New DA4ES, I Have Questions!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bill Mullin, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

I set up my new DA4ES, then I studied the manual cover-to-cover, testing everything that wasn't 100% clear to me. Since the manual isn't that good (IMHO), I then did searches in this forum for more information. What follows are questions for which I still haven't been able to find answers:

1. If I want EQ bank 1 for movies and EQ bank 2 for music, I have to manually switch the EQ bank when I change function. Is there a way to memorize which EQ bank I want for each function?

2. This question is very similar to the previous question: If I want Prolog II:Movies for movies and Prolog II:Music for music, I have to manually switch the surround mode when I change function. Is there a way to memorize which Pro Logic surround mode I want for each function?

3. What is the difference between Wide, Mid, and Narrow widths on the EQ Midrange setting for front and center speakers? The manual does a terrible job explaining this and the graph on the OSD doesn't clarify the manual at all!

4. If I switch both my A and B front speakers on, the receiver automatically switches over to 2-channel stereo. This is in accordance to the manual, but why is this necessary?

5. When there is an option of choosing coax or optical sound input for a particular function, the manual always says to choose coax. Why would this be? I'd always heard that optical cable gave the best audio!

6. What is the best EQ setting to maximize dialog clarity in the center channel? I'm trying to end the, "Huh, what did s/he say?" syndrome!

7. Is there a link out there called "Getting the most out of your DA4ES", or "Tips on using your DA4ES", or "Getting the most out of your Sony A/V Receiver", or something of this nature? Such a link would be very useful for me, as well as to others I'm sure.

BTW - thanks for all the great posts relating to receivers. After reading messages for a couple of weeks, including searches way back into the past, the DA4ES was clearly the best choice for my needs! So far, I've been extremely happy with it - and it puts my old DA333ES to shame!

TIA, Bill

2. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

Good post....I am sorry i don't have answers for ya.

TTT

3. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Being a purist, I dont muck with equalization....I use some pretty good speakers and never had a use for tone controls or equalizers...even thought they can make or break some listening room situations.

For the clarity of dialog, I have always set up the center front speaker up 1-3 db on the receiver to help if this is a problem...not with the equalizer.

Best of Luck, I really enjoy my 4Es also..great buy.
    Alex

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Brad:

6. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

7. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

9. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

From a theoretical point - there should be no difference between the optical or coaxial connecting to get the digital data from one component to the other. Both send the same data.

What affects the signals is the practical implimentation, that is the components used. The coax connectors and cable, including proper impedance matching on that coax cable - audio patch cables don't work. The optical transmitter and reciever as well as the optical cable construction and the clean-ness of its edge (interface to the optical transmitter & receiver) play a roll in the optical realm. In both cases, the clock must be extracted from the signal at the receiving end and how the digital pulses are modified affects the accuracy of that clock extraction (and the judder or jitter heard).

I find it funny that the 4ES manual says use a coax cable if possible, but has 5 optical and only 2 coax inputs on the back.
    Is this Sony's way of saying, we use low quality optical interconnect parts in our 4ES, or are they saying, given all the variables, most folks like the coax path better than the optical?

The fact that the 4ES cannot remember which 2.0 mode it was in, based on the input source, is purely a software limitation. As its a digital processor, such things are all in software - why Sony doens't fix this, is beyond me - especially given that you have Dolby ProLogic II (btw Prolog is a programming language) Movie and Music modes. Another Sony Bony.

For why it switches to only 2 channel mode, I'm guessing that s because the A+B is thus driving the 2nd set of Left/Right speakers with the same signal -it makes no sense for a 5.1 or whatever multichannels source, or does it? For video sources, is that to listen to stereo soundtrack while in the john as the movie continues to play - as your need? I'm guessing Sony is thinking, you would use this A+B mode to listen to stereo material (cd, tuner, tape, md, etc) - by turning off the other channel amps, the A+B mode (in parallel apparently) thus have more power available to them and properly balanced. If you had, say 5.1 on, in THEORY, the extra back amps could drive the B speakers, but appareantly Sony didn't design it that way. However, in 7.1 mode, it would then have to turn OFF 2 channels to drive the B speakers (it cannot just hang the B speakers off of the A speaker amps as that would muck up the relationship between the A's and the surrounds).

10. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

When running A+B, the two pairs of speakers are connected in parallel (confirmed by Aaron). The effective impedance will therefore be lowered by 50%, resulting in much higher demand on the power supply.

11. Tiggs75

Tiggs75 Auditioning

I am also having some issues with my DA4ES and could use some help. I recently upgraded to an HDTV and have a new HD satellite receiver, but am still using my original DVD player. Instead of hooking up the audio with the old RCA cables, I am using optical digital cables for the audio. I have the front speakers, the surround speakers, and the subwoofer hooked up to the receiver. The problem is that when set for "Normal Surround" I am getting all but the dialogue coming through the speakers and I can't determine why. Is it because I have not hooked up the center speaker yet and that's where the dialogue is supposed to come from? I've messed around with every audio setting and the only time all the audio comes through 100% is when it's set on 2-Channel Stereo, which I don't want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You have to turn the center channel off in the speaker setup menu, then the center sound will be sent to the R&L mains, aka Phantom Center.