What's new

New DC Animated Features (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
DC Comics has announced a slate of animated features now in progress. The films will be made by writer/artist Darwyn Cooke (THE NEW FRONTIER; CATWOMAN), writer Marv Wolfman (THE NEW TEEN TITANS), Writer/producers Duane Capizzi (THE BATMAN, THE BATMAN VS. DRACULA) and Stan Berkowitz (JUSTICE LEAGUE). This will be under the supervision of supervising producers Bruce Timm (JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES) and Tom DeSanto (executive producer of the first two X-Men films and producer of the forthcoming Transformers feature).

Here's the story: http://www.dccomics.com/news/?nw=6583

The first three films are to be released in late 2007/early 2008. They will be Justice League: New Frontier (written by Stan Berkowitz, with Darwyn Cooke serving as story and visual consultant),
Superman: Doomsday (produced by Bruce Timm and written by Duane Capizzi, from a story by Timm & Capizzi), and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (written by Marv Wolfman and Tom DeSanto, produced by DeSanto).

No word on whether this will be canon with Bruce Timm's previous DC animated ventures...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
this sounds great! "New Frontiers" was a great comic series, if they don't dumb it down it should make for a great movie. I'm guessing "Doomsday" is hte teaser they had at comic com when they displayed the blood red on black Superman to suggest a "Death Of Superman" story line in JLU.

The key word here is Bruce Timm. these should be quality, otherwise I'd be skeptical. Marvels "Ultimate Avengers" were pretty crap compared to the amazing source material they had and could of used.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited for all three. It was interesting to see Doomsday in JLU will be very interesting to see how the animated movie plays it out. Too bad we have over a year to wait.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I believe when they announced these at San Diego this year, the word was that these are going to be faithful adaptations of the original comics, and not necessarily based on Timm's work; e.g., the New Teen Titans film will use George Perez's art as the basis for the art direction.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Really? Well, then, I just got a lot more interested. Looking forward to all three of these.

Any word on whether Warner plans to release the DC Filmation cartoons from the 1960s (and the Batman cartoon from the '70s) in 2007? If I recall, they hinted at it in the animation chat.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Everything about this sounds great to me except for the involvment of Duane Capizzi. I hope he proves my apprehension based on his previous work ("The Batman", "Jackie Chan Adventures", "Braniac Attacks") wrong.

Regards,

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

That was my response to the Superman movie too... especially after the terrible reviews "Brainac Attacks" got. So bad, I thought they even made excuses for it at the San Diego comicon

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

See this sounds great, but Marvel's announcment on a direct to DVD release of the Avengers based on Ultimates sounded great too, and ended up very Saturday morning, in a bad way.

As much as these sound good, I can't get too excited for them.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

In the Bruce Timm Retrospective when asked about the show he told the crowd they were working on "The New Fondue", a cooking show. :) Then the next day at the DC panel they announced New Frontier. Based on Timm's previous work I'm not worried about quality issues ala Avengers. These should be pretty top notch films.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

True, but DC actually has contacts with real animation talent (like Mr. Timm). Marvel has never had that, and based on their Ultimates films they're still trying to figure it out.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's really heartening to see that Timm is involved. The New Frontiers should be great. I hope they emulate the look of the comics for this one.

Marvel should give up. Avengers 2 was god awful. 20 year old saturday morning animation had more depth of character and better quality animation. It was just shameful for a direct to DVD release. Having read the comic series it was supposed to of been based on didn't help either.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm a little wary of this one. Brainiac Attacks wary. Dumb it down as much as possible for the kids.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
PG-13 would at least allow for the portrayal of the risque-at-the-time Terra/Deathstroke relationship in The Judas Contract, something I presume was left out of the Cartoon Network version.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
Given Timm and companies track record, I have little doubt that these are going to be pretty darn great. I hope though that the animation is different from the typical Timm designs and animation.

The fact that Duane Capizzi is writing these...well, it's not a good thing. But I think that Timm can keep him in check and hopefully get some good material out of him. At least I hope.

Also, I think they're working on a Dark Knight Returns animated film as well. Anyone who's seen the episode of B:TAS called "Legends of the Dark Knight" knows that if they do make a DKR animated film, it will be awesome. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Did anyone see The New Frontier movie yet? I hope to see it in the next few days.

In some other DC Direct movie news, it seems the Judas Contract movie may not happen, according to a report at The World's Finest

Hope that's not true, but it doesn't sound good.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I picked up the New Frontier Blu-Ray. It is pretty entertaining, although the pacing is a bit start and stop. The protracted final battle has a lot of action, but the villain is so vaguely defined that it is less interesting than the character arcs that are almost all tied up by the time it commences. It is a fun take on the JL concept with a very specific mid-late 50s setting.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks