New Crystal Method on dvd-audio (or maybe DTS-CD)

Discussion in 'Music' started by LanceJ, Mar 22, 2004.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

This might be a little premature but here goes anyway:

According to Nathaniel Kunkel, the guy doing the surround mix, Crystal Method's next album will be issued by DTS Entertainment on, umm, one of their 5.1 formats. Read the small blurb about this on Kunkel's website--you'll have to scroll about halfway down to read it.

I'll be totally honest--I have known of Crystal Method for years (and a guy across from my dorm room in '98 talked about them a lot) but didn't really know what kind of music they played. For some reason I kept mixing them up with Matchbox Twenty & all those other new pop bands popping up in the late 90s (and anyway, I was taking mind-bending graduate courses at the time so I have an excuse for not keeping track of all the new bands! :b ).

But I just checked out their album Vegas on cduniverse.com--NOW I know who they are! [​IMG] Not too shabby--kind of like the trip-hop stuff I like but speeded up.

As I've said before, DTS is the label to watch out for as far as releasing new music in surround form. It's encouraging to see a company taking risks--how else will we move ahead musically, in surround form or otherwise?

LJ

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Me again. [​IMG]

Just out of pure curiosity, I would like to know some HTF member's opinions of this band. Do you think this disc will collect dust on a shelf or will it quietly be bought by its fans? Thanks. [​IMG]

LJ

3. James_P_Clark

I love the Crystal Method but overall electronic music remains a relatively small niche market and the Chemical Brothers routinely run all over the Crystal Method in the block rockin' beat dept. Legion of Boom was largely excellent though I was hoping for a little more 'boom' given the title. I'm not sure how much a new format is going to help move copies of this band though fans will surely be delighted.

jc

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Legion of Boom isn't bad. I think Vegas was the best CD of theirs yet. Legion of Boom should be interesting in 5.1 though.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

James C: most of the reason I asked the above question is because it seems that while niche music doesn't sell nearly as much as the stuff by Britney & her colleagues, niche music's fans seem much more loyal to their chosen band(s) and will buy just about anything from them, and on any format.

So while The Crystal Method, Porcupine Tree, Zero7, etc. may not generate lots of profit by themselves, what if a hi-res/surround label were to sign up many such niche bands (and their are lots of them)? Many people are still clamoring for good music, just not from "rockers with walkers" or the latest pop uber-slut.

So I think if the hi-res/surround labels concentrated on the niche bands they would be musically successful and decently profitable in the long run. Wouldn't a business owner value such longevity over making a quick buck......or did I watch The Brady Bunch & Leave It To Beaver too much? [​IMG]

BTW: I do know who The Chemical Brothers are at least and know some of their tunes & IMO their music would also sound great in surround.

LJ

6. George See

George See Second Unit

I'm not too much into electronic music but I would definitly buy this I have heard their Vegas album and it's some good stuff and I think it would sound great in 5.1

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I haven't heard any of their work, but I'm interested in any music in this style coming to DVD-A or SACD. BT recently commented that he's never going to work in stereo again, which I find encouraging.

Would you say that this release will be club/rave oriented? What's the release date?

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

vegas is a stand-out album. it's done so well, it's almost scary. i bought tweekend and didn't think much of it.

however, this type of music in general would work pretty well in a surround-sound format. lots of opportunity to toss little blips and bloops into separate channels.

edit: john, it's definitely got that club/techno/rave type vibe. if you want to give it a shot, absolutely pick up vegas.

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    If you've played Tom Clancy's "Splinter Cell," remember one of the GAP commercials with the rollerbladers, seen Chow Yun Fat's "The Replacement Killers," Wesley Snipes's "Blade 2," or are a fan of Alias you will have heard some of The Crystal Method's work. I'm sure there are other utilizations.

I really liked "Vegas" (and apparently so did a lot of film and commercial producers), "Tweekend" grew on me, and "Legion of Boom" I'm a bit undecided about. I would buy a release in DVD-A as long as it had some serious utilization of the LFE channel. Surround sound I can go either way.

BTW, I believe the CM's type of electronic music is specifically "big beat."

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  11. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I got my hands on DTS Entertainment's Limited Edition Promotional DVD-V of Chrystal Method's "Born Too Slow," and it is simply amazing! The disc has several remixes of BTS - Deepsky's Green Absinthe Dub version is something else - plus the BTS video. The 6.1 mixes in DTS-ES are phenomenal!

If this is any indication of what the upcoming album will sound like, we're in for a treat!!

Cheers,

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Was at Busted Buy tonight and they had two of these discs in stock. The price was $14.99.

13. Felix Martinez

Just rec'd my copy last week - it's fantastic, and it does have DVD-A tracks, in addition to the DTS option. The "Born Too Slow" video is also presented in 16:9 widescreen.

14. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, I'm having to wait until Tuesday so I can use a frequent buyer coupon at a local CD shop. Nothing like getting this for "free."

How's the LFE?

15. Felix Martinez

Heard the album one time thru and found it well-balanced, but some listeners may crave for more LFE. I think the DTS option reveals a bit more low end, but someone else may want to analyze this a bit more - I'm currently wrapping up my next column.

Overall, I liked the disc and mix quite a bit. Very immersive in an expressionistic, appropriate way. Very fitting for the material.

16. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Turns out I had to special order from the store I was planning to patronize. It'll be a week. [​IMG]

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

So I picked mine up at Best Buy today, but my DVD player won't play it. First time ever for me. It has some minor scratching in a circular motion towards the edge. Hopefully another Best Buy will have another copy.

edit:
    Only one other store in the area has it, and they haven't put it out yet. I hate waiting!

18. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I got my copy yesterday but my player won't play the DVD-A layer; works fine with the DTS though. I have the Pioneer 563a, which has a firmware issue with some newer titles. Looks like I'll have to bring it in for service, though I may wait until I get more titles that won't play as it's out of warranty and will cost me 37.50. One consolation is I did get the DVD-A for free using frequent purchaser points at the CD store.

19. jen-w

jen-w Auditioning

Hey Lance
    I'm a big fan of Crystal Method. Saw them last month at Webster Hall in NYC. Great show. My friend and left the show soaking wet from getting down. The crowd was a little laid back but we had a great time. Also the room at Webster Hall is pretty small so we were right up front. Looking forward to a new album.........jen

20. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Do you know for sure that this player is the problem? I have the 563a-s, and the DVD won't recognize. Where would I get it serviced?
    I also tried it in my old Philips DVD player, and it rejected the disc outright, ejecting it shortly after I put it in.