New D-ILA - Bad set, or am I an idiot?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joseph DeMartino, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Got a great deal on a JVC 56" D-ILA set. (The 720p model. Could not justify the extra money for the new 1080p.) Out of the box, HD looked pretty darned good, SD stuff looked worse than crap. Ran DVE on both component inputs, then connected the digital cable box to one of them and a DVD player to the other. A few days later picked up a longer HDMI cable and used that connection. Everything still looked good. Turned the set on last night - standard def stuff is back to looking like crap (literally unwatchable, like snow in a bad UHF signal on a 1960s vintage color TV.) HD still looks great.

I have the same model cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR) connected to my Westinghouse 27" flat-panel LCD and all channels look fine. Before I call Best Buy, or JVC, or Adelphia, I thought I'd post an SOS here to see if there is something perfectly obvious that I'm missing (since I've just retired my old Toshiba 56" CRT NTSC widescreen set and have only dipped a toe into the HD water in the last month.) D-ILA is a new ballgame to me, and frankly so is component video, HDMI and HD in general. Do I have a bad set, DVD, connections or is the problem between the screen and the couch, to vary an expression we use in IT? [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    P.S.:

Yes, I realize that the answer may be "both". [​IMG]

Joe

3. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I don't know you well enough to call you an idiot but I feel the same way about most of my SD channels through Charter cable. I don't even bother watching any non HD channels on it when the equivelant HD channel is available. [​IMG] As long as HD and DVD look good, i'm happy!

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    So at some point SD looked good? If so, that's a puzzler. I would try hooking up a VCR to the display just for comparison to the cable box. And keep in mind the JVC is twice the size of the Westinghouse and will be all the more revealing of the flaws.