1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

"NEW" Dahlqusit Speaker Line

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Dydula, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Hello!

Having recently purchased a set of Dahlquist Speakers from the Audioshop in Canada, I want to share this information with the readers out there!

When you can get good stuff at great prices, life is good!

I found out that with NAFTA (trade agreement) you can buy certain loudspeaker stuff from Canada and use the favorable (to USA citizens) USA dollar to Canadian dolalr (loonie). You can get a whole lot for your dollar!!

After much searching for a home theater set of speakers and discovering and listening, I settled in on the "new' Dahlquists and have not been unhappy with the decision overall.

As I was pondering the thought of a great sounding home theater setup, I was also thinking would it not be also great to have the same speakers work well with good old 2 channel stereo.....

I found a wonderful and 'affordable' compromise, an entire 5.1 speaker system for $1500 delivered!

I have the OX10's for the mains and the QX60C for the center, I elected for the top end bookshelf QX6's for the surrounds and the 125 subwoofer.

I have a fairly small room and worked hard to get the placement right.

The result is an awesome system that for a relatively low dollar amount works very well as a home theater and equally as well as a 2 channel stereo setup for all those old great CD's..

The most important thing to me when buying speakers is "how they sound" The tonality of the speakers...guitar, female voice etc, the QX10's do a marvelous job of this..music sounds very natural and airy...I find myself forgetting about the technology and really enjoying the music!! This to me is very important!

The QX6's are also equally impressive, they have wonderful tonality as well...and what bass for such a small box, very well defined.

Hope this helps some of the people out there that dont want to spend and arm and a leg, but still be able to get some really good equipment at a decent price!!

Smiling Alot
    Alex

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Good show Alex, I have a set of the QX6's they are a great deal even for Canadians! I love them, they are so smooth and clean. And the bass is excellent. I'm sure you system sounds amazing!

3. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Alex,

Given the 4 ohm load of the QX10s, what are you using to drive them? Glad you're enjoying the Dahlquists!
    Cheers.

DS.

4. Philip A

Philip A Agent

I second Alex's take on the Dahlquists. I have the same system (except for M&K sub and a QX4 for the rear center in my 6.1). Very pleased. Clarity, SPL, soundstage, imaging, and build-quality are all above expectations. Give Marc Hallam at Ottowa's Audio Shop an email--he has been incredibly helpful. He sells Axioms, Totem, Paradigm, etc. so he can help with comparisons, too.
    http://www.audioshop.on.ca/
    In reponse to the QX10s being 4 ohm, I have a Yamaha 1200 which has a 4-8 ohm switch for the mains. However, Marc can probably tell you if amps/receivers without 4 ohm switching have been a problem with them or not...

5. Davie_T

Davie_T Auditioning

Do you think the QX10 is too much bass with a sub. I am pondering the QX9's since I have a SVS sub. What are your thoughts on this? My room is 16 wide x 22 long.

Thanks,
    David

6. Alex Dydula

Hello to All!

I am driving it with two sources, when I watch movies I have a new STR-DA4ES from Sony...works very well for $641!!

I have an old but really great PS AUDIO 200watt amp that is built like a TANK. (which I am selling, sad!!)

The SONY is 100+ watts (7channels) only using 5.1

No problem getting ear shattering sound levels with either.

I would definetly have the sub with even the qx10's, the .1 sub material comes home here....I have done both the sub really makes the movies come alive, but makes the 2 ch stereo a bit muddy...you can play with the crossover and the amplitude stuff...but when I go into 'purist' mode I use only the QX10's for cd, they are close to full range and do very, very nicely!! (when you consider the price its even better!!)....

I have a very small room and thought the qx10's would be too big...aint so, I am very glad I got them...

Thr room I have it the typical room over a two car garage, with wierd ceiling...12' wide, 18 long..8ft ceiling...spen a few days in placement and still am amazed how well these speakers play!

I do understand they would even have a better soundstage in a larger room, but that's life...a compromise...

Alex
    Now back to listening!

7. Alex Dydula

Davie T:

Some more thoughts...your room is bigger than mine, and I would definetly would go with a sub, believe it or not possible two!!! yes two!

I have the SONY receiver set to 4 ohms also..

Alex

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

9. Philip A

Philip A Agent

As for QX10's bass in 2 channel, it is very impressive. I won't go way down (in the 30 hz and below), but can handle obscene amounts of power and cone excursion. I have a sub (12" M&K) and it does round out the bottom in an even more satisfactory way. I don't know what the QX9's will do--from the pics they don't seem to have the same bass drivers as the 10's (the 10's have some beefy long-excursion drivers). Good luck... Don't forget that Marc at Audio Shop will be very helpful to talk to--he has been a straight shooter for me.

10. Alex Dydula

Philip,

I had a pair of Mirage M1's several years back, all 180 pounds each!! Wonderful Speakers, really FULL range, and your correct the QX10's are not like the truly large and capable M1's and a few others, but they do great for the price performance range, and are very musicaly to my ears.

One of the recordings (CD) I have is Richard Souther's Cross Currents CD that has many synthetic low frequency 'rollers' that the M1's belted out oh so well, the QX 10s' let you know it there, but just do not do these certain frequencies justice!

Life is a comprise, not many readers probably have had the luxury to experience these really awesome dynamicas in their own home listening room.

I miss this overwhelming low end, but not as much as I thought....thank God most music is NOT in this area!!

One of these days I will try the Telarc Cannons for the 1812 again!!

(smile!)
    Alex

11. Philip A

Philip A Agent

Alex,
    I hear you about really impressive low end. The best I ever heard was in a Lincoln Town Car! The guy had two 18" subs, four 12" bass drivers, and a host of 6-8" mid-bass drivers. He had dropped over $30,000.00 in it! Frankly after that, everything is downhill...

However, as you said, I am very impressed and pleased with the Dahlquists for so many reasons. Probably most of all is the comments I get from family and friends who nod their heads knowingly--"this is what music and theater should sound like."

Good luck with Telarc's Cannons!
    Phil

P.S. LanceJ nice pics of the original Dahlquists. Great to see vintage equipment. I had a pair of Electrovoice Patricians with the 18" woofers--they were as large as the old Klipsch corner horns.

12. Alex Dydula

I had a pair of ElectroVoice Interface A's many years ago with a new fangled widget called a 'passicve radiator' or what I call a woofer with no drive!! (SMILE!!).

These were really neat, until after about 2 years the passsive 10" radiator literally fell out of the speaker enclosure, rotted!!

And I was trying to sell them!

The car stuff is absolutely ludicrous!! I hate these guys when they drive past my house when I am trying to listen and watch a good movie (smile)....

Oh to be young and foolish again!

The pix of the earlier Dahlquists are neat to see!! Cool!

Have you guys biu-wired the Dahlquists?? I did the mains and the center, I didnt do the rears but am thinking of it, I think its to the point of real diminishing returns for the surrounds to be bi-wired, but what the heck, I have the wire just need to run a few more runs!

Alex