New Dell LCD TVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Drew_W, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The Canadian link for the 17" WideScreen version (the only one out at the moment) is :

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...HS1&l=en&s=dhs

Specs at:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

$999 in Canada, $699 in the US. Not bad. Factor in the 15% off you get on your first Software/Peripherals order if you sign up for their newsletter (at least here in Canada) and this thing pretty much comes out to $1000 after taxes. The Samsung 17" WideScreens run about ~$1400 here before taxes, and the Dell is both High Def AND has Faroudja DCDi processing. Nifty.

Has anyone bought one of these yet, or seen one?

2. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Wow. I also just noticed this. How long have they been out? I have been looking for a good LCD TV for a while, but costs are just too much. Dell competition in this market might actually be a good thing.

Only a 400:1 contrast ratio. I wonder how well thy will doin a bright room?

3. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Anyone? I did find out that the TV tuner will only decode mono sound, not stereo. No biggie there as it will probably be hooked up to a stereo VCR.

I also like that it acts as a computer monitor (1280x768) and can do PIP.

Would it be a big mistake to buy this display instead of a comparable Samsung, Sharp, etc?

4. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Bringing this thread back to the top.

I am wanting to get a LCD display for the bedroom, and I think that this one fits the bill. I won't be using it a PC/Display except for occasion.

Has anyone purchased the W1700? Is there another display I should be considering?

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

They sell TiVos too now...next we'll probably see Dell speakers (wonder who will OEM those for them), Dell amps, maybe even Dell cables [​IMG]

Now as I search the site to complete my post, I've come along the customization screen for the Dell LCD TV and...there are options for *gasp* MONSTER CABLES...you also have the option of adding on an HTIB, a TiVo, a DVD player/recorder...since I rarely visit the US Dell site, please pardon my morbid fascination with this, but they haven't (afaik) as yet started selling home theatre stuff in Canada...this is quite interesting...

I'm a huge fan of the Samsung LCD TVs, I think they look fantastic. And I'm currently using a Dell 15" Monitor to watch movies on my desk while I browse the net, and I'm quite satisfied with its picture (using VGA out from my laptop, an older Dell, whose screen is not nearly as good). I really don't think you can go wrong with it, sight unseen. I have yet to see an HDTV LCD TV I haven't been impressed with. But I too would love to hear what people have to say about it...

Bring out your opinions... [​IMG]

6. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

FYI, I ended up buying the Dell W1700 display as it was on sale with a new computer purchase for a total of $629. I couldn't pass it up at that price!

I LOVE IT! I am playing my DVDs on amy Sony non-progressive player and am running component out to the TV.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Wow. $629 for a computer and that display? I'd jump all over that too. Glad you're enjoying it!

Dell Canada needs better promos. [​IMG]

8. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

I'm sorry I misspoke. It was $629 for the display, down from $699 if you purchased a computer from Dell Home. The computer was about $899