What's new

New cube....what to buy? (1 Viewer)

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Let me get this out of the way first: I have an Xbox...love it, still my favorite!

Anyway...my son has been after me for quite some time about getting a Gamecube. I figured that since he did so well in school this year, a Gamecube might make a nice "treat" for him. Soooo.... I picked up a black unit today for him, along with Sonic Adventures, as this was a game he really seemed to like. So far so good, it looks to be a really well built little unit (and I do mean little).

My question to you guys is this: What are the "must haves" for the GC? I've heard about Rogue, SSBM, etc., but what really stands out as a game that every cube owner should have?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Rogue Leader is really cool, but extremely hard. Eternal Darkness is a blast. I really like Luigy's Mansion also, its mindless fun.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Pick up the new WaveBird wireless controller, definitely. There are a lot of people that feel that it is the best controller for a console, ever. And that'd give you guys another controller, so you could play with him in two-player games.

Also, if you don't have a memory card already, get him the new 251 block memory card by Nintendo--holds more than four times what the regular memory card holds, and its only five bucks more.

Since you've already got him Sonic Adventure, if he has a Game Boy Advance, you could get him the Sonic Advance game for the GBA and the GameCube/Game Boy Advance adapter, and he could link the games up that way. This will work with other Cube/GBA games in the future as well.

As far as just games go, everybody loves Super Monkey Ball. The main game is terrific, there are a ton of mini-games, it has some great multi-player modes, and the content is "safe" for everybody. Plus, it can be had for as low as $30 at a lot of places. There is a sequel, Super Monkey Ball 2, coming out in about two months, and I'm already hearing that its better than the first one, though.

Super Mario Sunshine is due out at the end of August and looks to be another amazing Mario game--probably going to be an easy "must buy" for most, if not all, Cube owners. . .

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
In my house, I've got both a 'Cube and a PS2. The Cube gets more of a workout, surprisingly. My most heavily played games are:

Pikmin
Super Smash Brothers Meele
Super Monkey Ball
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness

I've also got Rogue Leader, Crazy Taxi, and a few others, but they don't get as much time in the 'cube as the aforementioned do.

Oh, I've got two wavebird controllers, they're amazing. One 215-block memory card for general usage, and a few 59-block memory cards for specific games (they used to be for general use, but got rotated out when I got the 251).

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
At what age do you guys feel a person could handle RE and ED? My son is just shy of 10 and pretty mature for his age. He has been asking to rent RE for this upcoming weekend....I'm a little unsure about this. I'm not sure if even *I* can handle these 2 games. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They're just videogames, so they're another step away from reality than live-action movies.

ED isn't really scary, its just that it plays around with you, which can be a combination of funny and annoying at some points. It's a creepy game, but it's not really scary.

RE is scary because of the atmosphere. A big, empty mansion with lots of shadows and strange things lying around. And then there's the zombies...

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
It really depends. I'm not sure about a ten year old. My guess would be somewhere around 12 or 13. I'd reccomend renting it and playing it for a while your self and then deciding if it's appropriate for your son. RE isn't just spooky, it can also be pretty graphic (burning zombies, zombie heads exploding, zombies puking up acid etc).

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definitely second Super Monkey Ball. That is such a fun game and I'll play it over and over again. Luigi's Mansion is fun and pretty easy to beat. Another game I would recommend is Sega Soccer Slam. Invite a couple friends over and this game is a blast. The characters are great in this game.

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
Nice treat for him?!?! Come on man theres plenty for you and more coming, I just can't understand the xbox owners thinking these days! :D
Get These games now:
Rogue Squadron
Waverace Bluestorm
Super monkey ball
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness = game of the year in many peoples minds, simply amazing.
MX Superfly
Accesories:
GET FOUR WAVEBIRD CONTROLLERS NOW, BEST CONTROLLER YOU'LL EVER OWN.
S-Vid Cord or component.
and also the interact 8meg mem card!
Plus... Star Fox, Metroid Prime, 1080 Snowboarding, Zelda,
F-Zero, Perfect Dark 0, Mario Kart, Resident Evil 0, etc. are on their way and you can only get them on the Cube!:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Willy Burz,
why bother buying a third party "mega" memory card with the release of the Nintendo 251 block memory card? I can't reccomend buying a third party card at all, especially a mega one especially now that Nintendo has finally released the 251.

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
cause its been tested to work well, and it holds 4.5 times as much as the 251.

I do agree with you on all 3rd party stuff but this one area. or... ya could just get two 251, not many burn up 8meg mem cards!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The problem with the 8 meg one is that it's not licensed by Nintendo. If it has the actual GameCube logo (the G-box) on the packaging of the memory card, then it is licensed. Licensed products are tested by the console maker to not be defective (I think that's how it works).

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
That's why they're called 3rd party accessories.

BUT the card has been tested by some gaming sites and they say it works very, very well.

Like I said, not many players will burn up that 8 meg so you could just go with two 251's by Tendo.

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input so far guys...I may rent RE for myself to try before I buy. I am actually quite excited about owning 2 of the newer consoles. I am now able to play a wider range of games.
Oh, btw Paul....do you really feel the need to be "mothered" by a 34 year old man? (Don't let my name fool ya) Baahahahaha!!
:D

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Not sure why many of you all are mentioning RE & ED when she is asking for games for her 10 year old son.

ED and RE are both M rated games, 17 and up... it's your call as a parent as to whether they are sutible for him.

Mario Sunshine will be a MUST BUY when it's released, for both young and old...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks