What's new

New customer perplexed by Fios TV and their DVR... (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I hope I'm posting in the right forum for this, but I am a recent subscriber to Fios Television and I'm noticing a few bugs and irritations with the on-screen guide and DVR that I would like to see if anyone else is having problems with...or possibly solutions to...

In regards to the on-screen guide:

1) The on-screen guide defaults back to the beginning (channel 2, etc.) when you press the FAV button (rather than defaulting to the channel you are actually on). I know that it will default to the channel I am on if I use the GUIDE button rather than the FAV button, but this is very irritating because I don't want channels listed in the guide that I don't actually have access to or watch.

2) When I add channels to my FAV list, sometimes there is more than one channel for some networks (for instance, there are two channels showing The Sci-Fi Channel) and I automatically get both listed on my FAV list whether or not I want both listed.

3) When I use the FAV button and start scrolling through the on-screen guide, the last several channels I have selected on my FAV list are sometimes dropped off. This is an obvious bug.

4) I don't like that the selection on the guide is always dead center on the screen and the guide scrolls through that highlight selection...rather than having the highlight selection be moveable around the guide like all the other on-screen guides I've seen previously.

In regards to the DVR:

1) It is very confusing and irritating that the DVR always defaults back to the beginning of its record list. For instance: My wife records Oprah every day and when she gets around to viewing the recorded episodes she often watches a little of each program to see which one she wants to watch. But when she stops playback on an episode and wants to delete it or view some of another one, it defaults back to the first recorded program in the list rather than staying highlighted on the one she was viewing. This has caused her to accidentally erase the wrong program on more than one occasion.

2) When recording a series there needs to be more options rather than just FIRST RUN or FIRST RUN AND REPEATS. I tried to set the DVR to record the new episode of The Simpsons that was on this past Sunday. I wanted to record all the upcoming new episodes so I set it to record all first run episodes in the future. However, it set it to record EVERY episode of The Simpsons (which is on several times every day) since none of the showings are listed in the on-screen guide as repeats. Similarly I've noticed that the guide is often wrong. This Friday's episodes of Stargate Atlantis on the Sci-Fi Channel is listed as repeat in the guide...but it's actually a new episode.

I know that Fios TV is fairly new, and I have high hopes that some or all of the issues my wife and I are having will be addressed in the very near future. As it is, the system is quite a bit harder to use than the Dish Network we gave up to subscribe to Fios...and in spite of the better pricing, we are starting to regret our decision switch.

Am I just programming things wrong...am I crazy...or is anyone else having the same problems?

Your thoughts...

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I haven't noticed the problems, but then again, I haven't paid that close attention to mine in those instances. I haven't used the FAV part of the remote, so I can't even say anything about that. The DVR is my first one (never had Tivo, or one from comcast/dish/etc) so I don't have anythign to compare it to. What I can say though, is that I think the channel guide, as compared to Comcast (who I had before) is absolutely miserable. ***Supposedly*** Verizon is updating their channel guide to a whole new look/feel/functionality. I got a flyer for it back in september (or around there) but so far, they haven't done it.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Well, to their credit, Fios TV called me a little while ago and apologized for my technical issues, and assured me that there will be an update to the operating software before the first of the year that will address at least some of the issues I have had problems with.

While they were on the phone they asked me to go over the list of things I had written about previously for clarification and I was able to get very detailed. Only one or two items were things they had not heard complaints about previously (for instance, the fact that if you program the FAVORITES list of channels you like, and a specific network is shown on more than one channel in their system the second channel is automatically placed in your FAVORITES list too). So we will see how things shape up in the near future.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have had FIOS in my neighborhood for a year now, though because
I have been under contract with DirecTV for a Tivo DVR, I have only
subscribed to FIOS Internet.

My contract with DirecTV is up next month and I am now looking
to switch over to FIOS, mainly because I am sick of compressed HD.

My biggest concern is the Motorola DVR. Being a Tivo owner, I
realize that I'm going to be giving up the slick interface as well as
"backspace" feature that skips a few seconds back after a "FF" through
commercials.

What I need to know is how good/bad is the Verizon DVR? Am I
going to be very disappointed coming off of a Tivo?

Also, these units act as a DVR with dual tuners/two inputs? From
what I hear I can record two programs in the same time slot at once
with one cable card. Is this correct?

What is the MAX HD recording time with their HD DVR?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions I am certain have
already been answered many times before. When threads get this
big it gets difficult to find the exact information I need.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cable cards are not needed with cable company supplied DVRs. You would only need one (or 2) if you go with the HD Tivo. I don't think that any DVR except Tivo has the dual buffer though. That's the only thing I miss on the new D* DVR.

-Robert

manishj15

Auditioning
Real Name
Manish
IMO Fios TV is terrible. The TIVO units are huge and come with a whole host of issues. Dealing with Verizon is probably the biggest issue for me. They failed to show up for the installation twice and I was put on hold and switched around and hung up on for 3 hours before finally being able to reschedule. Only after acting like they were doing me a favor by rescheduling. When they did show up, one of the units didnt work, and the tech wasnt even able to program the one right. When you call them you are on hold for a good 20 minutes and then they transfer you and usually they cant even fix your problem. That lasted a few weeks and then I switched back to Optimum Triple Play. Everything was a breeze. Maybe my experience with Verizon isnt the norm, but somehow I think it is. I was so irritated with Verizon that I even switched my cell service after that.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
FULL DISCLOSURE: I market FiOS.

That being said, FiOS is the best TV you can get. Granted there ARE issues I read about regards the DVR. And sometimes tech support can be difficult to reach. Verizon just opened a new support facility that will employ 400 or so reps.

As for HD, we deliver what the broadcaster gives us. Full 1080I. If all a broadcaster sends is 480 or 720...that's what we send. As recently as yesterday I dealt with an individual who has DirecTV with NEW STB's and was recently told by DTV that they are having "issues" sending 720P, let alone 1080.

What stinks is, I can't get FiOS where I live! Talk about a conundrum...

beetle_slayer

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon

I am happy with my FIOS Motorola DVR. It is my first dvr, so I don't know how well tivo works to compare. I do know this, when fwd thru commercials, it does go back a bit when you hit play--good for when you over shoot the commercial brake.
You can record 2 shows in 1 time slot--you have to watch one or the other though. Otherwise it will ask you to cancel 1 show or it will notify you of future scheduling conflicts. I don't use a cable card; just a dvr/hd/cable box and coax from the wall and hdmi to my tv.
This an option to upgrade to a multiroom dvr box--you can watch recorded shows on standard boxes in your other rooms of the house--my friend has this and loves it.
Back to the original question, you can set up which channels to display in your settings: menu, settings, favorite channels, add/remove channels. You have to set up you fav channels in : menu, settings, favorite chanels, my favorites.
Hope this helps!

Echo 7

Agent
Real Name
Carlos A. Burgos
I too have switched from D-tv to Fios due to their pricing. I have had both DVR's and it does take a bit to get used to ..but, Fios does have better HD signals and colors are spectaculer...(sorry for the spelling). I can't wait till all the channels will be HD. They are so much better on my Sony 46v2500 than the SD channels. Good luck in your decision

Regards,

Echoi 7

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks