What's new

New Dances With Wolves review at DVDfile (1 Viewer)

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Here is the link...

Anyone considering replacing their DTS 2-disk set from Image? The new footage may push me, but, I'm still not sure...

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
I used to own the laserdisc box set with the four-hour version, and while it has a few interesting additions, many scenes from the new footage were simply redundant, so I still prefer the original three-hour version. However, after reading that review on DVD File, the new DVD seems worth purchasing for the extras alone...so I'm on the fence.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
If the extra footage is deemed redundant - which it appears to be - I'll pass on this one.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I own the two disc dts version and wasn't planning on upgrading. I used to own the extended version laserdisc and I'm familiar with the added scenes. I'm torn because the 82 minute documentary sounds interesting to me and the two new screen-specific audio commentaries that are included, the first with Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson, and the second with director of photography Dean Semler and the editor Neil Travis has really picked my interest. I may wait until after the release and see if I can find this on ebay for a lighter price unless there's a good deal on a preorder price.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have the existing Image disc and I'll be buying the new one - but not to replace the Image. It will sit right there on the shelf next to the original, just like Apocalypse Now & AN Redux, and The Exorcist & TVYNS. I am a completist!

I'll be buying the new one because (1) I've never seen the extended version, and (2) the new commentary & docu both sound excellent.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I own the original Image release plus the DTS version and I plan to buy this relesase too. I myself do not see the purcahse as an either or proposition. I think Dances With Wolves and Dances With Wolves: Extended Cut should be seen as two separate things, if two separate films. I will never get rid of my DTS version because I think the picture and sound quality of that release are amazing. I also will not get rid of the original Image release because it has the theatrical version all on one disc. I like what I read in the review, but man the review was poorly done in many ways. That sloppy cut and paste job in the first section, come on. DVDfile quality over speed, please!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll be getting the new one (eventually) to go alongside the original and my LD box set. I still don't see how they can advertise the long cut as an Oscar winner though - it's a different movie.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Much like with Lord of the Rings releases, I wanna have both versions. Firstly, it's two different cuts of the film, and secondly, there are different extras. If 2 new commentaries and an 82-minute doc (not to mention the extended cut) don't sway you, I really don't know what will.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I am going to purchase this. I won't be replacing the DTS version though. But I do want to check this version out and the Documentary that comes along.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm on the fence about added footage. In some movies, like T2 I thought the added footage was stupid, and will never watch it again. But in cases like LOTR:EE, I probably will never watch the original again.

I loved this movie so I'll give this a shot.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know where I can get the DTS theatrical cut that image produced (now OOP)?
I've seen them at Best Buy. They have had a ton of them. Might check there. I could look around here if you want. Just PM if you need me to.

I've seen the original Image and the DTS and indeed the Full bitrate DTS is better IMHO. The image is stellar with the ONLY caveat being its on 2 discs. NO big deal IMHO with its length.

I may rent the Extended Cut but I don't plan on buying it. I didn't like the movie THAT much to rebuy it. I liked it enough to buy the DTS original version and have seen it 3 times now since then(couple months).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I will be getting this version because I like the 4 hour version and have not seen the 82 min docu

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks