What's new

New "dead" find... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Went to an auction today and found a M&K V75. Said "bad" on the tag hanging on the power cord.

Got to it, snagged it for $2.50.

Get it home expecting the amp to be dead. Nope...the driver is fried. Amp works.

Looking for a new driver. Since the cabinet is sealed...should be easy.

Anybody know enough about the MK(I have another MK from when "powered sub" was new, this one is bigger/heavier) to suggest a replacement driver?

Last time I bought a driver I lucked into an Infinity for a JBL box...

By the way, won't be using the existing amp. Will use a Marantz monoblock. This MK will end up passive.

$2.50 for a box is pretty good.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I thought (but could be wrong) at some point they used Eminence drivers (don't remember when). I guess if you pull out the driver you could tell. If it is Eminence you probably can try sending them an email to figure out what a replacement would be or try sites like Madisound or Parts Express

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I found an Eminence on PE for just under $200. Will check with CS on Monday. Don't "really" want to spend that much. There are three other options in th $98-$145 range. All depends what fits though.

I did yank the driver. None of the numbers on it make any sense in a Google search.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How big is your Marantz monoblock? How big is your cabinet? PE's Dayton RS subs are a great value. The Ultimax will rock if you feed it enough power. Depending on the box size, even the Dayton DVC (the older stamped steel frame OEMed by Eminence) is a great option. Another option is the Alpine RS series of subs. The older one with a 2" voice coil is an awesome sound quality sub. The motor has copper in the coil to lower inductance.

What are your goals?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I haven't measured the interior of the box yet.

The Marantz is 175, pulls 425 off the wall.

Not planning anything earth shattering. Just decent fill matched up to some Infinity SS2003.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That one was one of my "three to choose" already. Glad it has some real world mention...

Hopefully today I have a chance to measure the opening, to make sure what I get matches up. I really would like to use the original screw bolts that hold the driver in. Then I just need a rubber seal. Or, I could just glue it...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
PE is inconsistent but sometimes they include a foam gasket. I just use weatherstripping from Home Depot.

Real Name
Walter Herrmann
Did you fix that sub yet? What size driver do you need. I have a brand new (in box for 10+ years) Eminence 12" which you can have for shipping cost, no charge for the driver. I am cleaning apartment, need space. Got to check if it still works. Sometimes the dust caps come loose etc.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dust cap I can fix. No I haven't done anything...other projects got in the way.

There is a series of numbers on the backside of the cone and a sticker on the magnet.

Could you tell me what those are?

If compatible (probably the same driver), I'll take it.

Shoot me a PM.

Real Name
Walter Herrmann
schan1269 said:
Dust cap I can fix. No I haven't done anything...other projects got in the way.

There is a series of numbers on the backside of the cone and a sticker on the magnet.

Could you tell me what those are?

If compatible (probably the same driver), I'll take it.

Shoot me a PM.
Right now I am at work, but I'll go home later and check it out. Maybe you're in luck??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
reeseherrmann said:
Right now I am at work, but I'll go home later and check it out. Maybe you're in luck??
I sent you a pm as well.

My project...

Went to an auction and found a crapton of Heathkit DIY kits(solid state and tube). None were complete, but out of the 50 odd kits, probably enough to make 30 amps and spare parts for a bunch.

Been sorting and selling that stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks