New DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS release pan and scan..?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    There is a series of "Allied Artists Classics" just out, and one of them is the eagerly awaited DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS. Netflix indicates this is "full screen." Is this for real? I was hoping the series would expand to include BILLY BUDD in 2.35:1, but this does not bode well. Has anyone bought any titles in this series and, if so, what kind of quality are we talking? Who actually distributes them?

2. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

I always questioned the so-called "Allied Artist classic" line when they were releasing vhs tapes, as they were using masters from the original allied artist videos from 1978 (!!! Think how that would look? ugly!), and not the cleaner ones from fox or warner video (example, END OF THE ROAD, BILLY BUDD), as I been very suspicious of them before, as some of the titles they released, the right owners of some of the titles they released,told me their license has expired with allied artist, as Warner has given back their material long ago, so you have to wonder....I say if they are saying pan and scan, it probably is!

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I have not seen it so cannot speak for its quality, but this Cheezy Flicks release is a widescreen edition.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

It's a bootleg ripped from the widescreen Image laserdisc.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

There is an slightly cropped NON-anamorphic 2.16:1 edition in the UK: Amazon listing or from Xploited Cinema. DVD Beaver screen-captured review HERE.

There is also a Japanese edition that is double-billed with The Last Man on Earth (1964, Vincent Price) from CD Japan, which is in widescreen, but I cannot be sure if it is anamorphic.

The 1962 CinemaScope film has some excellent atmosphere and suspense, but is far from excellent. My allies in the USA may not be aware that there was an genuinely excellent and more faithful adaptation from the BBC in 1981: IMDb listing.
    This 6-part, 162-minute (or 156 minutes in PAL) version was recently released on DVD in the UK: Amazon listing or from Xploited Cinema. Review HERE.

The 1962 films is Public Domain, isn't it? It really deserves a new hi-def anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer from the negative. Anchor Bay or somebody ought to get a defintive DVD together.

6. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Prefer the tv series myself! [​IMG]

7. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

To be clear, this company purporting to be Allied Artists is definitely of NO connection whatsoever to the original movie company that went out of business in the '70's. The Allied Artists we knew and loved got fused into Lorimar, and all those assets are controlled by Warner Bros.

This company is basically taking PD poaching one step further, using the recognizable name and logo of a bankrupt company under the grey language of copyright law to make themselves look more legit. But basically, they're just another untraceable company peddling the same terrible PD titles around. Don't spend your money with them.

8. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    From what I gathered, the title "Allied Artists" is public domain so this company took that and for some reason thought all their films would be public domain as well. Some say there's a little legal note attached to this film, which allows it to be sold but Warner certainly holds the original material. I've stayed away from this release in hopes that Warner will deliver this in a sci-fi box.

9. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    ALL widescreen DVDs/DVD-Rs are boots of the Image laserdisc, including the PAL disc, which has out-of-sync sound to boot. I'm holding dearly onto my laserdisc until Triffids gets a proper DVD release.

10. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Maybe the bogus Allied Artist s using a very odd clause on the old allied artist tapes. Note they never use the re-mastered fox/key/warner versions, but the old 1978 allied artist. On the old 1978 allied artist pre-record, there is a notice saying the rights for allied artist video to own/distribute expire on 1993 and must be renewed, or something like that. I don have one in front of me, but if you have a old allied artist prerecord, its on the top sticker of the tape/cassette.

11. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Boy, these people are really suckering people in and try to find a contact for them!

I bought "Attack of the Crab Monsters" just because it was a Shock Theater classic and is one of the worst transfers I have ever seen even for b/w. It is washed out, fuzzy, and obviously from a tape because of the early tracking problems seen transferred to DVD!

Just wish legitimate releases would come about for them as well. Remember, the Midnite Movie series from MGM released some of Allied Artist movies and a lot od AIP but since that series is in limbo due to the Sony takeover, wonder what is next for them?

12. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

MGM has only released Allied Artists titles when they were one of Roger Corman's Filmgroup productions that AA originally handled, such as BUCKET OF BLOOD, because that deal only stood for a short while and the rights reverted to AIP.

I would believe that when a company inherits another company's assets, they would inherit their intellectual property as well. Which means that WB could sue for use of the logo and name. But WB likely never will because it would be too much time and money to find the perpetrators, and even if WB won the case, it would be hard to enforce any punitive damages because they are so good at hiding their traceability. They're like terrorist sleeper cells; frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if one day we learned that Front Row or Edde or any of these other anonymous firms were Al Qaeda fronts!

13. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

I just watched the R2 Xploited Cinema version and I didn't notice any sound sync problem.