New Crimson release - "Ladies of the Road" - a question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_T, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I just picked this King Crimson CD "Ladies Of the Road" - which is a brick and mortar distributed Special Edition King Crimson Collectors Club release 2 disc set.

It is basically live cuts taken from 1971 - 1972 and includes 9 cuts on disc 1, and a very long version of 21st Century Schiziod Man on disc 2 (which is really an amalgam of various live guitar solos and sax solos from various performances of the song.

My question is:

On disc 1, cut 9 is supposed to be "In The Court of the Crimson King" - yet it only lasts for about 46seconds. This seems very odd. Does anyone know if this is intentional or do I have a defective copy?

In addition disc 2 basically just cuts off at some indetermined point and never really completes an "entire" version of 21st Century Schizoid Man. I assume this is normal for this release also?

Anyone?

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

That "In the Court..." track is taken from the 18th Collector's Club release, which is longer. They just took a snippet to put at the end. The whole concert is great. This blues version of In the Court was a response to audience who kept yelling for the old stuff. Fripp explained why they played what they play patiently, then for the encore the band came out and did that tune as a humourous response.
    Since the second disc is just a splicing together of solos, there really is no proper end. They just decided to end it abruptly like that, I guess. Notice also the pause in the middle of the track. I think they were just having some fun with the splicing there.
    So, no, your copy isn't defective. [​IMG]
    Definitely check out the Club releases, though. For this band, the 18th (Detroit) and 9th (Summit Studios) are my favorite.

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Mike,
    Thanks for the quick reply. When DGM first announced the Collectors Club I debated whether to join up - I did not. But within the past year they have basically given up the original Collectors Club idea - and offered the discs for sale via mail order to anyone interested (which you most obviously know).

I have slowly but surely been ordering them all. I have about 5 of them so far - and will continue to order more as time passes.

It was just very strange listening to "Ladies of the Road" and hearing the final tune on disc 1 just abruptly end, especially when they had more than enough room to put the entire cut there.

And yes, disc 2 also was strange how it stops playing, then comes back after a minute or so. But again, there was more than enough room on disc 2 to actually add a snippet of the end of the song to bring things to a logical conclusion.

Anyway...keep listening.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer