New Dell and Power DVD: Capture feature missing??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Lindley, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi,

I have a new Dell with Power DVD software. Yet is does not have the capture feature that Power DVD is supposed to have (there is an older thread here that sort of discussed this, and the screen shots in that thread show features I do not have).

Has anyone else found this? How have you fixed it? Power DVD surely seems better than Media Player, but the 'upgrade' from what seems to be Dell's special feature hobbled limited edition is about $30.00 (Cyberlink website).

I've looked for freeware fixes; Snagit is shareware and costs more than the upgrade.

Any thoughts, fixes for hobbled screen capture programs?

Dan

2. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Just a question...did you get your DVD Rom and Power DVD from Dell or did you buy it yourself?

I have a Dell and only just bought my DVD Rom a few months ago. I didn't buy the drive from Dell but it did come with Power DVD and the screen capture works like a charm.

I'm just thinking that if the Power DVD came from Dell that it may be an older version or possibly a bad version. In either case could you send the Power DVD CD back to Dell and get a replacement?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi Stacey,

any answer is help. It means that Power DVD doesn't always come hobbled (assuming I have tried my best and enough to know mine is indeed hobbled).

Mine came pre-loaded, and the 'back-up' disk that came with is also hobbled. No capture anywhere, as far as I can tell. The angering part is that there is no indication anywhere. It is not like, for example, scanner software which often makes explicit that it is a limited edition, and says if you want more, do this (or Adobe, etc).

Just a no capture version.

What drive did you get anyway that came with it full up?

Thanks again, DL

4. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

The Dell computer that I got back in October came with PowerDVD version 4.0.08, and no capture feature. The DVD-ROM is a Samsung SD-616.

5. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

under the video settings try changing to software decoding (which would be not hardware acceleration)...if you are using DXVA/or hardware acceleration then you can't use the capture function.

also have you checked the help file? I believe you can find more info on this there.

6. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi Stacey,

any answer is help. It means that Power DVD doesn't always come hobbled (assuming I have tried my best and enough to know mine is indeed hobbled).

Mine came pre-loaded, and the 'back-up' disk that came with is also hobbled. No capture anywhere, as far as I can tell. The angering part is that there is no indication anywhere. It is not like, for example, scanner software which often makes explicit that it is a limited edition, and says if you want more, do this (or Adobe, etc).

Just a no capture version.

What drive did you get anyway that came with it full up?

Thanks again, DL

7. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Certain versions of PowerDVD that came with Dells definitely have the capture function taken out. I searched high and low for the feature on the version that came with my Dell, but it just wasn't there. No options could be enabled to get it working, it wasn't mentioned in the help file, and there wasn't even a camera button the the PowerDVD interface (not even a greyed-out one!).

I'm positive about this, because I've used a full version and had no trouble whatsoever using the capture feature.

8. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

ok,
    I guess if the camera icon is not only greyed out, but toally not there, then it has been eliminated from the software...you could try downloading the trial version from www.gocyberlink.com if you want to capture something once or twice every once in a while. I uninstall and reinstall powerdvd often and never notice any problems with the process. So you could uninstall your dell version, and then install the trial. capture away, and then uninstall, and reinstall your dell software.

9. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dan,

I was hoping against hope that it was just a faulty version of Power DVD and not a "hobbled version".

The DVD Rom I have is a "repackaged" drive from Cicero which came with the full version of Power DVD.

Maybe a complaint to Dell is in order?

10. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook, purchased in November, it shipped with WinDVD and I have yet to take a screenshot. Someone else had mentioned a good screenshot utility, but I can't remember the name, and it wasn't Snag-it.

11. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Stacey, et al,

Well, at least the evidence seems clear that Dell is shipping a hobbled Power DVD. Shame on them.

Dan