup a 7.1 system?

16. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

I was told at the NYC HT show by Denon that the 2803 and the 3803 with be available in 6 months.

17. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Interesting?

Why no Dolby 5.1 Surround EX?

Expect that on the 2803/3803?

T.

18. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Tony,
    Reading the spec sheet for the 1803, under the tab "High-quality DSP" on the first page, it says that the reciever will support Dolby Digital EX.

Chris S.

19. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Greg:

I'm coming from a cheap, $300 Aiwa HTIB setup. I'm scared to open the instruction manual and look at the specs of the receiver now that I know more about this stuff.

I'm planning on doing the 7.1 thing, yeah. I just need to pick up another pair of speakers to match my surrounds.

I'm also scared to hookup the 3802. You know, ignorance is bliss and whatnot.