1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

New Criterion OOP-candidate?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristianLiemke, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de
    Is "How to get ahead in Advertising" a new OOP-candidate from the Criterion Collection?

In todays news at TheDigitalBits they listed Bruce Robinson's movie as a new MGM-title, coming 04/01/2003. What about the other films from "Hand Made Films" on the Criterion Collection (Life of Brian, Time Bandits,, Withnail And I, Mona Lisa, The Long Good Friday)?

Has anybody news about the rumor of a new "Brief Encounter"-DVD from MGM? In the chat here at the HomeTheaterForum, John Lowry from "Lowry Digital Images" said, that his company is working on this title for MGM.

"Peter_M_Fitzgerald": What is some of the work you've done for MGM (the current MGM company, I mean, not the MGM films released on DVD thru Warner Bros.)? Thanks much for taking the time to talk with us this evening, it has been quite interesting & informative. Plus a big THANK YOU for all the fine work you've done making so many great films look splendid
    again. Cheers.

"JohnLowry": Brief Encounter. Sabotage. Plus 6 more in the pipeline to be released.
    Thanks for the kind words!

Is "Brief Encounter" going OOP at Criterion? Does this include other "Rank/Carlton"-titles as well, like the films from Laurence Olivier, Powell & Pressburger, other Leans and discs like "A Night to Remember" and "The Importance of Being Earnest?

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I e-mailed Jon Mulvaney about the new Disney-MGM deal and he said as a result the three recent Hitchcocks (Spellbound, Notorious and Rebecca) are almost certainly goners come 2004 and Straw Dogs will only be available for about a year - they were only able to negotiate a limited release window.

It seems that lots of titles in the Criterion Collection are going to start dropping like flies over the next year or so, and all heading over to MGM.

3. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de
    @Jon Robertson:

Thanks for your reply, but I knew these facts already ... and have all Hitchcock-DVDs from Criterion in my collection.

4. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've noticed that a studio called Xenon will be releasing a special edition of The Harder They Come on 1/14/03. If so, will the Criterion edition remain in print?

6. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Yes, the Criterion disc of The Harder They Come is going nowhere for a while yet.

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Well, I guess that answers the question of, "Should I get Spellbound?"

8. Rain

Rain Producer

For what it's worth I emailed Jon Mulvany about this and he said Criterion has no titles which are expected to go OOP in the near future.

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Rain said:

10. Rain

Rain Producer

Sorry, I don't know.

I always email through the website and I've already deleted the response.

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

thanks for the update about the dvd titles
    [​IMG]

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

"Spellbound" is the only Criterion Hitchcock I don't have (I think it's one of his poorer films), but considering this news, I'll probably pick it up anyway... [​IMG]
    But if it's true that Criterion's "Notorious" and "Rebecca" are going OOP, then I strongly recommend a purchase to anyone who hasn't already done so. These are two of Hitch's greatest films and two of the finest DVD editions yet released. Must-haves, both IMO.

13. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

Is "The Lady Vanishes" OOP? I can never seem to find it at any of the three local Best Buys.

14. Fredrik E

Fredrik E Stunt Coordinator

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The moment that news of an near-future/impending Criterion OOP disc comes out, the EBay vultures come out in droves and empty the shelves off every B&M in the area. One reason I'm thankful for the HTF. There are very few OOP Criterion DVDs that I've missed as a result, with the exception of the ones I have no desire to own.

~joseph

16. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Does anyone have the specs for the upcoming MGM release of How to Get Ahead in Advertising? I already have the bare-bones non-anamorphic Criterion release, but I might buy the MGM edition if it's anamorphic.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    if anyone looks for criterions at best buy you'll have a long look.

i very rarely see them there.
    only the ones that contain more mainstream movies.
    with very few exceptions.

18. Shawn RM

Shawn RM Auditioning

19. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Funnily enough, Brief Encounter is one of the few Criterions my local Best Buy carries.

Regarding Spellbound, I'd probably hold off on it simply because there are still a lot of copies of the defective first pressing in circulation (hopefully not for much longer). Of course if you buy from brick-and-mortar stores (where you can check the packaging yourself before buying) or are willing to go to the trouble of sending the disc to Criterion for a replacement you may as well go ahead.

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    shawn there are about 160 titles available from criterion. what do you consider many?

i have seen at the most 5 titles
    at one visit to many best buys i have been to.

i recently bought solaris
    and have within the last few weeks seen, cries and whispers,spellbound, notorious, and a couple others.

but never more then 4 or 5 at a time.
    i repeat again these are only more mainstream titles.
    border's seems to me to have the best
    in store selection but you'll pay
    about full msrp from borders.

if one can, the best place to buy seems to be
    dvdplanet.com. they always have them
    on sale for 35% off.