What's new

New Dell LCD TVs (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The Canadian link for the 17" WideScreen version (the only one out at the moment) is :

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...HS1&l=en&s=dhs

Specs at:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

$999 in Canada, $699 in the US. Not bad. Factor in the 15% off you get on your first Software/Peripherals order if you sign up for their newsletter (at least here in Canada) and this thing pretty much comes out to $1000 after taxes. The Samsung 17" WideScreens run about ~$1400 here before taxes, and the Dell is both High Def AND has Faroudja DCDi processing. Nifty.

Has anyone bought one of these yet, or seen one?

Chris_HA

Agent
Wow. I also just noticed this. How long have they been out? I have been looking for a good LCD TV for a while, but costs are just too much. Dell competition in this market might actually be a good thing.

Only a 400:1 contrast ratio. I wonder how well thy will doin a bright room?

Chris_HA

Agent
Anyone? I did find out that the TV tuner will only decode mono sound, not stereo. No biggie there as it will probably be hooked up to a stereo VCR.

I also like that it acts as a computer monitor (1280x768) and can do PIP.

Would it be a big mistake to buy this display instead of a comparable Samsung, Sharp, etc?

Chris_HA

Agent
Bringing this thread back to the top.

I am wanting to get a LCD display for the bedroom, and I think that this one fits the bill. I won't be using it a PC/Display except for occasion.

Has anyone purchased the W1700? Is there another display I should be considering?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
They sell TiVos too now...next we'll probably see Dell speakers (wonder who will OEM those for them), Dell amps, maybe even Dell cables ;)

Now as I search the site to complete my post, I've come along the customization screen for the Dell LCD TV and...there are options for *gasp* MONSTER CABLES...you also have the option of adding on an HTIB, a TiVo, a DVD player/recorder...since I rarely visit the US Dell site, please pardon my morbid fascination with this, but they haven't (afaik) as yet started selling home theatre stuff in Canada...this is quite interesting...

I'm a huge fan of the Samsung LCD TVs, I think they look fantastic. And I'm currently using a Dell 15" Monitor to watch movies on my desk while I browse the net, and I'm quite satisfied with its picture (using VGA out from my laptop, an older Dell, whose screen is not nearly as good). I really don't think you can go wrong with it, sight unseen. I have yet to see an HDTV LCD TV I haven't been impressed with. But I too would love to hear what people have to say about it...

Bring out your opinions... ;)

Chris_HA

Agent
FYI, I ended up buying the Dell W1700 display as it was on sale with a new computer purchase for a total of $629. I couldn't pass it up at that price!

I LOVE IT! I am playing my DVDs on amy Sony non-progressive player and am running component out to the TV.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Wow. $629 for a computer and that display? I'd jump all over that too. Glad you're enjoying it!

Dell Canada needs better promos. :)

Chris_HA

Agent
I'm sorry I misspoke. It was $629 for the display, down from $699 if you purchased a computer from Dell Home. The computer was about $899

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks