New Dahlquist owner - urgent question about speaker woofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SeanDM, Jan 7, 2003.

1. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I just unboxed my new Dahlquist speakers and while giving them the once-over, I have found that the center of the woofer on one of the QX8's is pushed in. I looked at the other one and it definitely should be out. I think that would be convex as opposed to concave.
    The question is, how big of a problem is this and should I even bother to hook them up? Will the speaker have to be replaced? I'm guessing that it will.
    This is pretty disappointing considering how badly I've been waiting to get these things hooked up. [​IMG]
    Interesting side note...all the specs for the Dahlquist list the impedence as 6 ohms (for most of their speakers), but the back of all the speakers I received says 8 ohms. I have 2 QX8's, 2 QX4's and a QX50C center channel.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

it shouldn't affect the sound much at all...

but i'm sure if bothers you....and it has to me with my speakers...so i just used some tape to pull it out...start with applying the tape very lightly to the dented in part and then just pull out fast....if no luck...press the tape into the dented in part a bit more so it sticks to more of it...and...or....use a stronger tape

3. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Sean,

Where did u buy them?? Call them and tell them what happened, if its Marc in Ottawa he will help you out I am sure.

Alex

4. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Yes, I got them from Marc, and I'm certain he will be helpful about it. Interestingly, there are no unusual marks or dents on the woofer center (like it was pushed in), it almost looks like it was made that way. Anyway, I'm a complete newbie at all this, so my first reaction was panic. [​IMG]
    I suppose I will go ahead and hook them up. I'm dying to hear them. I got them in the cherry finish and they sure look good.

5. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

true...if they are brand new speakers it shouldnt be there...and the dealer should easily take care of it

6. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hi Sean,
    Sorry to hear of the trouble.
    If the dust cover on the woofer is pushed in, it won't harm the sound but it does look awful. They should be perfect.
    I'll get a new woofer out to you by Fedex tonight so you'll have it for the weekend. Sorry about that!

7. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Thanks Marc for the quick response. Per our phone conversation, I didn't realize that the visible "speaker" was just a dust cover the actual voice coil, so sound quality should not be affected. And, by the way, in the short amount of listening time I've had, they do sound excellent. I'm looking forward to giving them more of a workout this weekend.

Your reputation for excellent customer service is well-deserved, and I would encourage anyone looking at speakers to give Marc a call. It's not often you find a combination of quality product, great pricing and excellent service.

8. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

My hats off to Marc!!! He has helped me out in a similar situation, truly customer orientated!!! He is on these forums a lot and goes out of his way to be helpful!!

My Dahlquists are still performing very well!!

Alex

NOTE: It seems that these new Dahlquists are very easy to replace a speaker if needed, just four screws and detach speaker wires, attach new wires to new speaker and reinstall...i replaced a tweeter and was in pain thinking i would have to send the entire unit back to the manufacture,not so....a 5 min job and back on line!! AWESOME.

9. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Yes, Marc said the woofer would be a snap to replace...just as you described, about a 5 min. job. Another plus for the Dahlquists.

10. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I got the woofer yesterday (a day early) and installed with no problems. Thanks Marc!