NEW "Dark Star" DVD in the works!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Allred, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    As some of you might know, I helped get Dan O'Bannon hooked up with MGM for "The Return of the Living Dead" DVD (and headed the internet campaign) and recently I've done the same regarding Dan's first film, "Dark Star" (directed by John Carpenter.)

I'm very happy to be the first to announce that a NEW DVD for "Dark Star" will be released. Here is the letter I received from the president of VCI Home Video (the company that owns "Dark Star".)

--------

"Dear Michael,
    I wanted to let you know that I have spoken with Dan O'Bannon today and he confirmed he would be happy to help us on redoing the DARK STAR DVD. He was very busy but said he would call me on Monday to work out the details.

This is very exciting news and I don't mind if you want to be the first person in the world to announce on your website that we will be doing a new SPECIAL EDITION DVD, which will feature, at the least, a new digital anamorphic widescreen transfer - enhanced for 16x9 monitors. I'll keep you posted on more details as they are worked out.

I appreciate all your help in making this happen.

Best regards,
    Robert A. Blair, President
    vci entertainment"
    -----------------

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Spectacular news! Maybe they can even include answers to the trivia questions from the prior release. [​IMG]
    DJ

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

That would be very nice, Damin - it's driving me crazy trying to figure who was on LSD!
    Consider this post a down-payment on a re-purchase. [​IMG]

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

Here's hoping that they still include both versions of the film as featured on the current release.

Johnny B.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Suggestions for VCI:

-Encode the seamless branching better to make watching the shorter version less jarring
    -Find a print that doesn't blur out the nude pin-ups.

DJ

6. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

A commentary with Carpenter and O'Bannon would be awesome, too...

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

This is an instant buy when released

8. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

HOT TAMALE! I'm all over this one.

I'm also for a better seamless branching, and for the complete restoration of the original theatrical cut as well as the special edition cut. As much as I respect Dan's opinion, I can't help but like the longer theatrical cut better. Personal opinion is a fickle thing after all.

Either way I'll buy it, I'm just hoping the theatrical version gets the same treatment.

9. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

And on the flipside I'd just like to say how much I prefer the "Special Edition" (ie the shorter one)! It's a MUCH better film IMHO!
    Extras: Two complete versions on two discs (if real seamless branching is too expensive). No blurring on the "pin up wall" in the longer cut (it's REALLY horrible looking!). COMMENTARY COMMENTARY COMMENTARY - the more the merrier! Original cast! Plus a separate John Carpenter one if he doesn't want to do one with our man Dan!
    Interviews with the cast and crew! Documentary on the film's humble beginnings and (later) grander life. The original script on DVD-Rom, (in text format). Subtitles! (I've always wanted to know what Pinback's story was as the other two babble about "three years" - it's much funnier!)
    Phew. Um, anthing else they might be able to come up with?
    ~ John

10. Michael Allred

Michael
    Great ideas for extras guys. I'm positive VCI will do a GREAT job on the DVD.

11. Michael Allred

Michael
  12. Michael Allred

Michael
    Some news for everyone

I received a letter for "the man" himself, John Carpenter, today.

While he has "great affection" for the movie and would "love to see a special edition", he will NOT work with Dan O'Bannon on the DVD in any way. Apparently after 20+ years, the bad blood between the two is still running deep.

Kinda sucks, I know but you can't force people to work with each other if they don't wanna.

I'm glad Mr. Carpenter took the time to contact me anyway. At least we know what to expect (or not to expect in this case) regarding the DVD. Still, O'Bannon is involved and 1 outta 2 ain't bad.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    With all the insider contacts you're developing, Michael, any chance you can connect Don Coscarelli with Universal and get us Phantasms II and III? [​IMG]
    (Actually, I'd be even more interested in seeing Richard Matheson rounded-up to do commentary on an Incredibly Shrinking Man disc!)
    At any rate, this is exciting news. I look forward to purchasing both Return and Dark Star.

14. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Mike: Why can't John record a commentary track SEPARATELY? Just because he doesn't want to work with Dan doesn't mean he shouldn't have his say on the DVD. I don't think he'd even have to SEE Dan to record a track... couldn't he just 'phone it in' (so to speak - not literally obviously! [​IMG]).
    It seems silly to let a film you worked on so hard suffer just because of bad blood... The only people who are losing out here are US! If he hates Dan so much then why is he letting him have all the say on the DVD?
    Hmmmm.
    I don't suppose you'd even think of asking him to record a SEPARATE track for the DVD so he give us HIS point of view?
    Also: Any chance of getting the cast together for a documentary or commentary? It'd be great to hear what they're all up to now at least!
    Great work Mike, I still look forward to the DVD release regardless!!
    ~ John

15. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

O'Bannon made a caustic comment about a comic book series I wrote, The Last Voyage of Sindbad, in Heavy Metal magazine when they were serializing it, so I don't have any personal love for the man, but damn...Return of the Living Dead is one of my all-time favorite zombie flicks and Dark Star is a hoot! I'll definitely buy the former, not too sure about the latter.
    Thanks, Mike Allred! Are you the MA of Astroesque/Madman fame?
    Jan Strnad

16. Michael Allred

Michael
    John, I did respond to Mr. Carpenter about doing something for the DVD on his own. We'll see if that gets his interest, I certainly hope so.
    As for the other cast members, neither VCI or I know how to contact them. VCI certainly seemed interested in maybe doing some interviews with them for a DVD but we're at a loss as to how to find them.
    and no, I'm not the comic book guy. [​IMG]

17. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I remember in the late (very late) 70s and early 80s, Dark Star was often shown with Hardware Wars ("You will laugh, you will cry, you will kiss your 3 bucks goodye.."). Wonder where Hardware War is now.

18. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

19. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Great news. I hope they put the two versions of the film on two different discs.
    Michael, you really seem to be on a roll here with Return and now a Dark Star SE. How's your The Resurrected petition going? [​IMG]

20. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

I wonder if John Carpenter know about the website www.dvdtracks.com? It is a site with homemade commentary tracks. Mr. Carpenter could record his own commentary to Dark Star and say WHATEVER HE WANTED TO (providing is isn't slanderous) and post it himself. This way he could give us his version of everything that happened.
    Jimmy!